It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 17:37

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Almost 'threw away' a Pioneer VSX07TX
PostPosted: 11 Jul 2014, 01:32 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Location: Manassas, VA/Northern Virginia/DC Metro/United States
Hello,

Yeah..I'm still alive. I haven't done much with LD lately as I spent months recovering from that nasty back business. I managed to survive 10 months of being unemployed without having to sell my two main players or movies (though that LaserActive player got the boot). Anyway, I started working on audio gear a couple months ago; and I've got one guy who pretty much regularly brings me not only a ton of work; but the occasional pile of goodies. Basically he's found someone willing to "refresh" the stuff he buys at auction to resell...and someone who will take the rest of the crap off his hands.

He stopped by today with a rather nice pile of stuff "that's not worth much to me" (or he's too lazy to sell); and amongst the pile was this huge Pioneer Elite receiver. It was the kind of thing I thought "crap, I've either got to sell that or dismantle it because it takes up too much room".

I'm not really much of a modern-era hi-fi guy...even if the stuff from the mid 90's is much different than what's out there today. However, before I committed it to the pile of stuff that had to disappear ASAP (either by selling or getting parted out so it takes up less room; I noticed one little thing on the back of the unit that threw a wrench in to the plans.

Yes, plain as day...AC3 RF In. Now, I knew there were units out there that had the included demodulators; I just didn't think anything THAT new (from the DVD era) included it...and I never thought I'd wind up with one. Let alone in a pile of stuff a guy gave me.

I guess I gotta find a spot for it on the shelf now. I have considered finding the service manual and seeing if it's possible to rip the demodulator out and use it by itself; it'd work better with the Onkyo's scaler that way.

Post subject: Re: Almost 'threw away' a Pioneer VSX07TX
PostPosted: 11 Jul 2014, 15:07 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Cool - There are probably LD users out there who would pay a lot for that. I'm assuming it has 5.1 outputs?

PostPosted: 11 Jul 2014, 16:24 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Location: Manassas, VA/Northern Virginia/DC Metro/United States
Yes, it has 5.1 pre-outs. However, it's too hold for 5.1 analog input. If my Onkyo had 5.1 analog input; my problems would be solved and I could use those with it's video scaling and keep sync.

I realize if I marketed it toward the right niche; I could get a rather decent return on it. It's really getting to be a tough issue. On one hand; I now have the ability to play back AC3 discs in some form; and getting a matching elite player would net me DTS ability (which that Pioneer doesn't have anyway). On the other...I'm trying to keep a repair business (and myself) afloat...and the extra income would be nice.

I'm having the same major issue with this karman/kardon P645 integrated and TU910 tuner brought down. It's really great h/k gear...on the other hand...i need money!

PostPosted: 11 Jul 2014, 17:37 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

I've never had the AC-3 amps but I've been and always seem to be in that type of situation :evil:
sometimes its better to just get a nice setup that you are happy with and trade/sell off the other stuff and be content about it.

I used to have all the 5.1 stuff and was just bogged down by it, and I had the idea to sell it off thanks to my father,
who actually bought all the stuff for 5.1 that I took when I moved :mrgreen:

and I can't be happier with my 2 channel setup, yet it would be nice to have that surround but most of the films
I watch are either in mono as they are older or foreign or they were just Dolby surround and when they
remaster to AC-3 and the likes they change or add stuff that I just don't like.
so even DVDs are run through 2.0

PostPosted: 11 Jul 2014, 23:46 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I started out with a big CRT TV with a good picture but crappy sound, so (having got a laserdisc player very cheaply) I decided to get an amp when I could afford it. It turned out that by then I could get a 5-speaker setup fairly cheaply, especially if I bought the cables separately from a different vendor, and since DVD was just coming in I decided I might as well go for it. I've since added a subwoofer and AC-3 decoder. While the difference isn't huge on a lot of things, I like action movies and SF, and occasionally it really does improve the experience.

PostPosted: 02 Mar 2016, 04:16 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

Believe it or not Pioneer included an AC-3 rf input on receivers up until 2008. Usually it was relegated to their top of the line. The last receiver I know of having it was the SC-09TX.

PostPosted: 02 Mar 2016, 17:30 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

VSX-09TX is the 1997 TOTL of this series of AVRs. it can be had quite cheaply;

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R4 ... X&_sacat=0

SERVICE MANUAL for this series;

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pioneer-Service ... SwI-BWHA7y

PostPosted: 02 Mar 2016, 17:45 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

jlindsey86 wrote:
Believe it or not Pioneer included an AC-3 rf input on receivers up until 2008. Usually it was relegated to their top of the line. The last receiver I know of having it was the SC-09TX.

I prefer its more proper name "LX-90 Susano" :)

Actually Theta Digital still makes the Casablanca IIIHD AV Surround Sound Processor which has 2 RF inputs, HDMI 1.4a with 3D support and DTS MA HD/Dolby True HD.

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ]