It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 10:38

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: Head Unit/Receiver advice
PostPosted: 05 May 2013, 01:27 
Serious fan
Serious fan

I'm going to upgrade my old head unit. From my research some of the newer ones with HDMI inputs will send everything to my LG 3D 55" with one HDMI cable, including the laserdisc signal. Does this work well? Just trying to learn a little. Any advice on units is also appreciated. I'm looking to spend $400 to $800.

Post subject: Re: Head Unit/Receiver advice
PostPosted: 05 May 2013, 01:46 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

what is your set up now? I mean mainly the receiver and LD player. how many composites, s-video, component do you have?

PostPosted: 05 May 2013, 03:00 
Serious fan
Serious fan

I'm using an Optimus head unit I've had for over 12 years, running my Pioneer LD using RCA. I have a DVHS, BR, Betamax, satellite, and of course my LD. I saw a Denon today at the flea market and almost bought it. It was $160. It had HDMI but was a little older so I decided to see what a new one goes for because my luck buying used electronics is very hit/miss. Went to Crutchfield website and didn't realize I could get a new unit for not much more so I have decided to buy new, this way there shouldn't be any problems. Just wanted to talk with other users here because I watch a lot of laserdiscs and didn't want to make a bad decision.

PostPosted: 05 May 2013, 17:18 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

I think blu-ray.com or avsforum would be more helpful to you for recs. I've had the Pioneer VSX1019AHK since it came out and its discontinued so I don't know anything about the newer ones but I think you should stick with a 5.1 system though if it does do 7.1 and in your price range you always buy speakers later.

PostPosted: 05 May 2013, 17:49 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Thanks for your time. I've done more research here on the forum and have enhanced my knowledge. I will check out some other AV forums as well.

PostPosted: 06 May 2013, 19:36 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Decided to order:
Onkyo TX-NR717
Klipsch RF-62 II (2)
Polk TSi CS10 center channel

I've had good experiences with these manufacturers. The Onkyo has a lot of inputs and from reviews I've read it does a great upscaling.
If anyone has an experiences with any of these items please tell me how they performed for you.
Thanks!

PostPosted: 06 May 2013, 21:38 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

Why wont you match your center speaker with your mains? Opposed to common belief center speaker is the most important in ht systems. Especially in LD world with dolby surround you will hear nearly 80 percent of the sound coming from center. Its vital your front speakers have same characteristics and sound for a proper sound stage.
In my opinion klipsch and polks are very different sounding speakers. Horns in klipsch are very bright. I would go all polks but rti series or tsi300 and up for towers if you want to hear and mids at all. You will have hell of a time tweaking klipsch speakers especially if your room is small and not treated.

PostPosted: 08 May 2013, 04:27 
Serious fan
Serious fan

My room is large, over 20' x 20'. I went with the Klipsch because I was very impressed with them. I opted for the Polk because it got rave reviews and it was $100, the cheapest Klipsch center channel speaker I found was $250. If it doesn't work I'll change something. Ordering online is always just a guessing game when it comes to speakers, IMO. You won't know until you get them in your house, in your room. Will post when I get them set up, they should be here tomorrow.

PostPosted: 21 Jul 2013, 01:49 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

nikita70 wrote:
My room is large, over 20' x 20'. I went with the Klipsch because I was very impressed with them. I opted for the Polk because it got rave reviews and it was $100, the cheapest Klipsch center channel speaker I found was $250. If it doesn't work I'll change something. Ordering online is always just a guessing game when it comes to speakers, IMO. You won't know until you get them in your house, in your room. Will post when I get them set up, they should be here tomorrow.

You cant go wrong with those items. Solid stuff.

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ]