It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 16:30

Page 8 of 13 [ 258 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 13  Next
What brand is your main LD Player?
 Hitachi  0%  0%  [ 1 ]
 Kenwood  0%  0%  [ 0 ]
 McIntosh  2%  2%  [ 9 ]
 Marantz  1%  1%  [ 7 ]
 Mitsubishi  0%  0%  [ 2 ]
 NEC  0%  0%  [ 1 ]
 Panasonic  7%  7%  [ 40 ]
 Philips  1%  1%  [ 7 ]
 Pioneer  84%  84%  [ 473 ]
 Samsung  0%  0%  [ 0 ]
 Sony  3%  3%  [ 17 ]
 Technics  0%  0%  [ 0 ]
 Theta  0%  0%  [ 1 ]
 Toshiba  0%  0%  [ 2 ]
 Yamaha  1%  1%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 566

Post subject: Re: What brand is your main LD Player?
PostPosted: 27 Aug 2016, 21:08 
Second post
Second post

I have a Pioneer LD-V6080 that I got at a garage sale. If I remember correctly it used to have a 'Property of Frontenac Middle School' sticker on it, but I got it over 10 years ago, so I'm not 100% sure on that. I remember it DID come from a middle school.

Anyway, it sat unused until the other day when I got, like, 16 Laserdiscs for free. It didn't work at first, that Duncan guy said it was probably F'd and I got kinda bummed, I decided screw it, played with some pots, and was watching movies the next night. Love the format, hope to get more. Currently talking about getting another one from that Duncan guy.

PostPosted: 30 Aug 2016, 05:37 
Site Admin
Site Admin

helladamnleet wrote:
Currently talking about getting another one from that Duncan guy.

Well, maybe be careful:

AVOID Duncan Hunter/Bayview Electronics/laserdiscservice.com

Julien

PostPosted: 03 Sep 2016, 05:59 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Well I was hoping to change my vote to Sony this week.

However my "mint" and "fully working" MDP-600 just arrived and has had a chunk knocked out of it in transport. Powers up but that's about all...even tried manually loading a disc and nuthin...

Got another Sony arriving next week that was supposed to be my backup (MDP-650)...one down, one to go, fingers crossed...

PostPosted: 12 Sep 2016, 04:29 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Number two showed up, good stuff, much better packed (Just rolls and rolls of bubble wrap always works the best). Fully tested and full functional! No helicoptering of audio. Yumi Tanimura at Budokan in '93 is glorious from beginning to end. I'm so glad to be back with Sony the one and only. I never should have listened to internet hype and strayed with POSineer. Even when my LoaD-ofShit9 worked the audio was mediocre. Sony understands audio. Now to work on procuring backups and parts to keep me in LD heaven and saving for the holy grail SONY HIL-C1 when one comes up, the heaven of heaven..

Behold:

PostPosted: 14 Sep 2016, 17:48 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

Have to disagree with you on Sony audio from LD players.

My MDP-A3 had issues playing the non AC-3 analog track of most Dolby Digital LDs without horrible static. Never had that issue with Panasonic or Pioneer.

My friend's MDP-333 had the same issue.

And of course, the dark, murky image that seems endemic of Sony LD players.

But hey, if you're not having these issues, more power to you.

PostPosted: 15 Sep 2016, 07:39 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

elahrairrah wrote:
Have to disagree with you on Sony audio from LD players.

My MDP-A3 had issues playing the non AC-3 analog track of most Dolby Digital LDs without horrible static. Never had that issue with Panasonic or Pioneer.

My friend's MDP-333 had the same issue.

And of course, the dark, murky image that seems endemic of Sony LD players.

But hey, if you're not having these issues, more power to you.

Well I don't mess with DD or AC-3, strictly the best digital stereo sound I can get. Wonderful full sound compared to Pioneers that almost sound clipped or compressed to me.

Standing by for the inevitable "oh but you're running optical, it's just zeros and ones". There's a lot more to it than that. That's why different CD players can sound vastly different even using optical out..

PostPosted: 15 Sep 2016, 16:18 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

That's why most audiophiles prefer coaxial to optical. Less "jitter"

PostPosted: 16 Sep 2016, 09:15 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

elahrairrah wrote:
That's why most audiophiles prefer coaxial to optical. Less "jitter"

Well as with everything audio, it's controversial..

PostPosted: 16 Sep 2016, 14:24 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

On the opt vs coax...I prefer a cd player with good dacs built in. I don't like the transport + outboard dac setups unless they have proprietary connections that carry the clock signal. Even then it's still more ideal to have everything in one box with shorter leads, less prone to dropped digits.

It looks like I am picking up a second Theta Voyager (Silver this time). Now I need a second 919E donor.

PostPosted: 16 Sep 2016, 15:51 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

substance wrote:
On the opt vs coax...I prefer a cd player with good dacs built in. I don't like the transport + outboard dac setups unless they have proprietary connections that carry the clock signal. Even then it's still more ideal to have everything in one box with shorter leads, less prone to dropped digits.

I hear that. The Pioneer Elite SACD/DVD-Audio player I have kicks major audio a** with just regular ol' CDs with the analog outs.

PostPosted: 16 Sep 2016, 17:59 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

one of the finest non-ELITE 1980's PIONEER models, 1988 CLD-3030.
the first LD player i ever saw that was love at first sight, on the BAY back around 2001. still have the photo from the old listing;

[Reveal] Spoiler:

some years later, around 2007 or so, i finally got my opportunity to obtain a copy, got the original photo for that listing as well;

[Reveal] Spoiler:

my personal 3030, rebuilt and lightly modded;

[Reveal] Spoiler:

a couple of nice gifts DUNCAN HUNTER/ LDSERVICE generously sent me, not long before he dropped off the radar;
[Reveal] Spoiler:

PostPosted: 16 Sep 2016, 19:10 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

elahrairrah wrote:
substance wrote:

I hear that. The Pioneer Elite SACD/DVD-Audio player I have kicks major audio a** with just regular ol' CDs with the analog outs.

there is a good explanation for it. The digital signal is really 3 signals and a ground. So 4 lines of wires needed. You got the clock signal, left/right trigger and the data stream (and a common ground). both coax and opt are data stream only and ground. Clock and l/r are formatted into the datastream. if there were no losses and errors(due to losses) during the transfer of this signal, you could potentially reconstruct the clock and l/r on the spdif recievers but there is always losses. In one box solutions, there is no conversion to spdif. all 4 leads connect directly into the dac chip as Is2. They typically share the same clock and because they are only inches away from each other, the losses are much lower.

I honestly like the older burr browns. PCM1704 to be specific. Denon DVD-5000 has a pair of these dac chips. it's DVD playback ability is a joke for today's standards but as a CD player its one of the best for the money. It is one of the rare players that has digital inputs. You can actually feed your LD player into it and have the PCM1704s decode your PCM sound. These are true 24 bit r2r ladder type chips. Burr Brown (and all others) discontinued multibit dacs after this chip. All new chips use over and up sampling to mimic multibit chips but they are actually single bit dacs.

PostPosted: 16 Sep 2016, 19:12 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

tasuke wrote:
one of the finest non-ELITE 1980's PIONEER models, 1988 CLD-3030.
the first LD player i ever saw that was love at first sight, on the BAY back around 2001. still have the photo from the old listing;

[Reveal] Spoiler:

some years later, around 2007 or so, i finally got my opportunity to obtain a copy, got the original photo for that listing as well;

[Reveal] Spoiler:

my personal 3030, rebuilt and lightly modded;

[Reveal] Spoiler:

a couple of nice gifts DUNCAN HUNTER/ LDSERVICE generously sent me, not long before he dropped off the radar;
[Reveal] Spoiler:

Duncan was a good guy before, he must have been possessed for all I know :)

PostPosted: 17 Sep 2016, 02:19 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

elahrairrah wrote:
substance wrote:

I always assumed it's pretty simple, you should use the best DAC you have in your rack. So, if your CDP has the superior DAC, analog outs to amp, if not then digital to your best DAC.

I have a Sony CDP-991 but imo the DAC is inferior to the one in my Sony JB-980 QS Minidisc deck, therefore I go digital to that. Same with LD, I let the JB980 clean up the sound before it goes to my amp.

There are obviously knowledgeable people here. Perhaps Substance or somebody could comment on the DACs in my units?

PostPosted: 18 Sep 2016, 06:16 
True fan
True fan

substance wrote:
elahrairrah wrote:
substance wrote:

there is a good explanation for it. The digital signal is really 3 signals and a ground. So 4 lines of wires needed. You got the clock signal, left/right trigger and the data stream (and a common ground). both coax and opt are data stream only and ground. Clock and l/r are formatted into the datastream. if there were no losses and errors(due to losses) during the transfer of this signal, you could potentially reconstruct the clock and l/r on the spdif recievers but there is always losses. In one box solutions, there is no conversion to spdif. all 4 leads connect directly into the dac chip as Is2. They typically share the same clock and because they are only inches away from each other, the losses are much lower.

I honestly like the older burr browns. PCM1704 to be specific. Denon DVD-5000 has a pair of these dac chips. it's DVD playback ability is a joke for today's standards but as a CD player its one of the best for the money. It is one of the rare players that has digital inputs. You can actually feed your LD player into it and have the PCM1704s decode your PCM sound. These are true 24 bit r2r ladder type chips. Burr Brown (and all others) discontinued multibit dacs after this chip. All new chips use over and up sampling to mimic multibit chips but they are actually single bit dacs.

CD playing is a major role of my CLD-95 for this very reason, multibit Burr Brown DACs. It sounds wonderful. :thumbup:

PostPosted: 21 Sep 2016, 03:13 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

I did end up buying another Theta Voyager. This one is silver (also have the black one).

PostPosted: 21 Sep 2016, 16:38 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

forper wrote:
I always assumed it's pretty simple, you should use the best DAC you have in your rack. So, if your CDP has the superior DAC, analog outs to amp, if not then digital to your best DAC.

I have a Sony CDP-991 but imo the DAC is inferior to the one in my Sony JB-980 QS Minidisc deck, therefore I go digital to that. Same with LD, I let the JB980 clean up the sound before it goes to my amp.

There are obviously knowledgeable people here. Perhaps Substance or somebody could comment on the DACs in my units?

I do the same thing for my LD captures.

I use a CLD-97 to capture music videos off of LD, but the CLD-97 has only a 1-bit DAC. So I feed the digital out to my Yamaha Minidisc deck which has a 20-bit DAC. Much better results for video/audio capture.

PostPosted: 21 Sep 2016, 21:47 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

My very first player was a Pioneer LD-660. That was followed by the Sylvania VP-7200 and the CLD-909. The next "main" player I had was a CLD-3030 and LD-W1 that I bought together. When the 3030 died, I purchased a CLD-D703, which I still have. I also still have the original LD-W1.

Over the years, I've tried to re-purchase every player model I owned over time. I've gone a little overboard, as you see from my current player list here. I replaced the CLD-909 with the CLD-1010, because I really didn't like the 909 and the 1010 had the same "swing up" CD motor assembly the 909 had.

Magnavox VC-8010
Pioneer CLD-1010
Pioneer CLD-3030
Pioneer CLD-3070
Pioneer CLD-D703
Pioneer DVL-919 (US)
Pioneer DVL-919 (Japan)
Pioneer DVL-919E x2 (Region unlocked)
Pioneer LD-1100
Pioneer LD-660
Pioneer LD-V1000 x2
Pioneer LD-V8000 x2
Pioneer LD-W1 x2
Pioneer PR-7820 x5
Pioneer PR-8210
Pioneer VP-1000 x3
Sylvania VP-7200

PostPosted: 22 Sep 2016, 02:01 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

:o I wish I had that many backups! Right now my backup is a poorly functioning LD-S9 and that's it!

elahrairrah wrote:
forper wrote:

I do the same thing for my LD captures.

I use a CLD-97 to capture music videos off of LD, but the CLD-97 has only a 1-bit DAC. So I feed the digital out to my Yamaha Minidisc deck which has a 20-bit DAC. Much better results for video/audio capture.

I didn't even think of bit depth. I'm just a dumb guy, go by feeling rather than specs but looking up my JB980 on MD Community page it looks like the specs are as follows:

Quote:
Specs: 1-Bit current pulse S-TACT DAC, 1-Bit Sigma-Delta ADC (24 bit sampling), Frequency Response: 5-20kHz +/-0.3dB, SNR >100dB

http://www.minidisc.org/part_Sony_MDS-JB980.html

I don't know what half that junk means but I doubt any LD player (maybe higher end Sony's) comes close. And in reality I know it already, from my experience. All I know is anyway "This DAC sound good, that DAC sound bad" and the best sounding DAC I have is the 980.

PostPosted: 13 Oct 2016, 06:00 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hello!

For everyone owning a Pioneer device here (LD, DVD/LD, etc.), I updated the Mint-o-Matic page to provide a direct conversion of Pioneer Serial numbers from 1975 to 2000.

If you have a LD player manufactured after 2000 (CLD-R5, HLD-X9, Combi LD/DVD player), could you send me your serial number for test? Thanks!

As a quick check, some devices I own:

• LD-S9 QI1004529P = September 1996
  • LG-1 QE1008852T = May 1996
  • LG-1 ML1004195YD = December 1992

Enjoy!

Julien

Page 8 of 13 [ 258 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 13  Next