It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 15:09

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Converting ALL LD sound and picture to HDMI?
PostPosted: 14 Dec 2015, 05:06 
Honest fan
Honest fan

I have an AV receiver that can upscale all my analog video to 1080p and has worked great so far, but I'm concerned with how long manufacturers will keep including that feature in the future as more people stop using analog sources. It seems there's already some small devices that will take an analog signal and output it as HDMI, but with laserdisc's three separate audio outputs that presents a bit of a challenge. What I'd like to see someone come up with is a box that has an analog video input, plus analog audio and TWO digital audio inputs (I guess just one would be adequate, as I already have another box I use to combine the AC3 and regular Digital outputs to a single input on the receiver) which are then output through HDMI, with analog sound in 2-channel PCM with AC3 and DTS as a decodable signal for the receiver. Does anything like this exist, or would it be something likely to come along in the future at least in limited supply?

Post subject: Re: Converting ALL LD sound and picture to HDMI?
PostPosted: 22 Jan 2016, 18:25 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

There are many standalone video processors/scalers that do what you describe. I have a DVDO VP50 that does all of that (except output analog audio over HDMI, but it will do it over coax or optical, so it's a bug they never fixed.)

PostPosted: 31 Jan 2016, 03:51 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

How does the DVDO VP50 stand up to an XRGB unit? The Framemeister can handle composite and it does it well.

PostPosted: 31 Jan 2016, 12:10 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

The XRGB, at least now, is intended to be used for old video game consoles and computers. You get more features towards movies with a scaler like the DVDO VP50. Quick switching between aspect ratios, selecting different audio inputs and such. I think the XRGB might be better suited for anime laserdiscs. Some of those discs have some strange interlacing that video processors can struggle with. If I remember correctly, the XRGB have a seperate option for anime video.

The XRGB also have a horrible comb filter. The one built in your player might actually be a lot better. Not sure what the DVDO VP50 uses, but the DVDO Edge Green scaler I have also have a really bad comb filter. The best I've used so far is the one in the PMS Crystalio II unit. Second best is the one built into my TV (last Panasonic plasma).

Those cheap composite to HDMI converters does not have any (or good) comb filter built in. You end up with very crappy picture quality since the TV does not apply analog filtering to a digital signal.

PostPosted: 31 Jan 2016, 14:14 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I wouldn't use the XRGB-Mini for NTSC films at all. It cannot handle 3:2 cadence making it useless in that matter. For PAL sources it may be more suitable but since scaling is optimized for graphics rather than film it's still far from a good choice. It doesn't handle composite very well either. And the VP50 has already excellent deinterlacing med spot-on 3:2 pull down so there's no contest. If you're a retro gamer however the XRGB-Mini is an solid choice, I'm using mine often.

PostPosted: 31 Jan 2016, 17:16 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

3:2 pull down is a rather simple process for most deinterlacing chip made after 2002. Unfortunately not all of them include a forced film mode, they often switch back to video deinterlacing with cadence breaks. Faroudja (Fli2310) does it right, Anchor bay technologies (ABT2015) does it right, HQV reon/realta/vida does it right, Marvel QDEO does it right. Gennum VXP doesn't get it right, it switches to video mode. Crystalio II for that reason includes Faroudja Fli2310 for forced film mode, and Gennum VXP for mixed and video mode. Gennum VXP offers the best video deinterlacing.

Anime is a different beast, often they don't use 24 individual frames but repeat the same frames. This turns up into weird cadences like 5:5, 8:8, 5:4, 8:7. Most deinterlacers only look for 3:2 cadence for film. ABT2015 is the only chip that can recognize any to any cadence therefore only one really suitable for anime.

QDEO on the framemeister ignores cadence but applies really good video deinterlacing. It has a known bug for none defeatable noise reduction, it applies dnr even if it is off.

For anime DVDs, the best setup would be Oppo 983 as a player and set to 480p output. Lumagen or Crystalio II to scale up to 1080p. An Algolith Mosquito between the two for noise reduction.

PostPosted: 31 Jan 2016, 17:39 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

The XRGB-Mini doesn't apply any noise reduction if set to picture (for progressive sources) and natural (for interlacing). Movie and anime mode has both low-pass filtering but uses the same deinterlacing process. The detail loss is very easy to see in games like Chrono Trigger but as long as you only use picture or natural you're good to go.

PostPosted: 31 Jan 2016, 17:53 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

Marvel admitted themself that if the signal is run through the chip there is a slight noise reduction applied no matter what setting.it is a hardware design flaw with the chip, they couldn't fix it with software later. Xrbb would have to pass through this chip in order to defeat it. I honestly don't see it that pronounced on my oppo, usually people with 150" screens complain. It is very subtle.

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ]