It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 20:10

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Kenwood kr-v990d Think I've been had...
PostPosted: 26 Jul 2014, 12:17 
Serious fan
Serious fan

I recently purchased this av amp from eBay and can't for the life of me get it to output 5.1. It will only output sound when set to stereo. It's obvious the case has been opened before and I went for a look myself. On the card that handles the digital signals there is a processor that looks as if it's covered in wax? Almost looks as if the board has melted so can't but think it's a dud. The seller is adamant it works. Does anyone have any experience of this av amp? Any advice?

Admin: sorry but I've posted this in the wrong section. Can you move it to the amps section of the forum please?

Post subject: Re: Kenwood kr-v990d Think I've been had...
PostPosted: 27 Jul 2014, 02:22 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Posting a picture would be helpful. Also have you tried turning on prologic or some other type of 5.1 processing?

Every time I've seen burnt circuits its the smell that gives it away, plus everything around it will be charred.

PostPosted: 27 Jul 2014, 03:30 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

do you have an AC-3 disc and is your LD player compatible, does it have the AC-3 out on the back???

PostPosted: 27 Jul 2014, 18:22 
Hello glen_m,

Had one of these for years. If you connect the RF out on your laserdisc player to the RF in on the back of the 990d (via coax) you should have no trouble getting 5.1 sound. If you want to use the digital in input for dvd players, set top boxes, etc., here's where your trouble begins. These receivers were initially produced with a well known bug. Dolby Digital (AC3) was hit and miss through the digital input. Most times they would have to be powered down then turned on again or you would have to cycle through the inputs. Eventually you would get a great 5.1 signal. Kenwood replaced a part in a lot of these free of charge but not everyone returned them for service. If you google Kenwood KR-V990D problems you should get some info on the subject. Hope this helps.

PostPosted: 12 Aug 2014, 14:35 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Sorry for not replying been on holiday for the past while. I've read about the AC3 problems from DVD and I have tried to cycle the power and inputs with a bluray player connected to the digital input but no luck. If the volume is turned to max you can hear the sound faintly from the speakers and it is coming through in 5.1 all be it heavily distorted so not sure whats going. With the RF theres nothing at any volume level. I took the chance and contacted Kenwood UK who directed me to a local repair shop so its with them under the strict instruction that unless its a simple fix just leave it as I don't want to spend mega bucks on a repair. Hope to hear back this week if it can be fixed or not.

PostPosted: 19 Aug 2014, 17:29 
Keep us updated on your progress. Never ever had any trouble with the RF in from laserdisc. When the 5.1 worked from the digital input, it was the best sound I have ever heard from any receiver in my life. My two Yamahas sound good for 5.1 but not as good as the Kenwood sounded. :thumbup:

PostPosted: 20 Aug 2014, 14:26 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Well, spoke to the repair centre today. They say the amp has had extensive work carried out to it before a part of which the believe involved the replacement of the main control processor and the feel the fault lies with this. In their opinion the amp is not worth the repair so I'm calling tomorrow to collect it.

I'll strip it down myself and try to reseat the control chip to see it is helps. If that fails look like I have one fancy paper weight.

PostPosted: 23 Aug 2014, 18:53 
One on e bay now for 176.00 or best offer (KR-V990D). :thumbup:

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ]