It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 04:20

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 
 Post subject: Pioneer VSX D3S paper weight
PostPosted: 27 Jul 2014, 02:18 
Honest fan
Honest fan

I need a little help with a Pioneer VSX D3S I picked up today. I wasn't able to test it out upon purchasing it and when I got home to test it out, both A and B front speaker outputs only output static on the left channel. Right side does not work, I tried doing direct sound, every input, even hooked it up to a tv and played in the GUI interface. Only way to get sound out was to put a speaker on the center channel and turn on prologic 2.

I did open the it up and inspect the inside, no blown capacitors, nothing looked unhooked. It also sounded like all solid state switches where working.

If some one has the original service manual or any ideas on what to test I would be very grateful. Also not sure at this point if it would be worth taking to a service center.

(I bolded the original part because the only service manuals I could find online were not complete but missing several pages.)

Post subject: Re: Pioneer VSX D3S paper weight
PostPosted: 27 Jul 2014, 04:35 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

sounds like the speakers are in test mode, or something is stuck with the test mode.
from what I remember mine I think had test buttons on the front along with the gui on screen menu.
that static noise is what happens when you hook up all speakers and run through the modes.
other than that I can't help you, haven't had a VSX in over 8 years.

PostPosted: 28 Jul 2014, 00:32 
Honest fan
Honest fan

OK, so I played around with it some more today. I put the receiver in test tone mode and got the rear speakers to work and the center channel. So it appears the 2 front channels on both a and b speaker sets is messed up. I may have to call a service center and see what they suggest.

Thank you for the suggestions rein-o, if any one else has an idea or has the service manual. I have a feeling one of the solid state switches is bad but I'm not sure.

PostPosted: 28 Jul 2014, 21:37 
Honest fan
Honest fan

I talked to a pioneer tech today and he felt one of the boards inside is bad. It comes down to it costing far more to repair than it is worth keeping. Thank you to rein-o for the suggestion but I will be returning it and getting my money back on it.

So the search continues for a ac-3 demodulater.

PostPosted: 28 Jul 2014, 22:21 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

no problem, sorry to hear its bad, I had a rotel amp that I sold once, and it too was bad and had to refund the buyer :(
if I were you I would look into just the AC-3 demodulator / decoder
one really never has that many AC-3 movies and this way if your amp goes bad in the future you can just keep the AC-3 unit and plug it
into the next amp/receiver.

good luck.

PostPosted: 07 Jan 2015, 20:45 
Second post
Second post

This seems like a good subject to wet my feet on--

What is the quality of a Pioneer VSX-9900S player? Is it worth picking one up? I have this friend . . .

PostPosted: 07 Jan 2015, 21:05 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

VSX-9900S is NOT a "Player" of any sort, it is an A/V Stereo Receiver.

VSX-9900S was the second model down from the top model VSX-D1S of 1990/1993.

the 9900S seems technically and functionally equal in most every meaningful way to the D1S, as if it was meant to have been the 1991 replacement for the VSX-D1S as TOTL model
in PIONEER's 1991/1992 AVR lineup. all the same, it was always shown in PIONEER's brochures of the time as one step down from the top model VSX-D1S,
even though the 9900S' virtually identical VSX-95 ELITE twin was touted as superior to either one,
mostly because the 95 sported some higher spec internal componentry such as rubber-jacketed main filter caps and such,
and an ON SCREEN system status display generator output through it's composite VIDEO to TV, IIRC.

the 9900S in fact has an ELITE series clone, the VSX-95, PIONEER's very first ever ELITE-series receiver.

both the 9900S and 95 are superb two-channel stereo powerhouses, very much like the D1S,
that just so happen to have DPL-based SURROUND functions tacked on.

in my humble opinion, those three models were the very best receivers PIONEER ever offered since the 70's,
and the best PIONEER receivers to get, if you can live without digital surround functions,
and desire a powerful and well-made two-channel stereo amp with remote control.

a well cared for example of either of theses beasts is hard... VERY HARD to beat for the money, IMHO. strongly recommended.

- VSX-95/-9900S -

- VSX-D1S -

PostPosted: 07 Jan 2015, 22:00 
Second post
Second post

Sounds and looks great, even if it isn't what I initially thought it was. I didn't really see it--I should hope I could spot a LD player on sight ever since my dad brought home a Pioneer 1100 front-loader in 1983--I was just going by the inquiry: "Hey, I've got this LaserDisc player, model VSX-D9000S lying around, you want it?"

Sounds like I do.

PostPosted: 07 Jan 2015, 22:14 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

playerpage wrote:
This seems like a good subject to wet my feet on--

What is the quality of a Pioneer VSX-9900S player? Is it worth picking one up? I have this friend . . .

I saw that listing on Ebay. The guy has a picture of said reciever along with a DVL-909 remote/manual & a CLD-900 manual. He's calling it a laserdisc/DVD player. I sent him a message asking what model "laserdisc" player he was trying to sell. No response (surprise, surprise). Sorry to continue this off topic stray, but people like that get under my skin... Even if you have absolutely no idea what a laserdisc player is, this thing obviousy doesn't play DVD's!

Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 136.56 KiB | Viewed 6779 times ]

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2015, 22:30 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

So I finally got a response from the seller and he added pics of a DVL-909 to the listing. Oddly, the receiver is still the first one in the string. Wonder if it's for sale? Anyway, I feel better now. Guess I shouldn't have been so quick to pass judgement. Every once in a while, I get the urge to call BS when I see it.

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2015, 15:01 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Its ok to stray from original topic. That old VSX D3S went back to the pawn shop I picked it up from, back on the shelf for some other poor sap to get taken on. I told them it didnt work but o well.

Thats not a bad deal, shipping on that combo would be killer. Unless your local or really want the player and receiver, I dont see how it would be worth it.

Tasuke I have to say, every single photo you post is of superb quailty. I really like the photos you take of old audio equipment.

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ]