It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 17:01

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: [APD-1] Sound question
PostPosted: 20 Nov 2017, 00:41 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

I just picked up a Yamaha APD-1 decoder and use it with my Sony MDP-600. The Sony has an AC3RF hack to output the AC3 signal. My receiver is an Onkyo TX-SR707 which is about 10 years old.

I am using the standard digital out from the APD-1 (not the optical) to connect to my Onkyo.

The whole set up works great but on occasion if I pause a movie and then resume or if I use the jog shuttle on my remote to skip around, the Onkyo loses the AC3 signal. The decode light on the APD-1 is still lit but the 5.1 output stops. If I pause the movie again and immediately resume it, the AC3 comes back.

It very well could be something with my Onkyo sensing the loss of AC3 input and when that happens it switches the output, but I was curious if anyone else has had a similar problem with the APD-1 and/or an Onkyo receiver.

Post subject: Re: Yamaha APD-1 Question
PostPosted: 20 Nov 2017, 12:10 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Digital surround streams like dolby 5.1 and dts only work in realtime. I know some dvd and bluray players will 'make' some pcm stereo when fastforwarding 2x, but at 4 times or more they also output no audio. Pause is pause, a still frame, so that one also has no audio. When play is pressed again the receiver engages again on the signal received.
Or do you mean the Onkyo doesn't come back at 5.1 after pressing play again?
Do you have all the ld inputs under one preset? Because my Sony STR DE 675 has at its dvd input an analog, coax digital and optical input to go to the same dvd input and i have to manually switch those, not let it auto switch between these as i have all of them connected because of lack of other unused inputs.

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2017, 18:54 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

It could be to do with the AC3 RF mod and how it's handling the mute/squelch signal during pause/trick play.

PostPosted: 23 Nov 2017, 07:08 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

Thanks for the replies. Could be the AC3 hack on my player but thinking more about this, the decode light on the APD-1 is lit so I assume it is sensing the AC3 signal. Since the output is wrong, I have to assume the Onkyo is doing something funny with it. I'll have to do another test and see if the DD logo is lit on the Onkyo when the output is messed up...

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ]