It is currently 24 Feb 2018, 00:47




 Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Pioneer Plasma TV with built in MUSE decoder
PostPosted: 05 Aug 2012, 05:57 
Jedi Initiate
Jedi Initiate
User avatar

Joined: 30 Aug 2005, 15:38
Posts: 2799
Location: Pennsylvania
Has thanked: 8 times
Been thanked: 7 times
Anyone ever come across this?

http://pioneer.jp/press-e/1999/0610-1.html

While it's rather old, so more than likely none of them are "alive" anymore (plasmas at that point were believed to only have a 10 year lifespan.) Were there any other TVs/Monitors that had built in MUSE decoders? I imagine this would be good for NTSC LDs as well, since it was made by Pioneer (more than likely featuring a good 3D comb filter.)
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pioneer Plasma TV with built in MUSE decoder
PostPosted: 05 Aug 2012, 10:19 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested
User avatar

Joined: 06 Jun 2005, 06:04
Posts: 55
Location: Los Angeles
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time
1,680,000 JPY = 21,406.73 USD

:shock:
_________________
æ.tc SKT 400 LDR 600 CLD-D604 9Z5-00013 CLD-52 CLD-2080 CLD-D606 CLD-D501
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pioneer Plasma TV with built in MUSE decoder
PostPosted: 05 Aug 2012, 10:24 
User avatar
the first kuro series also had it, it is an option card you can still put in the us/euro models
  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pioneer Plasma TV with built in MUSE decoder
PostPosted: 05 Aug 2012, 23:31 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan
User avatar

Joined: 23 Sep 2003, 18:14
Posts: 1391
Location: United States
Has thanked: 34 times
Been thanked: 17 times
nllaserdiscnl wrote:
the first kuro series also had it, it is an option card you can still put in the us/euro models

Interesting. I didn't know that there was such an option. Rather wish I had one of those cards (the TV to use it with would be nice too).

Here is a list of TVs with internal MUSE decoders which I have compiled. I do not claim that it is either comprehensive or entirely correct ; some of the models listed (particularly the earlier ones) may actually have simply been sold with an external decoder as a package deal.
_________________
MUSE decoder information and user guides
LD player connexion guide
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pioneer Plasma TV with built in MUSE decoder
PostPosted: 06 Aug 2012, 19:28 
Jedi Initiate
Jedi Initiate
User avatar

Joined: 30 Aug 2005, 15:38
Posts: 2799
Location: Pennsylvania
Has thanked: 8 times
Been thanked: 7 times
publius wrote:
Here is a list of TVs with internal MUSE decoders which I have compiled. I do not claim that it is either comprehensive or entirely correct ; some of the models listed (particularly the earlier ones) may actually have simply been sold with an external decoder as a package deal.

That's neat that they some not only had video outs (so you can record Hi-Vision programming with a W-VHS deck) but even downconversion so you can use a regular VCR/S-VHS VCR to record programming. Sure you'd lose resolution big time, but it least you had the option!

I can recall RCA's earlier HDTVs that actually had HD receivers and/or DirecTV receivers built in had no video out for recording (of course, your only option at that time was a D-VHS deck, but still!)
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pioneer Plasma TV with built in MUSE decoder
PostPosted: 06 Aug 2012, 21:14 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan
User avatar

Joined: 23 Sep 2003, 18:14
Posts: 1391
Location: United States
Has thanked: 34 times
Been thanked: 17 times
elahrairrah wrote:
That's neat that they some not only had video outs (so you can record Hi-Vision programming with a W-VHS deck) but even downconversion so you can use a regular VCR/S-VHS VCR to record programming. Sure you'd lose resolution big time, but it least you had the option!

I think it may be possible to use some of the plasma-TV receiver units without their matching panels (which are likely to have gone bad by now!) as MUSE decoders (the other video processing functions are probably very obsolete by now), but the manuals I've seen don't exactly tell you whether the components can stand alone.
_________________
MUSE decoder information and user guides
LD player connexion guide
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pioneer Plasma TV with built in MUSE decoder
PostPosted: 07 Aug 2012, 03:54 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan
User avatar

Joined: 23 Sep 2003, 18:14
Posts: 1391
Location: United States
Has thanked: 34 times
Been thanked: 17 times
It is amusing that the downconversion option makes it possible to create anamorphic widescreen VHS tapes. Seems a bit pointless to me!

(Although, with ED-Beta, the results might not be that bad.)
_________________
MUSE decoder information and user guides
LD player connexion guide
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pioneer Plasma TV with built in MUSE decoder
PostPosted: 07 Aug 2012, 07:26 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan
User avatar

Joined: 03 Oct 2003, 10:06
Posts: 584
Location: at home :p
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 4 times
publius wrote:
I think it may be possible to use some of the plasma-TV receiver units without their matching panels (which are likely to have gone bad by now!) as MUSE decoders (the other video processing functions are probably very obsolete by now), but the manuals I've seen don't exactly tell you whether the components can stand alone.


Thing is, that probably all those "TV receiver boxes" that came with Plasma screens have a special connector, that you can only connect to said Plasma screen and nowhere else. Also assuming they wont really do much more than "beep" without the screen being connected to them. The box connected to my Pioneer Kuro is totally useless and will do nothing without being connected to the display. Probably also because the remote sensor is in the screen bezel and not in that box :P It gets even better: Pioneer build in a device that checks if that box gets opened. If it is ever powered on while being open, it'll stop working all together and has to be sent to Pioneer service to be made working again. Someone on another forum however said, that it is safe to open while being unplugged, tho you also have to close it again without ever plugging it in :crazy:

Anyhow, just guessing those tv boxes are very likely not to work on their own.
Also guessing, that any optional MUSE cards [for Pioneer Plasmas] were either only available on the japanese market, or for models that are out of production in years.
The 8th and 9th generation Plasma screens had no optional card slot (unless hidden and not really known).
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pioneer Plasma TV with built in MUSE decoder
PostPosted: 07 Aug 2012, 20:28 
Jedi Initiate
Jedi Initiate
User avatar

Joined: 30 Aug 2005, 15:38
Posts: 2799
Location: Pennsylvania
Has thanked: 8 times
Been thanked: 7 times
publius wrote:
It is amusing that the downconversion option makes it possible to create anamorphic widescreen VHS tapes. Seems a bit pointless to me!

(Although, with ED-Beta, the results might not be that bad.)

I make anamorphic S-VHS tapes with the over-the-air antenna digital convertor box in my bedroom. It gives you the option to output the video in "squeeze" mode. I use the "Enhanced 16:9" mode on my WEGAs to un-squeeze them. Look pretty good actually! Now if only I had a Betacam SP deck for some better color reproduction :lol:
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pioneer Plasma TV with built in MUSE decoder
PostPosted: 13 Sep 2012, 19:48 
User avatar
Huummm, interesting!
So can we order some "CARD" to Pioneer to have muse decoding or something?
  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to: