It is currently 19 Nov 2018, 06:44




 Page 1 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Sony SDP-EP9ES Used as a ac3rf demodulator
PostPosted: 07 Jan 2017, 19:35 
Third post and above
Third post and above
User avatar

Joined: 15 Dec 2016, 13:45
Posts: 3
Location: United States
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time
Anyone have experience using a surround processor like the Sony SDP-EP9ES as a demodulator? It has a ac3 input and a digital output. I plan to use this between a cld 79 and a pioneer SC-71.
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sony SDP-EP9ES Used as a ac3rf demodulator
PostPosted: 07 Jan 2017, 23:22 
Serious fan
Serious fan
User avatar

Joined: 28 Jun 2014, 05:59
Posts: 195
Location: San Francisco, CA USA
Has thanked: 8 times
Been thanked: 21 times
Yes. It will work properly to pass the AC3-RF signal unprocessed in DD 5.1 bitstream to your Pioneer Receiver (using the optical output of the EP9). I currently use mine for the same purpose and basically turned my EP9 into an expensive digital switch box. In addition, it will pass DTS encoding unprocessed as well.

Dave
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sony SDP-EP9ES Used as a ac3rf demodulator
PostPosted: 08 Jan 2017, 10:58 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan
User avatar

Joined: 22 Nov 2011, 18:54
Posts: 705
Location: United States
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 4 times
I use the EP9ES's cousin: the EPS-E800 as an rf-demodulator and an A/V switcher. It works very well and does pass the DTS signal to my A/V for decoding.
_________________
LD
Pioneer CLD-D406
Sony MDP-600
CED
934-54780150, 934.54810350, SJT-200, CED-1, 3-VIP1000, VIP201P
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sony SDP-EP9ES Used as a ac3rf demodulator
PostPosted: 09 Jan 2017, 17:00 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested
User avatar

Joined: 21 Oct 2012, 00:02
Posts: 58
Location: United States
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time
I use both (EP9 and E800). Unlike some other dedicated demodulators, you can plug in all the audio connectors, and then just one digital cable to your receiver.
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sony SDP-EP9ES Used as a ac3rf demodulator
PostPosted: 17 Jan 2017, 10:46 
Honest fan
Honest fan
User avatar

Joined: 13 Dec 2016, 21:21
Posts: 74
Location: Gibraltar
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 1 time
rchiffelle wrote:
I use both (EP9 and E800). Unlike some other dedicated demodulators, you can plug in all the audio connectors, and then just one digital cable to your receiver.


Same here, works great with the EP9
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sony SDP-EP9ES Used as a ac3rf demodulator
PostPosted: 17 Jan 2017, 17:34 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan
User avatar

Joined: 22 Nov 2011, 18:54
Posts: 705
Location: United States
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 4 times
If I remember correctly, the SDP-EP9ES switches only the optical audio whereas the SDP-E800 switches the video and the optical audio. This is something to consider when you are deciding on which processor to buy.
_________________
LD
Pioneer CLD-D406
Sony MDP-600
CED
934-54780150, 934.54810350, SJT-200, CED-1, 3-VIP1000, VIP201P
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sony SDP-EP9ES Used as a ac3rf demodulator
PostPosted: 18 Jan 2017, 17:18 
Serious fan
Serious fan
User avatar

Joined: 28 Jun 2014, 05:59
Posts: 195
Location: San Francisco, CA USA
Has thanked: 8 times
Been thanked: 21 times
That is correct that the EP9 does not have any video switching built in as it is just a digital switcher w/ surround processing. If this is a feature people want (I can see it being useful if one wants to simplify switching both the audio and video inputs especially if running two LD players into the E800), I would recommend the E800.

However, since I own the EP9, I've had to make due w/ just digital switching and it has been fine. I mainly use my Denon, AVR-2808CI for all the main video and audio input switching and then throw the EP9 into the mix when the LD input is chosen. Works great in my set-up since most receivers can only accommodate one analog and one digital input at a time. Since LD can require up to three audio connections being used based on the disc being played (analog audio, S/PDIF, and AC3-RF), my EP9 has become indispensable in simplifying my set-up.

Dave
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sony SDP-EP9ES Used as a ac3rf demodulator
PostPosted: 18 Jan 2017, 21:57 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan
User avatar

Joined: 05 Dec 2006, 19:08
Posts: 1059
Location: Belgium
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 0 time
I used to own a few ep90 units. They are great for switching :thumbup:
Sold them since they took a lot of shelf space. I would buy one again if it comes around cheap in mint condition.
I may be wrong but I think there is a slight difference between the EP9 and the EP90 MPEG wise....
First unit I owned was an EP9 model and I had troubles with bass management when using it trough the analog output... I didn't spend much time investigating it since I sold it a few days later.
The EP90 models never gave me any trouble. Use an LDD-1 these days. Hidden away behind the equipment. Clean setup but you can't beat the look of the ES line in any way IMHO
_________________
CLD-D925,CLD-59elite,LDD-1,Iscan HD+,SR-7007,RMB-1585,DMP-UB900
HM-DH5U,TX-58DX780E
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sony SDP-EP9ES Used as a ac3rf demodulator
PostPosted: 18 Jan 2017, 23:03 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan
User avatar

Joined: 22 Nov 2011, 18:54
Posts: 705
Location: United States
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 4 times
ldfan wrote:
That is correct that the EP9 does not have any video switching built in as it is just a digital switcher w/ surround processing. If this is a feature people want (I can see it being useful if one wants to simplify switching both the audio and video inputs especially if running two LD players into the E800), I would recommend the E800.

However, since I own the EP9, I've had to make due w/ just digital switching and it has been fine. I mainly use my Denon, AVR-2808CI for all the main video and audio input switching and then throw the EP9 into the mix when the LD input is chosen. Works great in my set-up since most receivers can only accommodate one analog and one digital input at a time. Since LD can require up to three audio connections being used based on the disc being played (analog audio, S/PDIF, and AC3-RF), my EP9 has become indispensable in simplifying my set-up.

Dave


There is nothing wrong with the EP9. If it does what you want it to do, so much the better.

When I was searching for an A/V switcher, I found the E800 on E-bay and bought it. I considered the EP9; but, wanted the video to be switched with the audio.

I have a CLD-D406 and a MDP-600 attached to my E800. When I press the digital2 button on the E800, both the audio and the video are switched from my MDP-600 without any complication which is what I want.

The only minor problem with the E800 is that there is no way to turn its power on with the remote control. You have to press the power button on the E800 manually (horrors).


Last edited by dumbchemist on 20 Jul 2017, 12:23, edited 2 times in total. _________________
LD
Pioneer CLD-D406
Sony MDP-600
CED
934-54780150, 934.54810350, SJT-200, CED-1, 3-VIP1000, VIP201P
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sony SDP-EP9ES Used as a ac3rf demodulator
PostPosted: 18 Jan 2017, 23:37 
Serious fan
Serious fan
User avatar

Joined: 28 Jun 2014, 05:59
Posts: 195
Location: San Francisco, CA USA
Has thanked: 8 times
Been thanked: 21 times
kris wrote:
I may be wrong but I think there is a slight difference between the EP9 and the EP90 MPEG wise....


The difference was that the EP9 was unable to decode MPEG audio and the EP90 could. And since MPEG audio was and may still be popular in Europe, I believe the EP90 was only sold for that market.

Quote:
First unit I owned was an EP9 model and I had troubles with bass management when using it trough the analog output


I think I struggled w/ getting the bass management set right as well because it was in the days before multi-eq and set-up mics. One movie that frustrated me about the bass being way too strong was "Heat" on LD. I eventually found that it really wasn't my system (for the most part) but the mix was just too much. I haven't watched it since then but I may just pull it out again to see if my Denon w/ Audyssey can tame it.

Dave
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sony SDP-EP9ES Used as a ac3rf demodulator
PostPosted: 02 May 2017, 01:32 
Honest fan
Honest fan
User avatar

Joined: 04 Jul 2005, 19:57
Posts: 85
Location: Japan
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 3 times
rchiffelle wrote:
I use both (EP9 and E800). Unlike some other dedicated demodulators, you can plug in all the audio connectors, and then just one digital cable to your receiver.

Did you really plug in ALL audio connectors? I mean, AC-3 RF and Optical and also the analog stereo (red/white) ? :?:
This would mean that your EP9 is digitizing an analog input into the optical Toslink ... if your EP9 can do so it is great.

I use a Denon AVD-2000 for the same purpose, but it cannot digitize an analog input into a digital output. :(
I can plug in only AC-3 RF and Optical (or Coaxial) - for the analog connection I have to bypass the Denon and connect it directly to my final AV Switch (Yamaha DSP-AX1300).
_________________
My LD players: Pioneer LD-S1, CLD-D925, DVL-919
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sony SDP-EP9ES Used as a ac3rf demodulator
PostPosted: 02 May 2017, 03:52 
True fan
True fan
User avatar

Joined: 24 May 2016, 01:40
Posts: 319
Location: NY USA
Has thanked: 18 times
Been thanked: 25 times
I'm interested in getting an EP9 or maybe E800, but I'm wondering, on the E800 can you can switch between digital audio sources to output through the optical out? or can you only do that with the pre-outs? It looks to me like the optical out only covers "Digital 3" but I'm not sure.
_________________
-LD Collection
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sony SDP-EP9ES Used as a ac3rf demodulator
PostPosted: 02 May 2017, 09:58 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan
User avatar

Joined: 22 Nov 2011, 18:54
Posts: 705
Location: United States
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 4 times
sjoerg wrote:
I'm interested in getting an EP9 or maybe E800, but I'm wondering, on the E800 can you can switch between digital audio sources to output through the optical out? or can you only do that with the pre-outs? It looks to me like the optical out only covers "Digital 3" but I'm not sure.


There are 3 digital (toslink) inputs on the E800. Digital 1 and 2 have separate video inputs to the E800 also. Thus, when you press the digital 1 button, the optical 1 input is switched to the E800 optical output as well as the digital 1 video being switched to the E800 video output. Pressing the digital 2 button does the same for the digital 2 audio and video. Digital 3 input is meant for a CD player (per the manual) and has no video associated with it.

There is a trick that I found that you may be able to use. When you press the Analog front button on the E800, the video for the Analog source is switched to the E800 video output. If you press the Digital 3 button then, the digital sound will then be switched except that the analog video will stay as the video source. (Would someone else verify what I found?) This would give you an extra A/V input on the E800. I have not tired this yet.

Go here http://manuals.lddb.com/AC3RF_Demodulators/ for the operating manual for the EP9 or the E800.


Last edited by dumbchemist on 02 May 2017, 12:04, edited 3 times in total. _________________
LD
Pioneer CLD-D406
Sony MDP-600
CED
934-54780150, 934.54810350, SJT-200, CED-1, 3-VIP1000, VIP201P
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sony SDP-EP9ES Used as a ac3rf demodulator
PostPosted: 02 May 2017, 10:08 
Honest fan
Honest fan
User avatar

Joined: 04 Jul 2005, 19:57
Posts: 85
Location: Japan
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 3 times
I can only answer for the Dolby Digital Decoder Denon AVD-2000: there you can select manually or by the IR remote controller between 5 digital inputs: 1x AC-3 RF, 2x Optical, 2x Coaxial, and in each case you get digital output on digital Optical Out. There is no Coaxial Out. However if you choose the 6th input option - analog 6CH EXT IN - then there will be no digital output, just only the analog preamp 6CH output.
_________________
My LD players: Pioneer LD-S1, CLD-D925, DVL-919
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sony SDP-EP9ES Used as a ac3rf demodulator
PostPosted: 02 May 2017, 19:54 
True fan
True fan
User avatar

Joined: 24 May 2016, 01:40
Posts: 319
Location: NY USA
Has thanked: 18 times
Been thanked: 25 times
Thanks for the info everybody, I decided to go for the E800, I think it should be capable of what I need it for.
_________________
-LD Collection
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sony SDP-EP9ES Used as a ac3rf demodulator
PostPosted: 02 May 2017, 21:30 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan
User avatar

Joined: 22 Nov 2011, 18:54
Posts: 705
Location: United States
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 4 times
sjoerg wrote:
Thanks for the info everybody, I decided to go for the E800, I think it should be capable of what I need it for.


I think that you will be pleased with your choice.

Actually, I have a second E800 that I am keeping as a spare. I bought it off E-bay some time ago and have plans on using it in my HT when the time comes.

Also, I gave the URL for the E800's manual above. It can come in handy.
_________________
LD
Pioneer CLD-D406
Sony MDP-600
CED
934-54780150, 934.54810350, SJT-200, CED-1, 3-VIP1000, VIP201P
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sony SDP-EP9ES Used as a ac3rf demodulator
PostPosted: 03 May 2017, 02:47 
True fan
True fan
User avatar

Joined: 24 May 2016, 01:40
Posts: 319
Location: NY USA
Has thanked: 18 times
Been thanked: 25 times
dumbchemist wrote:

I think that you will be pleased with your choice.

Actually, I have a second E800 that I am keeping as a spare. I bought it off E-bay some time ago and have plans on using it in my HT when the time comes.

Also, I gave the URL for the E800's manual above. It can come in handy.


I've just been thinking how it would be nice to be able to have both my LD players with Digital be hooked up simultaneously without
having to uplug/plug everything again, my amp is a pioneer with the built in demod, but only has 3 digital inputs total (including the ac3-rf)

All the surround processors I've seen only had the 6 channel output that I could tell (the pioneer one comes to mind)
So when I saw this one on ebay I decided to jump on it!

And thank you for the manual link, I will definitely utilize that!
_________________
-LD Collection
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sony SDP-EP9ES Used as a ac3rf demodulator
PostPosted: 03 May 2017, 17:33 
Honest fan
Honest fan
User avatar

Joined: 04 Jul 2005, 19:57
Posts: 85
Location: Japan
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 3 times
It is nice if everybody finds what he needs for his configuration.

However I want to remind you that for a well-connected laserdisc player you need always FOUR connections:
1. the analog video connection (composite resp. yellow RCA, or S-video)
2. the analog stereo connection (red and white RCA)
3. the digital connection (optical, or coaxial)
4. AC-3 RF (usually a black RCA)
Some people tend to think that the digital connections can replace the analog one, but this is not true.

If you connect only digital and omit the analog stereo connection,
A. you will not get any sound from an analog-only disc (old PAL or NTSC),
B. you will not get the second language from a bilingual disc,
C. you will never hear the assistant vocal singer on a Karaoke disc (singing in analog/R only)
D. you will never hear the commentary of the director on some DD5.1 discs (speaking in analog/L only)

Keep this in mind, especially when you consider to hook up two Laserdisc players at the same time ... ;)
_________________
My LD players: Pioneer LD-S1, CLD-D925, DVL-919
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sony SDP-EP9ES Used as a ac3rf demodulator
PostPosted: 03 May 2017, 18:43 
True fan
True fan
User avatar

Joined: 24 May 2016, 01:40
Posts: 319
Location: NY USA
Has thanked: 18 times
Been thanked: 25 times
allgaeuer wrote:
It is nice if everybody finds what he needs for his configuration.

However I want to remind you that for a well-connected laserdisc player you need always FOUR connections:
1. the analog video connection (composite resp. yellow RCA, or S-video)
2. the analog stereo connection (red and white RCA)
3. the digital connection (optical, or coaxial)
4. AC-3 RF (usually a black RCA)
Some people tend to think that the digital connections can replace the analog one, but this is not true.

If you connect only digital and omit the analog stereo connection,
A. you will not get any sound from an analog-only disc (old PAL or NTSC),
B. you will not get the second language from a bilingual disc,
C. you will never hear the assistant vocal singer on a Karaoke disc (singing in analog/R only)
D. you will never hear the commentary of the director on some DD5.1 discs (speaking in analog/L only)

Keep this in mind, especially when you consider to hook up two Laserdisc players at the same time ... ;)


That is a very good point, I do plan to hook up ALL the inputs (analog included) apparently one drawback to the unit I got is that it will not output the analog input through the optical( I believe), I can solve this (I think) by hooking my DVL-90s analog directly to the DVD in on my Pioneer, and leave the D704 hooked to the LD in.
All digital signals from DVL-90 will go to the e800 and then into the DVD IN on the amp. The 704 will go directly to the amp on all connections (LD IN).

I even have another analog only player, an LD-v6000 that I might throw in the mix, but probably that one will go through my svhs.

I am not certain any of this will work for sure but I'll find out when I get the e800!
_________________
-LD Collection
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sony SDP-EP9ES Used as a ac3rf demodulator
PostPosted: 03 May 2017, 19:11 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan
User avatar

Joined: 22 Nov 2011, 18:54
Posts: 705
Location: United States
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 4 times
sjoerg wrote:
allgaeuer wrote:
It is nice if everybody finds what he needs for his configuration.

However I want to remind you that for a well-connected laserdisc player you need always FOUR connections:
1. the analog video connection (composite resp. yellow RCA, or S-video)
2. the analog stereo connection (red and white RCA)
3. the digital connection (optical, or coaxial)
4. AC-3 RF (usually a black RCA)
Some people tend to think that the digital connections can replace the analog one, but this is not true.

If you connect only digital and omit the analog stereo connection,
A. you will not get any sound from an analog-only disc (old PAL or NTSC),
B. you will not get the second language from a bilingual disc,
C. you will never hear the assistant vocal singer on a Karaoke disc (singing in analog/R only)
D. you will never hear the commentary of the director on some DD5.1 discs (speaking in analog/L only)

Keep this in mind, especially when you consider to hook up two Laserdisc players at the same time ... ;)


That is a very good point, I do plan to hook up ALL the inputs (analog included) apparently one drawback to the unit I got is that it will not output the analog input through the optical( I believe), I can solve this (I think) by hooking my DVL-90s analog directly to the DVD in on my Pioneer, and leave the D704 hooked to the LD in.
All digital signals from DVL-90 will go to the e800 and then into the DVD IN on the amp. The 704 will go directly to the amp on all connections (LD IN).

I even have another analog only player, an LD-v6000 that I might throw in the mix, but probably that one will go through my svhs.

I am not certain any of this will work for sure but I'll find out when I get the e800!


The one thing that was not incorporated into the E800 is an A/D converter for the analog input so that the audio can be converted and go to the AVR via the E800's digital audio output. I have the schematic for the E800 and the analog audio input is routed to the front 2 of the E800's 5.1 audio outputs. Too bad, as this would give you the ability of 3 LD players hooked to an E800 using digital connections.


Last edited by dumbchemist on 03 May 2017, 20:41, edited 1 time in total. _________________
LD
Pioneer CLD-D406
Sony MDP-600
CED
934-54780150, 934.54810350, SJT-200, CED-1, 3-VIP1000, VIP201P
Offline
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to: