It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 13:06

Page 1 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Does Pioneer still service receivers?
PostPosted: 07 Sep 2013, 00:37 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

My Pioneer Elite VSX-27TX receiver has conked out. Powers on, but no sound whatsoever. None from analog or digital sources.

Weighing my options of even trying to take it to an authorized Pioneer Service Center (because maybe it is considered past end-of-life and no longer serviced nor are there parts for it?) or just biting the bullet and finding another receiver.

There is a 47TX being sold on Craigslist near me, but he wants $550 for it. A little out of my price range at the moment.

There's also a 52TX near me for cheaps, which would be great for DTS and Dolby Surround, but no RF demodulator. I guess I could always try to get an external demodulator down the road.

What to do?

Post subject: Re: Does Pioneer still service receivers?
PostPosted: 07 Sep 2013, 00:51 
Might want to try a service center. I just checked the database and there are a couple of posts regarding your problem...."no sound"

PostPosted: 07 Sep 2013, 04:21 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

i had a 52? Txi or possibly a 59??
it was a fifty number.
anyway i had mine new, went and bought a subwoofer and after hooking it up i found out that the sub was not working on the amplifier.
so i sold it.
IF i had to do it again i would just save up and get seprates, much better in the long run.
this way you get a great piece for your stereo to listen to music, older mono or stereo films and then you have the extra
gear for surrounds.

that's my 2 cents. :D

PostPosted: 08 Sep 2013, 00:15 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

rein-o wrote:
i had a 52? Txi or possibly a 59??
it was a fifty number.
anyway i had mine new, went and bought a subwoofer and after hooking it up i found out that the sub was not working on the amplifier.
so i sold it.
IF i had to do it again i would just save up and get seprates, much better in the long run.
this way you get a great piece for your stereo to listen to music, older mono or stereo films and then you have the extra
gear for surrounds.

that's my 2 cents. :D

When using my turntable on the 27TX, I just connect them to the L and R of the external 6 channel input. That way there is only amplification, no altering of the analog sound whatsoever.

Anything else that's digital, I plug in digitally (TOSLink or Coax) because the Burr-Brown DAC in the 27TX is one of the best ever.

PostPosted: 08 Sep 2013, 00:16 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

ldservice wrote:
Might want to try a service center. I just checked the database and there are a couple of posts regarding your problem...."no sound"

I did end up calling the service center near me, but got their VM. Someone did try to call me back, but got my VM and the message wasn't all that clear. I'll try again monday.

PostPosted: 11 Sep 2013, 22:40 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

Okay, so my VSX-27TX is at the Pioneer Authorized Service Center. Hope the costs aren't more than like $150. Anymore than that, and I might have to consider just scrapping it and getting something else.

PostPosted: 12 Sep 2013, 00:38 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

Take it to bestbuy geeksquad desk. I used to work for best buy magnolia and later geeksquad. They need to find the exact model in their system called nova (some stores use star). Best buy sell pioneer recievers so I am sure they will have your model in their system. It is essential that it is in the system in exact model number otherwise they wont have stocked parts. They will charge you $35 shipping and diagnostic fee which is reasonable I think. They will have you approve preapproval rate which should be around $100-120 it is generated by the computer it doesnt mean a thing. It means if the repair cost is less than preapproval rate they will fix it without asking you. If it is above aproval rate they will call and ask you to approve or deny it. If you approve $35 deposit you paid will go tru repairs. If you decline they will keep $35 and return your receiver as is. If the repair cost exceeds its current value then geeksquad will return the unit back to you as is. Depends on tech worked on it they may refund your $35 in this case. Expect to wait 2-3 weeks for an estimate and around 4-6 weeks for turn around time

PostPosted: 12 Sep 2013, 15:27 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

or if it's still dead you can sell it on ebay for parts or??

PostPosted: 12 Sep 2013, 16:06 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

substance wrote:
Take it to bestbuy geeksquad desk. I used to work for best buy magnolia and later geeksquad. They need to find the exact model in their system called nova (some stores use star). Best buy sell pioneer recievers so I am sure they will have your model in their system. It is essential that it is in the system in exact model number otherwise they wont have stocked parts. They will charge you $35 shipping and diagnostic fee which is reasonable I think. They will have you approve preapproval rate which should be around $100-120 it is generated by the computer it doesnt mean a thing. It means if the repair cost is less than preapproval rate they will fix it without asking you. If it is above aproval rate they will call and ask you to approve or deny it. If you approve $35 deposit you paid will go tru repairs. If you decline they will keep $35 and return your receiver as is. If the repair cost exceeds its current value then geeksquad will return the unit back to you as is. Depends on tech worked on it they may refund your $35 in this case. Expect to wait 2-3 weeks for an estimate and around 4-6 weeks for turn around time

Not so sure they'd have it in the system since it's from '98-'99 (before Geek Squad even existed.) Besides, I doubt they even know what an RF Demodulator is (which this receiver has built-in.)

PostPosted: 12 Sep 2013, 23:46 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

They will probably have it in the system as nova/star has a big database. Bestbuy service center is pioneer authorized repair center. They can always request parts from pioneer. I checked to see if they have laserdisc players in the database, to my suprise almost every single us player was in the system. There are usually three outcomes if the unit is in the database. 1- system tells you item can not be serviced(no parts anymore or not cost effective) 2-it will accept unit,it will go out. Bestbuy wont be able to get parts or repair exceed value so it will be returned as is. 3- they will fix it and return to store. It is not possible to see which one from stores end. Store only packs it and ship it. All revenue is taken by the service center, store will not get a dime from this. This results 1- unbiased opinion by geeksquad agent there. 2- the agent may not be very willing to try and check it in. When they see an old receiver they will tell you new receivers start at $200 you should buy a new one. Unlikely they will know about laserdisc or rf input.
Bestbuy already pissed off all the agents that could fix stuff by demoting them or killing off decent paying positions so most tech oriented,certified or at least self educated geeks left for other jobs. Most geeks are now hired from the floor people used to sell dvds now work for geeksquad. As you can imagine no training whatso ever.
They can just check in stuff to be shipped to geeksquad city in kentucky.

PostPosted: 18 Sep 2013, 22:12 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

Looks like my VSX-27TX isn't dead just yet!

Got a call from the service center and it was in lockdown mode because of a power surge (even though I have it on a pretty beefy surge protector.) Repairs are <$100. So I am relieved!

PostPosted: 18 Sep 2013, 22:18 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

that's great to hear :D

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2013, 21:31 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

Well, the VSX-27TX died again. Same problem. Powers on, but no sound.

I'll try bringing to GeekSquad just to see if they can do something for it, but I'm not hopeful. Might just end up getting a different receiver with an RF input after I get my tax return.

PostPosted: 23 Nov 2013, 18:47 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

a VSX-47TX might be a nice alternative; http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Pioneer-Elite-VS ... 27dab6a408

nominally, i'd recommend the 1990 VSX-D1S as the all-round finest PIO AVR ever made,
however, since you probably cannot live without DD compatibility,
that pretty much rules out anything prior to PIO's 1995 VSX-D3S...

PostPosted: 24 Nov 2013, 00:17 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

that is huge!

You need a forklift to carry it.

PostPosted: 24 Nov 2013, 04:02 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

Yeah, there's a seller on craigslist with a 47TX for sale as well. I was considering it, but I need to save money for Christmas.

I did bring my 27TX to Geek Squad as a last resort. If they can't fix it, I'll give up on it once and for all.

And more than likely get another Pioneer Elite.

PostPosted: 24 Nov 2013, 06:06 
You didn't get any warranty with the last repair??????????

PostPosted: 24 Nov 2013, 06:18 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

yeah, 30 days. It started having the same problems after the 30 days went by.

PostPosted: 24 Nov 2013, 18:09 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

xtempo wrote:
that is huge!

You need a forklift to carry it.

a real man's AVR requires a pair of strong men and their respective sons in order to lift it around... :D

PostPosted: 06 Dec 2013, 22:09 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

Geek Squad got back to me. They have to replace a board, so with parts and labor going to cost ~$300 to fix. I'm gonna go for it. I love that receiver!!!

Page 1 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next