It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 11:06

Page 19 of 22 [ 435 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next
 Post subject: Re: Home Theater equipment list
PostPosted: 05 Feb 2013, 16:00 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

laserbite34 wrote:
Second Lucasfilm THX Sound System arrived today.

THX crossover cards intact

Ok, so maybe this is a stupid question, but what does this do? Is it basically a sound processor? If so, what's the advantage of using this vs a modern receiver that has a dozen DSP's algorithms? It looks very impressive, but I was not sure what the advantage of having a stand alone unit like this would be.

PostPosted: 05 Feb 2013, 16:10 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

invenio wrote:
laserbite34 wrote:
Second Lucasfilm THX Sound System arrived today.

THX crossover cards intact

Ok, so maybe this is a stupid question, but what does this do? Is it basically a sound processor? If so, what's the advantage of using this vs a modern receiver that has a dozen DSP's algorithms? It looks very impressive, but I was not sure what the advantage of having a stand alone unit like this would be.

Buy one yourself and find out. Owning two now is like owning the Holy THX Grail itself. Well it is the THX. :)

PostPosted: 05 Feb 2013, 16:18 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

But what would I do with it? Is this simply another stereo to multichannel converter? If I am watching Blu-ray's/LD's that have a dedicated 5.1 or 7.1 audio track I would not want to run it through a DSP as that will only distort the sound from the original intention. Nothing is encoded into "THX" so it's not like buying and RF demodulator for a laserdisc player so you can play the 5.1 AC3 soundtracks or a receiver with DTS-HD decoding where if you don't have the capability you will not be hearing the soundtrack as intended.

Or am I totally confused about this? Maybe I am misunderstanding this entire thing?

PostPosted: 05 Feb 2013, 16:23 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

invenio wrote:
But what would I do with it? Is this simply another stereo to multichannel converter? If I am watching Blu-ray's/LD's that have a dedicated 5.1 or 7.1 audio track I would not want to run it through a DSP as that will only distort the sound from the original intention. Nothing is encoded into "THX" so it's not like buying and RF demodulator for a laserdisc player so you can play the 5.1 AC3 soundtracks or a receiver with DTS-HD decoding where if you don't have the capability you will not be hearing the soundtrack as intended.

Or am I totally confused about this? Maybe I am misunderstanding this entire thing?

I guess just the same thing I would ask. What would I do with an expensive AVR.

I know what THX is and I don't need the 1000 word lecture. :mrgreen: Plenty of them on eBay USA you just have to know what to look for. If you like to run matching speakers amps and genuine THX sound system that you'd only ever see in a cinema.

I'd sooner buy a cheap AVR without THX as I don't like annoying decorrelation on right-surround. I'd sooner have, this and dial in EQ X-curve manually. I can monitor the soundtrack and much more.

PostPosted: 05 Feb 2013, 16:34 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

laserbite34 wrote:
invenio wrote:

I guess just the same thing I would ask. What would I do with an expensive AVR.

I know what THX is and I don't need the 1000 word lecture.

I guess the advantage of a modern receiver is that it is able to decode the new audio codecs. So for example, if you play a blu-ray, you get to listen to DTS-HD at much higher bitrates and sampling rates than say a standard dobly digital soundtrack. This is a substantial advantage as the max bitrate on dolby digital is 640 kbit/s vs 24.5 Mbit/s for DTS-HD. There is definitely a huge jump in the quality of the data stream (almost up to 50 times as much data). This is just one example. So I guess I am asking what the advantage of a "THX processor" is over something that decodes newer formats?

PostPosted: 07 Feb 2013, 11:04 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

id

Last edited by laserbite34 on 26 Jun 2013, 13:09, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 25 Mar 2013, 21:37 
laserbite34 wrote:
Well so far I've discovered the alignment settings have been locked with a 4 (0000) digit password that could be any :think: number of sequences?

Found this thread by googleing. Tried the same trick as you (unsoldering the super capacitor and shortening the contacts for days). Didn't work. So I mailed the Dolby tech support. And that's the reply I got:
This is an unsupported product now.
To retrieve the password
Power up
Press menu
System setup
Press and hold SK4 for 30 seconds (bottom left key)

And that worked, password appeared after just few seconds of holding SK4.

PostPosted: 26 Mar 2013, 01:12 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

The THX unit is simply a crossover card for Biamping the front speakers and a booth monitor all built into one. There is no such thing as a "THX decoder" or THX decoding in a theater and having the booth monitor and crossover cards does NOT make your home theater a THX theater.. THX crossovers are the only thing THX removes from a theater if it fails certification, and other companies make exact replacements so its no big deal if a theater fails.

PostPosted: 26 Mar 2013, 10:24 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

disclord wrote:
The THX unit is simply a crossover card for Biamping the front speakers and a booth monitor all built into one. There is no such thing as a "THX decoder" or THX decoding in a theater and having the booth monitor and crossover cards does NOT make your home theater a THX theater.. THX crossovers are the only thing THX removes from a theater if it fails certification, and other companies make exact replacements so its no big deal if a theater fails.

Least I don't have fee to Lucasfilm :mrgreen: and I have the original THX cards. I wonder if cinemas are still paying the THX fee to use the plague/sticker/poster on the wall and the use of the Life THX trailer.

Component Engineering, who made the 3417 crossover/monitor, produced newer cards to replace the ones that cinemas had to hand back.

http://www.componentengineering.com/thx_crossover.html

Still this unit looks cool to own over the consumer THX units I have plus the monitor part is cool to checking direct levels on an RTA or scope or volt-meter for processor/amp inputs/outputs where my consumer models would be tricky to make these modifications so I can easily check sound levels out.

I think the Behringer DCX2946 does quiet a bit all except putting speaker amp inputs outputs through it. The dbx 4800 is hefty priced crossover that got the THX rubber stamp approval fee.

Sooty can THX approve anything for free. Just send it over and he'll put his, paw on and it will be "5 paw THX Sooty approved" and where else are you going to get a free endorsement. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: 14 May 2013, 14:05 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

I upgraded a number of components in my system. Below is the final setup

Display:
Pioneer Elite Kuro Pro-141FD Signature Edition (60" Plasma Monitor)

Video Processing:
Pixel Magic Systems Crystalio II VPS-3800 Pro (VXP Gennum + Faroudja Fli2300 + Texas Instruments TVP5160 2D/3D 5line comb filter)
Algolith Mosquito HDMI (Digital/Analog Video Noise Reduction)
Sony MSC-4000 (Muse Decoder)

Source:
Oppo Digital BDP-105 (BD, DVD-Audio, CD, SACD)
Integra DHS-8.8 (HD-DVD)
Sony Playstation 3 (Fat 60GB with PS One, PS2 games compatible)
Western Digital WDTV Live Hub (Media Player with 1TB built in Storage)
Vudu BX100 (250GB Storage)
Pioneer Elite DV-79AVI (Region-Free DVD transport with 480i over HDMI)
JVC HM-DH5U(D-Theater, D-VHS, S-VHS, VHS)
AirTies Air7120 (Iptv)
TiVo Roamio Pro (3TB/450hr HD with 6 tuners)
McIntosh MLD-7020 (Factory built RF out)
Pioneer HLD-X0 (Hi-Vision Laserdisc Player)
Pro-Ject Audio RPM 9.2 Evolution II with Sumiko Blue Point Evolution III cartridge(High output MC)

Audio:
McIntosh MX121 (7.2Ch Processor)
McIntosh MC207 (7x200watts(min) at 8ohms)
Lexicon LDD-1 RF demodulator

Speakers:
Martin Logan Theos - Front Left & Right
Martin Logan Stage X - Center
Martin Logan Motion 4 - Sides & Rears
Martin Logan Descent I - Left & Right Subwoofers

Furniture:
Salamander Designs Corsica Triple 237
Salamander Designs Corsica Twin 323
BDI Studio Arena 9972 TV Mount

Power:
Panamax M5300-PM (2 in front cabinet + 1 in back cabinet)

Cables & Wires:
All audio & video cables, speakers wires, power cords are AudioQuest

Last edited by substance on 20 Nov 2013, 00:19, edited 6 times in total. _________________
Coming Soon
Derman Labs
Anything Of Substance

PostPosted: 14 May 2013, 14:19 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

substance wrote:
I upgraded a number of components in my system. Below is the final setup

Display:
Pioneer Elite Kuro Pro-141FD Signature Edition (60" Plasma Monitor)

Video Processing:
Pixel Magic Systems Crystalio II VPS-3800 Pro (VXP Gennum + Faroudja Fli2300 + TI 2D/3D 5line comb filter)
Algolith Mosquito HDMI (Digital/Analog Video Noise Reduction)

Source:
Oppo Digital BDP-105 (BD, DVD-Audio, CD, SACD)
Integra DHS-8.8 (HD-DVD)
Sony Playstation 3 (Fat 60GB with PS One, PS2 games compatible)
Western Digital WDTV Live Hub (Media Player with 1TB built in Storage)
Vudu BX100 (250GB Storage)
Pioneer DV-420K (Region-Free DVD transport with 480i over HDMI)
JVC Hm-Dh40000U (D-Theater, D-VHS, S-VHS, VHS)
AirTies Air7120 (Iptv)
TiVo Premiere XL4 (4-tuners with 2TB)
McIntosh MLD-7020 (Factory built RF out)
Pro-Ject Audio System 2Xperience Basic + ACRYL Limited Edition with Ortofon MC25e

Audio:
McIntosh MX121 (7.2Ch Processor)
McIntosh MC207 (7x200watts(min) at 8ohms)

Speakers:
Martin Logan Theos - Front Left & Right
Martin Logan Stage X - Center
Martin Logan Motion 4 - Sides & Rears
Martin Logan Descent I - Left & Right Subwoofers

Furniture:
Salamander Designs Corsica Triple 237
Salamander Designs Corsica Twin 323
BDI Studio Arena 9972 TV Mount

Power:
Panamax M5300-PM (2 in front cabinet + 1 in back cabinet)

Cables & Wires:
All audio & video cables, speakers wires, power cords are AudioQuest

Very nice. Some of my favorites on your list are: the Oppo, I hear the 105 is prehaps the best blu-ray player out on the market, and even though it's a little over $1k, that really is a bargain considering the quality you are getting, I have two oppo players as well, although I use them for CD and SACD transports. The McIntosh equipment, what is there to say,... some of the best stuff there. All the Martin Logan speakers. I use Martin Logan Vantages as my music listening speakers. Love the electrostatic sound, nothing like it.

One question: Where is the laserdisc player?

PostPosted: 14 May 2013, 14:22 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Update on my system as well:

Speakers:
Martin Logan tower speakers (x2), Model Vantage, Dark Cherry finish, 40" Electrostatic Panel w/8" 200 watt powered Sub-woofer for each speaker matched with
Mapleshade Threaded Heaveyfeet (x8), brass anti-vibration replacement spiked speaker feet and Shunyata Research Inc. Powersnakes (x2), Venon PowerCable replacement powercords. On custom speaker feet marble stands.

Signal Cable Ultra Bi-Wire Speaker Cables
Custom interconnect cables w/ locking RCA plugs and Belden LC-1 cable

Polk Audio RT600's (x4)
Polk Audio RT450's (x2)
Polk Audio LSiC Center Speaker
Polk Audio PSW650 Subwoofer
Hsu Research VTF-15H with rosenut veneer Subwoofer

Pre/Amp/Receiver/Processor:
Conrad Johnson Evollution 2000 Amplifier (Mods: Universal power cable connect added)
Conrad Johnson PV-12 Preamplifier
Conrad Johnson D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor (Tice Power Cord upgrade and optional ST fiber connector)
Jolida JD9 phono preamp (Mods: JJ Tesla 12AX7 matched tubes, Obbligato Premium Film 1.0uF 630V caps, OPA637AP opamps, Sound Damping Sheet applied to interior)
Onkyo TX-SR875 Receiver
SONY SDP-E800 (used as AC-3 RF Demodulator for Laserdisc player)

Players:
Rega Planar 3 Turntable (Rega RB300 Tonearm. Dynavector 10X5 cartridge. Monster RCA connector upgrades.)
Oppo Digital DV-980H SACD/DVD player
Oppo Digital DV-970H SACD/DVD player
Sony Playstation 3
Sony BDP-S350 Blu-ray player
Pioneer Elite CLD-97 Laserdisc Player (with AC3 output mod and DNR Auto-off mod)
Pioneer Elite CLD-97 Laserdisc Player (with AC3 output mod), backup player
Pioneer CLD-D504 Laserdisc Player, 2nd backup player
Panasonic PV-9450 4-Head Hi-Fi VCR
Aiwa XC-30m 5 disc CD Player
Sony cdp-215 Cd Player
Sony TC-WE305 Dual Cassette Deck

Projection:
Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 8700UB Projector
Elite Screens - Home Cinema - 150" Diag. Projector Screen

Power:
AVS Voltage Regulator
APC H15BLK AV 1.5kVA H Type Power Conditioner

Media Server (Computer, over 16,500 audio tracks):
ASUS Xonar D2/PM Sound Card
Winamp media player w/ iZotope OzoneMP - DSP plugin

Room/Furniture:
Walker Edison Everest Multilevel Component Stand (x2)
The room is approximately 24 x 23 feet with vaulted ceilings and approximately 150 12"x12" sound proofing panels and additional corner base traps to minimize perpendicular surfaces and distortion.
Acrylic speaker cable risers
Custom marble dampening coasters

Attachments:
IMG_3906r.jpg
IMG_3906r.jpg [ 116.8 KiB | Viewed 6277 times ]

PostPosted: 14 May 2013, 15:34 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

McIntosh MLD-7020 in my list is the Laserdisc player. It is a Pioneer CLD-97 clone with McIntosh built(really?) RF out. Other than RF Kurtis and Duncan confirmed its just cosmetics. My LD gear within above setup is below;

Video:
McIntosh MLD-7020 -> 1m AudioQuest Hawk Eye 100% Silver Composite Cable with 72V Die-electric Bias System->
PMS Crystalio II VPS-3800 Pro( TI 3D comb filter->Faroudja Fli2300 de-interlacing to 480p->VXP Gennum to 1080p)->
40FT AudioQuest Chocolate HDMI with %2.5 Silver conductors ->
McIntosh MX121 (Video pass-through, Audio processing and DACs enabled)-> 2m AudioQuest Carbon HDMI with 5% Silver conductors-> Pioneer Elite Pro-141FD(ISF calibrated)

Audio:
McIntosh MLD-7020-> 1m AudioQuest VDM-5 100% Silver Digital Coax + 1m AudioQuest VDM-3 %6 Silver Digital Coax(RF Out)+
AudioQuest 1m Sydney Solid Copper Interconnects(RCA Analog Outs)->
Lexicon LDD-1-> 1m AudioQuest VDM-3 %6 Silver Digital Coax->

McIntosh MLD-7020 Digital coax out into Coax 1 on Crystalio. Coax 2 input is for RF(de-modulated) coming from Lexicon LDD-1. RCA interconnects directly from the player into Analog RCA in on Crystalio II. Crystalio II VPS-3800s analog video and audio sections are clocked by 1ppm high precision low jitter temperature compensated crystal oscillators. Crystalio II merges audio and video onto HDMI(after video processing) and send to McIntosh MX121 via 40FT AudioQuest Chocolate HDMI with %2.5 Silver conductors. MX121 decodes Dolby Digital or DTS or PCM from LD and passes video untouched to the monitor.

All of these equipment gets clean power from Panamax M5300-PM Stage IV power Centers and AudioQuest Power Cords. Stage IV filters strips RF/EMI noise by 100db+.

I don't think Laserdisc gets any better than this beside Pioneer HLD-X0.

PostPosted: 09 Jul 2013, 00:57 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

Recent upgrades and additions:

Pioneer DV-79AVI as DVD transport(480i over HDMI)
Pioneer HLD-X0
Sony MSC-4000
Pro-Ject RPM 9.2 Evolution turntable with Sumico Blue Point cartridge
JVC HM-DH5U D-Theater deck
another Lexicon LDD-1 RF demodulator

PostPosted: 15 Jul 2013, 01:24 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

I took a few photos of my equipment. My room is approximately 15' by 28' in size. I have two separate cabinets. The front cabinet sits under my monitor and houses my HT processor, power amp, Blu-ray player, HD-DVD player, PS3, VUDU box, and WDTV Live Hub media players. Basically all video components that do not need any further processing(1080p). My main sitting spot is in mid section of the room. Approximately 12' from my display. My second cabinet is behind this couch. There is a 40' HDMI cable connecting two separate cabinet components. Crystalio II is the hub for all components in this case. Below photos are from the second(rear) cabinet

Attachment:
File comment: Doors closed
Rear doors closed resized.jpg
Rear doors closed resized.jpg [ 129.14 KiB | Viewed 6202 times ]

This is how it looks like when doors are closed. All equipment turned off.

PostPosted: 15 Jul 2013, 01:26 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

On top:
Universal Remote Control(URC) MX-6000 master remote control in its base.
Panasonic cordless home phone.

Attachment:
File comment: Doors opened
Rear doors open resized.jpg
Rear doors open resized.jpg [ 155.01 KiB | Viewed 6202 times ]

This is doors opened.

PostPosted: 15 Jul 2013, 01:28 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

You can see URC MX-6000 a little better. 4" touch screen with tactile feedback. Wi-Fi, RF, IR control.
Top of the cabinet is glossy black tempered glass. Sides are Dark cherry. Inside is steel(black), shelves are black mdf.

Attachment:
File comment: From above
Rear doors open above resized.jpg
Rear doors open above resized.jpg [ 168.57 KiB | Viewed 6202 times ]

From above doors open.

PostPosted: 15 Jul 2013, 01:29 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

Attachment:
File comment: Closer doors open.
Rear doors open closer resized.jpg
Rear doors open closer resized.jpg [ 146.28 KiB | Viewed 6202 times ]

PostPosted: 15 Jul 2013, 01:33 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

Right side of the cabinet close up.

Attachment:
File comment: Right side
Rear doors open right side resized.jpg
Rear doors open right side resized.jpg [ 122.61 KiB | Viewed 6190 times ]

Component list from top to bottom.

Pioneer HLD-X0 Reference Hi-Vision/LD player.
Pioneer DV-79avi Reference DVD transport, secondary CD, SACD, DVD-A transport.
TiVo Premiere XL4 cable box.
Universal Remote Control MSC-400 Master System Controller. It controls all of the equipment in the cabinet.
Pixel Magic Systems Crystalio II VPS-3800 Pro Video Processor. All components are connected to it.

PostPosted: 15 Jul 2013, 01:41 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

Left side of the cabinet.

Attachment:
File comment: Left Side
Rear doors open left side resized.jpg
Rear doors open left side resized.jpg [ 129.98 KiB | Viewed 6190 times ]

Component list from top to bottom.

McIntosh MLD-7020 Laserdisc player, secondary CD transport.
Western Digital Switch with 7 gigabit ports.
Airties Air7120 IPTV. Internet TV streams.
JVC Hm-Dh5U. D-Theater, D-VHS deck.
Algolith Mosquito HDMI Analog/Digital Video Noise reducer.
Lexicon LDD-1. RF demodulator for AC-3.
Panamax M-5300PM. Surge Suppressor with Level IV noise filtration.

Note: Blank spot above Algolith Mosquito HDMI is for Sony MSC-4000 MUSE/Hi-Vision Decoder. I should receive it from Japan soon.

Page 19 of 22 [ 435 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next