It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 11:52

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Which is better: Sony E800 or Yamaha DDP-1?
PostPosted: 29 Oct 2014, 00:50 
True fan
True fan

Just picked up a working nice DDP-1 in a dumping ground for a few bucks. It works perfectly when fired up and plugged in, just need to iron out all the settings. (Can they be done without the remote?) What I didn't realize is that it was analog out only and had no optical out like my E800. Is one really better than the other? I would think the digital out would not color the sound in any way, yet the Yamaha sounds very good and makes me wonder if it has a DAC inside or something.

Post subject: Re: Which is better: Sony E800 or Yamaha DDP-1?
PostPosted: 29 Oct 2014, 02:08 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

Most AVRs don't allow bass management or sound processing over their 6ch analog input. Its much a pass through. In this case you rely on the bass management (speaker size) sound processing (speaker delay etc..) on yamaha ddp-1.

Yamaha ddp-1 or in this case any ac-3 decoder of the era has very primitive digital audio processing comparing to even the cheapest AVR of the last 5 years.

For example most AVR today you can set distance in 0.1ft (speaker delay)increments where on an old decoder it was more like 0.5ft increments. You could only set large or small for speakers with one fixed crossover at 80hz. Now you can set xover between 40 and 200 each speaker individually. Moreover you can upconvert to dolby digital+pl2z 9.1.

Also dacs have improved a lot since then. Yamaha most likely has mediocre d/a converters(16bit/44khz?) comparing to whats out there today(24bit/192khz or better).

But if your setup is around a htib (home theater in a box) or mostly components around from 90s then it may not matter that much.

PostPosted: 29 Oct 2014, 02:27 
True fan
True fan

Well, I played around and the DDP-1 actually sounds quite the same as the Sony's optical out. I used GOLDENEYE and compared the LD ac3 on the Sony, the DDP-1 and then the SE DVD with the same ac3 5.1 track as straight optical into the reciever. It all comes out pretty similar. There may be a touch of very light background noise with the Yamaha going over analog.
But what it does have is actually three DACs and a service mode that will allow PCM stereo playback, including 96khz. I tried what this thread suggested, and a CD over optical from my PS3 and back out analog from the ddp-1 sounds quite stunning. http://mail.audiokarma.net/forums/showt ... p?t=201237

PostPosted: 29 Oct 2014, 03:44 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

As I mentioned above the sound quality difference is subtle and depends on how revealing your setup and speakers are. Also keep in mind ac-3 in ld is NOT very high resolution to begin with

my emphasis was more on how better integrated the raw digital signal is comparing to analog outs with limited management.

For example if you dont have a very good sub(I mean very good!!!), you dont wanna run your bass above 60hz. Yamaha dd1 wont allow you to select any xover point. If you have small surround speakers with smaller than 5-3/4" drivers you dont wanna run them below 120hz etc..

A typical $500 avr today will allow you to choose 60hz for your fronts, 80hz for center and 120hz for rears. Runs lfe at 120hz. Very precise delays and audio levels adjusted through on board calibration mic. Most even apply room correction.

A ac-3 avr ir decoder 20 years ago, even a $3000 one had very basic. 80hz xover setting for all speakers or full band. Less complicated delay and audio level setting which you should calibrate with a dbl meter. No room correction whatsoever if yoy cared.

I was only telling whats optimum but second best is not far behind as you couldn't suspect any difference probably due very lossy nature of ac3 on ld.

PostPosted: 29 Oct 2014, 15:01 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Sony TA-E9000 ESN preamp.

Can do pretty much anything described by substance. I would have to check but I think I can do .1 ft increments, along with adjusting the cross over for each speaker at 10Khz increments.

I've read it has a 24 bit 192Khz DAC but I've only seen it say 16Bit when playing AC-3 LD.

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]