It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 12:55

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: M-360 processor
PostPosted: 06 Aug 2013, 03:37 
Hey guys, I'm still in but my whole setup has been on ice because I'm super busy. Just been stuck watching LD's on the old Trinitron wedged in the bedroom.

I came across an M-360 and picked it up to try a decent low-buck surround setup. Just wondering if there were any proprietary amps for these old units. It has a single RCA output for "Surround." Any vintage amps with that sort of single input? The unit also has speaker terminals for Surround, so worst case I can use those if it can keep up with an Advent 300 running the other outputs.

Thanks.

Post subject: Re: M-360 processor
PostPosted: 06 Aug 2013, 14:39 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

foolxmoney wrote:
Hey guys, I'm still in but my whole setup has been on ice because I'm super busy. Just been stuck watching LD's on the old Trinitron wedged in the bedroom.

I came across an M-360 and picked it up to try a decent low-buck surround setup. Just wondering if there were any proprietary amps for these old units. It has a single RCA output for "Surround." Any vintage amps with that sort of single input? The unit also has speaker terminals for Surround, so worst case I can use those if it can keep up with an Advent 300 running the other outputs.

Thanks.

Its the first Dolby Surround decoder, although they called it Dolby MP Matrix then - it has no logic decoding so any sounds that appear in the left or right front will appear in the surrounds at virtually full level and the surrounds will be heard in the fronts at virtually full level. It's a piece of history, not something to use in a system.

PostPosted: 10 Aug 2013, 02:19 
Hm, as a piece of history then, this could be in better hands. I don't know if you personally would be interested but you could just have it for shipping.

Does the next gen of Dolby Surround have nuance, or should I look for a good Pro-Logic I machine? For the latter, the Marantz AV500 looks favorable.

It's my first dip into surround. Not interested in anything current as this would be for my LD/VHS/wave 6 setup. Perhaps in the future I will be interested in current technology for the living room.

PostPosted: 26 Aug 2013, 01:51 
Okay, I grabbed a Denon AVC-1020. I'm in the dark with this stuff but this unit has been a decent thing to push sound through. It's just Pro-Logic I, no tuner, nothing fancy.

This old-era stuff is all cheap enough to allow one to play around. Looking at some other later Pro-Logic I Denons, I wonder, was original DDSC a tangible, palpable improvement, or just a bunch of bs? If it's a good thing, is there any dissonance between it and the MASH processor in the player?

PostPosted: 04 Sep 2013, 03:55 
This has become a DPL thread lol. Forget my question about DDSC. I just rounded out my speakers and the 1020 is boss. Stock DLK 1/2 f+r and an RCA Lineaum center (no subwoofer in the bedroom but there is a mono out I was able to try). I have no frame of reference so any comparisons to other surround equipment will have to wait.

I found that Marantz I mentioned, really affordably without the hyped up brand cost. I'm trying to cut a deal on an MM500 amp which is NOS but is totally dark ages. I can't see paying more than 250 usd to my doorstep and even that is probably high.

I will want to try some of this stuff on my main setup. I have some Marantz VQ2400's I keep on hand for upscaling non-VGA Dreamcast games to 480i. Wondering if there's a better way to link this stuff to the LCD in one shot. It's a Toshiba with component inputs so the VQ2400 wouldn't be horrible even though it is 480i. I think this just puts me in a position of finding a high-end DVD player from "back in the day" when quality made the machine (kind of like LD?).

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]