It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 14:52

Page 2 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Does Pioneer still service receivers?
PostPosted: 07 Dec 2013, 18:26 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

Best Buy repair warranty is 30days from the day you pick it from store. They don't offer extended warranty for repairs, so 30days is it. If your device breaks few days outside 30 day warranty, depending on the geeksquad city manager(not store), they may help you out. I have seen the geeksquad city take care of the customer even 3-4 weeks outside 30 day warranty but it is not a common thing. If you frequently go to that specific store and you are a good customer, seldom times store eats the cost(all or half) and help you out. They can see your purchase history from that store and best buy in general. Amount of money spent usually not important(unless really big numbers) but loyalty is what they care for. If they see you shop there frequently even for small thing, they wont want to lose you.

hopefully you wont need these tips but in case your repair doesn't go well. Be very polite and express your frustration briefly. Geeksquad agent can not do anything .so don't waste too much of your time, ask for a store manager, or general manager(best if available). I suggest ask when general manager is available and come back on that time. Explain why Best buy should help you out and mention you are good customer and you like that store. %90 of the times GMs will help you out. %50 store manager. %10 with any other manager. a BIG DONT is never insult anyone, lose professional approach, or make a scene in the store. they will shut you down immediately. they can file it to their system and other stores can see it.

If this GM is not help, call the 1800 number and complain with the same manner I recommended above. 1800 number doesn't have much authority to let you know. So don't take whatever they say as granted. The big boss in this situation is the geeksquad city manager but you will never be able to get a hold of him. Even geeksquad agents cant call geek city. they can only email to generic help line. A store general manager can contact geeksquad city.

hope all goes well. you can use your reward card on the payment so you collect some points. if you have a bestbuy card you can finance up to 6 months no interest as well. Let me know if you have any questions.

PostPosted: 08 Feb 2014, 05:24 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

Finally got the receiver back from Geek Squad. I was getting a little pissed because going by the online tracking, it was in transit since January 7th. Called their phone number and after getting transferred around about 5 times, the GS head at the branch where I dropped it off finally confirmed it was in their store ("it fell between the cracks" he said :roll: )

Haven't had the chance to test it out though as there is no power in my area thanks to the recent ice storm (updating from my Mom's house in NJ.)

Really looking forward to testing it since I got that Pioneer Elite DV-45A SACD/DVD-Audio/DVD-Video player.

PostPosted: 24 Feb 2014, 17:53 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

Welp, the receiver is back at Geek Squad again. Same problem! Luckily, it went out while still under warranty, so they should only be charging me for parts (if they can fix it though!)

This is the last chance for this receiver though. If I get it back and it still konks out again, I'm not dropping any more money into it. There has been a seller on CL in my area who has had a VSX-47TX up there for about 6 months now asking $500 for it (after initially having it up there for $600.) I'll just grab that one if the 27TX refuses to get fixed!

PostPosted: 24 Feb 2014, 18:36 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

i think you should jump on the $500.00 -47TX. a quick Googling suggests it to be far more robustly built, seems like you couldn't possibly go wrong, all else equal...

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2014, 10:12 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Yes they will.
Pioneer service in Switzerland is based in SACOM AG in Biel/Bienne. They will repair anything Pioneer ever produced if there is still a person working which is old enough to know how to repair it. It's that simple.

PostPosted: 21 Mar 2014, 19:57 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

I got the VSX-27TX back from GeekSquad. They said they couldn't find anything wrong with it, and it was working fine.

It's out of warranty now, so I really don't know what else could be wrong. Last ditch effort to get it working properly, I decided to change out my surge suppressor. Bought a CyberPower Home Theater grade suppressor to replace the other CyberPower suppressor I was using (wasn't home theater grade.)

Hopefully this better quality power strip will be the trick.

PostPosted: 19 May 2014, 16:23 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

Changing the surge protector worked for a while. But then it started up again with the no sound problem. And now when it does produce sound, it won't decode DTS, only Dolby Digital.

So I gave up on the VSX-27TX. Found a Yamaha RX-V1 on Craigslist for cheaps. Going to try to hook it up tonight and see how it works.

Since it does DTS-ES and Dolby Digital Surround EX, I'm going to have to buy a rear center channel speaker or two!

PostPosted: 19 May 2014, 22:04 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Don't get me wrong.... :!:
Why are you so keen on having that receiver fixed or buy a 2nd hand for 500-600usd?
I can understand it's more nostalgic and even better looking than machines nowadays but IMHO these receivers had their run...
Aren't you afraid spending more money on repairs ? it's not like it is a ld player that stopped being manufactured...?

I must admit , the Elite receive looks very very cool. I'm sure it's a fine machine. the 47TX looks very solid btw! IT has hld cosmetics if you ask me :thumbup:
I couldn't justify spending 4-600USD for a second hand receiver these days.
I know it's about having luck with electronics...
I've had bad luck with my new marantz sr-7007 about a year ago... I refused a repair. I asked for a new one about a month every day. in the end they did it :thumbup: Every week they found another problem.. this board, that board, it might be something else.. we don't have the parts yet. I went :? :think:
Electronic boards going :crazy: ... I don't trust those "repaired" things. I think my first amp was manufactured on a Monday... I wanted a replacement mint sealed in it's box. got it in the end. Working like a charm now. turned out the first batch of these sr-7007 had a production fault in the hdmi board. More customers got their amp changed for a new one since I posted the problem online.

Again, I'm just being curious
The best of luck to you :thumbup: :wave:
Lexicon LDD-1
SR-7015
RMB-1585
DP-UB820
TX-58DX780E

PostPosted: 19 May 2014, 22:46 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

A good reason for buying a used receiver is because of the analog sunset law - new receivers don't have S-Video inputs or many of the features that users of old equipment need - and new receivers cannot, by law, convey HD signals over anything but HDMI connections - so no more component HD or scaled component signals. I look at the new receivers that have some cool features I'd like to have and just feel sick because they don't have the inputs I need and such. So used equipment it is.

PostPosted: 19 May 2014, 22:59 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

kris wrote:
Don't get me wrong.... :!:
Why are you so keen on having that receiver fixed or buy a 2nd hand for 500-600usd?
I can understand it's more nostalgic and even better looking than machines nowadays but IMHO these receivers had their run...
Aren't you afraid spending more money on repairs ? it's not like it is a ld player that stopped being manufactured...?

It's easier to find an older receiver that has a built-in RF demodulator than to find an external RF demodulator, I've found.

Why spend US$150+ on a stand alone RF demodulator on Ebay when I can spend ~US$250 on an entire receiver that will fit my needs?

I'm far from being rich, so if I can save a few bucks here and there while supporting my LD hobby, I like to do so.

PostPosted: 19 May 2014, 23:04 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

disclord wrote:
A good reason for buying a used receiver is because of the analog sunset law - new receivers don't have S-Video inputs or many of the features that users of old equipment need - and new receivers cannot, by law, convey HD signals over anything but HDMI connections - so no more component HD or scaled component signals. I look at the new receivers that have some cool features I'd like to have and just feel sick because they don't have the inputs I need and such. So used equipment it is.

This too.

My 40" WEGA only has 2 component inputs. With the RX-V1 and its component video switching, I can hook up quite a few components of mine now (DVD-Audio player, HD cable box, XBox 360, Playstation 2/3, over-the-air HD receiver, etc.) The only the LD player and blu-ray are connected directly into the WEGA (composite for the LD since the WEGA has a damn good 3D comb filter and HDMI to DVI for the blu-ray.)

PostPosted: 19 May 2014, 23:07 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Ah the rf input :clap: :clap: :clap:

that is a good excuse :thumbup:

I rest my case.
It is sad to see the S-video go isn't it.... :thumbdown:
Lexicon LDD-1
SR-7015
RMB-1585
DP-UB820
TX-58DX780E