It is currently 19 Mar 2024, 06:08

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Dual LD player Home Theater with PCM, AC3, & DTS capability
PostPosted: 14 Jul 2018, 04:26 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

So I wasn't sure if this posting should have been in the "LD Player" section or this "AC3RF Demodulators" section as the topic I'm writing about is a bit of a hybrid. In the end, I decided it really was more about Demodulators so here we go.

What I have in the following pics is one of my home theaters that utilizes dual players that are both capable of outputting Dolby Digital, DTS, PCM and analog audio. I recently made a change to this set-up by adding a Denon, AVD-2000 to act as a switch box for the two players and then having the signal carry over to a Denon, AVR-3805 (via S/PDIF optical).

So here are the two players. One player has an AC3-RF out mod and the other has the same mod but with an internal AC3-RF Demodulator.

Next up is the back panel of both players showing two sets of digital outputs from each player so I can send Dolby Digital (on the modded outputs) and PCM/DTS (on the factory S/PDIF outputs).

Now we see the back panel of the Denon, AVD-2000 showing what connections I have coming into it from the LD players (Player 1 connected to "AC3-RF" and “Optical 1" while Player 2 is connected to "Coaxial 2" and “Optical 2"). Also, I do have the S/PDIF out of the AVD-2000 actually going to a S/PDIF splitter (the square box in the pic) to create a dual S/PDIF out so I can run two sets of digital outputs to the AV Receiver to sync it with the two players video and analog audio outputs.

Finally, a front image showing the basic signal flow of all the "digital" connections (the LD players video and analog audio connections are going directly to the AV Receiver).

So the beauty of this system is that I literally have two AC3-RF Demodulators to pull off this dual player set-up (one demodulator in player 2 and another in the AVD-2000 processor). Also, since I am using the AVD-2000 as more of a switcher, it solves the issue of assigning multiple digital inputs on the Denon AV Receiver since as we know it's a pain that we can't assign more than one digital input for every video/analog audio input.

Now I just sit back, pop in two discs at a time like a Pioneer LD-W1 (keeping one player off at a time), and enjoy a movie in any sound format I want with the utmost ease in switching inputs. :thumbup:

Last edited by ldfan on 24 Jul 2023, 01:49, edited 6 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Dual LD player HTS with PCM, AC3, & DTS capability
PostPosted: 17 Jul 2018, 02:09 
Honest fan
Honest fan

You genius!

Can I have a look at your internal AC-3 RF demodulator module? I believe it is a bit tricky to get it hooked up properly before blowing up the main board.

Thanks.

PostPosted: 17 Jul 2018, 02:48 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

I've done this with my 3070 and S1 but no AC3 as I prefer the analog 2 channel setup over 5.1
But nicely done.

PostPosted: 17 Jul 2018, 08:02 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

tomrlee_m998 wrote:
Can I have a look at your internal AC-3 RF demodulator module?

Sure. Not a problem at all. :)

The smaller green board to the left is the AC3-RF output board and the larger green board in the middle is the AC3-RF Demodulator (made by Sample Rate Systems).

Here are the top view points I soldered to get the signal into and out of the Demodulator (red wire is +5vdc, blue wire is -5vdc, and black wire is GND).

Here is the bottom view showing the coax cable that will be sent to the RCA jack.

Unfortunately, since the Demodulator board is no longer available, this type of mod is going to be very rare to perform at this point.

Quote:
I believe it is a bit tricky to get it hooked up properly before blowing up the main board.

At first it was a bit tough as I was not sure exactly where the AC3 Digital output was to go. However, after e-mailing the seller several times, he eventually pointed out that this version of the Demodulator uses an "isolation transformer" (the black module with BEL imprinted on it) that isolates the board from the RCA jack to prevent GND loops. It appears these are common on third party S/PDIF output boards as well. As for the other points, nothing really complicated as they were similar to setting up the AC3-RF output board. Overall, I would not rate the mod as being too tricky but one has to have some basic electronic skills.

Last edited by ldfan on 04 Sep 2018, 02:21, edited 4 times in total.

PostPosted: 17 Jul 2018, 11:55 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Thank you very much for your stunning pictures. I wish I could have done something like that long time before.

The boards look quite nice and neat. The supporting poles are highly secure as well.

I have even come up with a fake internal mod idea. Just chuck in a Kenwood 999D and drill a hole on the back panel then make it look like something cool :lol:

Thanks a lot for uploading again. I can do some schematic capture and board layout actually. Only thing missing is to produce the board with all SMDs.

PostPosted: 19 Jul 2018, 06:29 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

tomrlee_m998 wrote:

The boards look quite nice and neat. The supporting poles are highly secure as well.

Well....it really is just being held in place with double stick tape. :lol: It's good enough just to keep it in place during use but if the player was shipped it probably would fall apart. It would have been preferred to secure it down w/ screws but I'm not going to drill into any circuit board to make that happen. :thumbdown:

Quote:
I have even come up with a fake internal mod idea. Just chuck in a Kenwood 999D and drill a hole on the back panel then make it look like something cool :lol:

That could actually work if the Kenwood comes w/ a power supply board that you could separate from the Demod board (then use the player's power to power it up). But honestly speaking, I'd keep the external Demod the way it is since it's much more flexible to use (I can't use my internal demodulator except for the player that it's installed in).

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]