It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 16:33

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 
 Post subject: Denon AVD-2000 and other DAC Processors
PostPosted: 11 Jul 2012, 02:10 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

I'm currently using a Denon AVD-2000 which works fine for AC3 for LD's as an RF Demodulator. Anyone else using a full sound processor? I've seen a few similar models out there from Sony like the EP9ES. (There's a list of them in the top thread under processors.)

There are old school sound fields but I can't seem to get them to work. I'm thinking they don't work on DTS/AC3 period but I can't get them to work on the PCM output of my DVL-90 to coaxial on the processor for digital stereo or Pro Logic. Not that I'd use them anyway, my receiver has much nicer sound fields. It's a nice unit. Has 6ch inputs/outputs if you need them, two optical inputs, I've got DTS run here too and my PS2 is hooked up. It was cheaper than most dedicated RF demodulators I've seen and could be a good solution for anyone trying to save some money. Most dedicated RF demods I've seen are close to 200.00 right now.

Anyway the AVD-2000 performs very well, it also sports a system setup for speaker size/distance/LFE trim/. The EQ offers several modes like, Rock/Arena,Pro Logic/5Ch Stereo/Video Game/Mono Movie/Matrix, basically all the old school effects and all appear to be adjustable for best room effects. Again, I have no idea how to use them, they change when I select them, but it doesn't effect the sound.

Post subject: Re: Denon AVD-2000 and other DAC Processors
PostPosted: 11 Jul 2012, 02:25 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Yeah, RF demods are crazy expensive considering the rather simple task they perform. I bought a Harmon Kardon ADP 303 for $35 instead. It only outputs six channel analog (ie: no actual DD output on it) but that's fine since my receiver supports it.

Regarding your problem: are you saying that you are having trouble making the processor add the cheesy old effects to its own digital outs? If so, that probably isn't possible. The digital ins are probably just for pass-through with the Jazz/Hall/Game or whatever stuff only leaving via analog.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 11 Jul 2012, 05:26 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Exactly, which I figured it wouldn't do that for AC3 and DTS, but thought it might for Digital Stereo through the coaxial input. Which means it might only work through the 6 channel analog inputs. But yeah, they'd be cheesy as hell compared to what's on my receiver anyway. Anyone looking for an RF Demod should search for one of the signal processors first, it might give you extra inputs and cheaper than some of the RF Demods listed. Mine's saving me two optical inputs on my receiver which are used for other things.

PostPosted: 09 Mar 2013, 18:51 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Purchased the Denon AVD-2000 myself some time ago.
Got it in mint condition with remote and manual.

I've been testing the unit and it works great.
It sure is a nice unit to own and a :thumbup: input saver.
The EQ mode settings only work when used as a pre-amp! the EQ mode does not affect optical output!

Owned a few ep90es units in the past. Same performance but "huge" compared with the denon avd-2000.
Since I'm not a sony fan :shh: I sold the ep90es unit(s) some years ago. Sony and LD :think: not a good idea anyway :shh:

once I owned a Pioneer SPD-07 decoder. Did the job but no optical or coaxial digital out and 5.1 analoge out was a huge :thumbdown:
Lexicon LDD-1
SR-7015
RMB-1585
DP-UB820
TX-58DX780E

PostPosted: 09 Mar 2013, 19:39 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

I had one of these before, Technics SH-AC500D DSP

Worked really well with a receiver with 6 channel inputs. Also good as a DAC for CDs.

PostPosted: 09 Mar 2013, 20:20 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

elahrairrah wrote:
I had one of these before, Technics SH-AC500D DSP

Worked really well with a receiver with 6 channel inputs. Also good as a DAC for CDs.

Nice unit,

Where did that look go I :think:
These days it all looks the same cheap and plastic.
Lexicon LDD-1
SR-7015
RMB-1585
DP-UB820
TX-58DX780E

PostPosted: 11 May 2013, 02:53 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Forgot about this post, I ended up getting a second Denon unit with remote about 6 months ago. It's sitting on the shelf for now. It had a low opening bid and no one else bid on it so I got it for about 70.00 plus shipping. I just couldn't pass it up if no one else was interested.

kris wrote:
The EQ mode settings only work when used as a pre-amp! the EQ mode does not affect optical output!

That's what I thought. So I guess this means you have to run all your audio channels to the unit? I don't get any EQ just passing thru the inputs/outputs for PCM either. For that, I guess I don't need those EQ settings anyway since my receiver has newer/better settings anyway. But for what it does (RF Demod and extra optical port and switching) it's a great option to spending 200.00 on a Yamaha or Pioneer dedicated RF Dmod.

PostPosted: 28 Mar 2014, 07:55 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

There is a avd-2000 on ebay for $30 ending soon.

Works great as a rf demodulator and spdif switch for coax or optical.

DC :crazy:

PostPosted: 12 Jun 2014, 14:43 
The Denon AVD-2000 has got 2 digital optical inputs, 2 digital coaxial inputs, and 1 AC3-RF input, and it can select any one of these 5 different input channels - manually by either pressing a button on the front or on the remote control. The digital content of the selected channel is directly sent to the one optical spdif (Toslink) output and in parallel is also processed by the built-in Dolby Digital 5.1 decoder. The resulting analog 5.1 channel signal from the decoder (or from the analog 5.1 channel input connectors) is then processed by the equalizer and timeshifter and output only on the analog 5.1 channel preamp output connectors (which may get connected to power amps to drive the speakers). So the digital output does simple thru-streaming of the digital input, not modifying any of its content.

So one may use the Denon AVD-2000 as Dolby Digital 5.1 Decoder with analog 5.1 channel preamp output - or simply as an AV-Switch for up to 5 different digital incoming signals, or you may use it simply as "AC3-RF Demodulator", or as a combination of that all. I have connected the digital optical output and also the AC3 RF output of my laserdisc player to the AVD-2000, and the digital optical output of the AVD-2000 to my modern AV-Switch (which is able to decode Dolby Digital as well as DTS etc.). The analog output of my laserdisc Player however is separately connected to analog input connectors of my modern AV-Switch. Like this I am able to listen to all Laserdisc soundtracks in any possible configuration: analog mono/stereo/bilingual/Dolby Surround, digital mono/stereo/bilingual/Dolby Surround, Dolby Digital, DDEX or DTS ... :)

PostPosted: 24 Jun 2014, 17:44 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

I use an Pioneer SP-D07 & a Yamaha DDP-1, both of which do AC-3 to analog out. The SP-D07 does other nice things, too — it's hooked up to my MUSE decoder for things like bass management.

PostPosted: 17 Jun 2016, 00:27 
True fan
True fan

Quick question: does any of these decode ProLogic digitally and output the decoded signal over optical? Looking at a ep9es if it can do that so I can get DPL into my digital only Onkyo receiver.

PostPosted: 02 Sep 2016, 15:26 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

sdraper wrote:
Quick question: does any of these decode ProLogic digitally and output the decoded signal over optical? Looking at a ep9es if it can do that so I can get DPL into my digital only Onkyo receiver.

No such thing exist. I don't see the point either. If you want dpl, not dpl2 then look for avrs with retro mode. I know most yamah avrs have that. Retro mode: ability to select plain dpl in a modern avr where the norm is dpl2z

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ]