It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 14:51

Page 4 of 5 [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Choose my first LD player
PostPosted: 31 Mar 2018, 16:06 
True fan
True fan

I have 2 503s and neither of them work right, One was working ok but had issues with the loading mech, then one day I shorted out something in the video circuit and it stopped playing LDs, then I picked up a second cheap one off ebay that had a broken tray but was reported to play discs, well when tested it must certainly did not play discs and the mech on that one was completely haywire doing all sorts of crazy things.

My guess is the both have issues on one or more of the circuit boards, sadly electrical diagnostics is not my strong point, I'm much better on the mechanical side.

Can't offer much advice beyond that probably Kurtis is the one to talk with or Grasshopper since you seem to be in touch with which is good to hear.

Last edited by sjoerg on 31 Mar 2018, 18:11, edited 1 time in total. _________________
-LD Collection

PostPosted: 31 Mar 2018, 16:07 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

discolaservision wrote:
I'm now bidding for another one on Yahoo Auction it's the Pioneer CLD-99S (Equivalent to CLD-3030 in US) it's a little dusty but claimed to have no issues on the player.
But the starting bid are at 1 yen and bid 2 yen for it and if I win then seems like a pretty good player to try my luck at again since I'll basically pay for the shipping not the item.
I wish I knew better to bid low as hell because even if I pay top dollar for one of these doesn't mean it will work by the time it on my deck.
(I still feel the pain by the sight of that damaged V2600)
At this point any LD player of any makers would suffice for me now I just want one that works to test out few of the rare anime LDs I got for f**k's sake!

3030 is a nice player but I'm sure you already know the best players are working ones :thumbup:
People can stroke off all day and say this or that player is the best but at the end of the day the real best player is a working player as
there are very few to no parts available anymore.

I am in touch with grasshopper, he's been busy with other stuff and helps me out if I have issues on my players, but then again I'm still picking up players from him as I'll stockpile them.

PostPosted: 31 Mar 2018, 18:20 
True fan
True fan

rein-o wrote:
3030 is a nice player but I'm sure you already know the best players are working ones :thumbup:
People can stroke off all day and say this or that player is the best but at the end of the day the real best player is a working player as

This is really true, even shipping insurance can't compare to testing a player in person and seeing it work, I have repeatedly learned the hard way by not doing this, I'm not sure it's the best thing to push your luck again, but perhaps this time will turn out better.

The 3030 is by reputation is a very solid player although personally I have not had good luck with that series as with the 503s.

You can buy a player with no parts support but if it is in good condition with low use it may work well maintenance free for a long time...

PostPosted: 08 Apr 2018, 05:34 
Honest fan
Honest fan

sjoerg wrote:
rein-o wrote:

This is really true, even shipping insurance can't compare to testing a player in person and seeing it work, I have repeatedly learned the hard way by not doing this, I'm not sure it's the best thing to push your luck again, but perhaps this time will turn out better.

The 3030 is by reputation is a very solid player although personally I have not had good luck with that series as with the 503s.

You can buy a player with no parts support but if it is in good condition with low use it may work well maintenance free for a long time...

I just won the player for 1 yen but yeah the expensive part are the shipping and it's a little over $110.
I actually tried to send the F1 for repair but the repairman for LD been out for years due to lack of customers I went across the city to one stop service center just to see them spit me straight out.
My AV store just simply chicken out from the repair and said its not worth it,surely at this point there's nothing worse than having a non working player and these folks scared of breaking it?
Some hypocrites.
There's another one I tried to bid on it's the Pioneer CLD-110 looks great comes with remote and manual but the since I got outbid the current bid are now over 1000 yen so I just stop and hope for the best for my CLD-99S.
This past month I spent so much on Laserdisc players just to get almost working junks it's exhaustive and of course a lot of wasted money.
This CLD-99S will be my last effort on imported player if this fails then I'll wait for something domestic comes along.

PostPosted: 08 Apr 2018, 12:56 
True fan
True fan

It's pretty unlikely you will find a repair shop that will take an LD player, they don't want to take the time to deal with them and probably won't make any money off fixing it, the only option is to do it yourself, or send it off to the few who specialize in LD.

PostPosted: 26 Apr 2018, 10:40 
Honest fan
Honest fan

I finally ditched the CLD-99S since the shipping is too expensive and I have no guarantee for it to work by the time it arrived.
So I go for domestic players which I'm looking at Panasonic LX-H170 and Mitsubishi M-V7014K which is a karaoke model that I never heard of.
I'm leaning towards Mitsubishi since that thing is $50 cheaper than the basic Panasonic and also in better condition than Panasonic.
These are the only choice I have at the time sure I'd prefer the Pioneer but they're very hard to come by here.
I'll of course go and check the players myself,I had enough of damaged players done by some lazy careless staff,I'm not impressed by some folks at post office slamming packages onto the desk in front of the recipient.

PostPosted: 26 Apr 2018, 13:14 
True fan
True fan

Just go pick up one of those local machines, bring a disc with you and test what you can, you might want to bring a cd and try that too.

Doing a quick search on the Mitsubishi leads me to believe it is a Pioneer clone, a karaoke of course, but still a pioneer.

PostPosted: 26 Apr 2018, 13:35 
Honest fan
Honest fan

sjoerg wrote:
Just go pick up one of those local machines, bring a disc with you and test what you can, you might want to bring a cd and try that too.

Doing a quick search on the Mitsubishi leads me to believe it is a Pioneer clone, a karaoke of course, but still a pioneer.

I'll do just that...and then some since I'll be recording some of the Laserdisc as well so I'll bring the PSX (Japanese only DVR) with me just to test the line in signal,the PSX or at least my PSX are pretty picky about which device it gets line in signal from many wouldn't get a correctly lined up with the screen like the picture only cover up 30% of the screen and in black and white while other would have perfectly good signal like my Japanese N64 and True cable box.

PostPosted: 09 May 2018, 10:16 
Honest fan
Honest fan

I found Pioneer CLD-S370 for $20 but I can't really go there to test it the travel cost wouldn't be worth it. (The item is 2 hour drive west of my home) but it seemed to be in great shape.

PostPosted: 25 May 2018, 16:14 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Currently all the player on sale I mentioned above are all sold out and it will be a long while until another one pops up in my country,I guess I waited too long...
The local AV store are no use since they seemed to give zero effort on hunting down LD player for me.
Now I'm right back to ebay with two players I'm desired to have the Pioneer LD-1100 and LD-660 both from the same seller and if I bid and won I would get it for $100 with GSP (Pitney Bowes again...) shipping.
The question is which one I choose and is it worth the risk again?
At this point I'm really just want a working player spec be damned.

PostPosted: 25 May 2018, 23:35 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

discolaservision wrote:
Currently all the player on sale I mentioned above are all sold out and it will be a long while until another one pops up in my country,I guess I waited too long...
The local AV store are no use since they seemed to give zero effort on hunting down LD player for me.
Now I'm right back to ebay with two players I'm desired to have the Pioneer LD-1100 and LD-660 both from the same seller and if I bid and won I would get it for $100 with GSP (Pitney Bowes again...) shipping.

If you couldn't afford 20 bucks and 2 hrs to pick it up, shipping a player to you may be a bigger risk than its worth.

I want more people to collect LD but if this is your or other collectors situations then LD collecting may not be for you.

Rightly so for local AV stores. If your budget is in the 20-150 range why would they bother to track down an old used piece of equipment and then have to take it back when you watch it in the store and don't like it.

I say 20 since you didn't take the risk and meet the seller half way or full trip to buy it.

PostPosted: 26 May 2018, 04:21 
Honest fan
Honest fan

rein-o wrote:
discolaservision wrote:

If you couldn't afford 20 bucks and 2 hrs to pick it up, shipping a player to you may be a bigger risk than its worth.

I want more people to collect LD but if this is your or other collectors situations then LD collecting may not be for you.

Rightly so for local AV stores. If your budget is in the 20-150 range why would they bother to track down an old used piece of equipment and then have to take it back when you watch it in the store and don't like it.

I say 20 since you didn't take the risk and meet the seller half way or full trip to buy it.

Actually I found all the mentioned players in such a short time it made me nervous which one to buy and they're come out during when I'm low on money so I have to wait now I have the money but they're all gone.
Last night I just found another player pop up in my country it's the Pioneer CLD-2070 for $60 but this model used travel screw so if the seller don't have the equipment to tighten that screw then I'd say I'll risk myself another damaged player.
Seller is 2 hours west of my home so it's not worth to go pick it up.

PostPosted: 26 May 2018, 04:34 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

The transit screw is just to hold the turn mech in place and you won't need to worry about it for that model.
I would pickup that 2070 if still available, I have the 3070 which has the trick play and I'm getting a 2070 from a reliable tech here in the USA, I paid much more than that and it will have to be shipped to me.

So if you really want to get into LD and the 2070 is working when you test it, it should work fine when you get it home and you will have a nice player.

Good luck on your decision.

PostPosted: 26 May 2018, 07:53 
Honest fan
Honest fan

rein-o wrote:
The transit screw is just to hold the turn mech in place and you won't need to worry about it for that model.
I would pickup that 2070 if still available, I have the 3070 which has the trick play and I'm getting a 2070 from a reliable tech here in the USA, I paid much more than that and it will have to be shipped to me.

So if you really want to get into LD and the 2070 is working when you test it, it should work fine when you get it home and you will have a nice player.

Good luck on your decision.

It does working but that's seller' description,this model popped up on databits's youtube video and it does look very impressive.
The player are at Ratchaburi province and it's rain season here so definitely not worth going there.
I'll get this one I just hope it still available...by the way its $60 for this one.

PostPosted: 27 May 2018, 04:00 
Honest fan
Honest fan

I'm now talking to the seller and she said that the player need a helping hand to help it close the tray.

PostPosted: 27 May 2018, 12:55 
True fan
True fan

On those players I think its a common problem that the grease inside the player dries up over time and gets sticky causing the parts to not work right, I have a 3070 that opens and closes on it's own but the tray moves very slowly.

PostPosted: 27 May 2018, 15:38 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Only problem is that these are not easy players to strip down and put back together without messing up gears etc.

My player had the same issues, but when I sent it to grasshopper he said there was some other board broken? Can't remember what it was now.

PostPosted: 28 May 2018, 00:13 
True fan
True fan

Yes I heard they can be difficult once taken apart, my player has that Issue but main problem is no digital audio, due to an issue in one of the boards somewhere.

PostPosted: 28 May 2018, 03:24 
Honest fan
Honest fan

I'm waiting for additional photos before I decide.
If the seller can't provide me those before 9 pm here then I'll pass,there's a sign that she is reluctant and have something to hide,after 2 broken players I starts to doubt these sellers who can't give me more than just a vague description.
Being difficult to strip player is not a good sign either (not like I ever want to strip it down anyway)
There's AV store in Chinatown that sell Panasonic player but for $120 is a bit too much.
Spoiler:I turn it down.

Last edited by discolaservision on 28 May 2018, 14:58, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Choose my first working LD player
PostPosted: 28 May 2018, 14:52 
Honest fan
Honest fan

I just found another one player on sale it's Panasonic LX-V810 which I never heard you guys talk about it.
There's a video of the seller demoing it on youtube:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTAAXkMMDWo
He asked a bit over $100 for the player.
I just called him and he suggest I have to pick it up at his room 30 min from my home,he suggest a pick up and test the stuff in person that's a good sign right there but after careful consideration I have to turn down the deal yet again because after some discussion the seller are rude to me and inflexible to work the deal out.
Well the search continues I think...

Last edited by discolaservision on 01 Jun 2018, 14:04, edited 4 times in total.

Page 4 of 5 [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next