It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 02:37

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: An interesting switch box
PostPosted: 17 Feb 2015, 17:43 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I was looking for a TOSLINK switch that could handle three or more inputs and came across one of these on ebay:

http://www.trustedreviews.com/Joytech-C ... ew-summary

Aimed at X-box users, It's not just a remote controlled TOSLINK switch; as well as having an X-box input, it also switches four sets of svideo, video, RGB video, TOSLINK, and analogue sound, and incorporates an ethernet hub. This is a discontinued model because it doesn't handle HDMI, and is VERY cheap if you can find one - CEX, Britain's biggest chain of second-hand game stores, were last selling them at £8, about $12.

It's cheap enough that I've bought one to play with it - if it turns out to be rubbish I should be able to sell it on easily enough. I'll post again when I've had a chance to try it, should be some time next week.

Post subject: Re: An interesting switch box
PostPosted: 20 Feb 2015, 18:06 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

This arrived faster than expected - so far I've only tried it as a remote control TOSLINK switch but that seems to work very well, I have no reason to think that the other parts will give problems. It turns out that there's also a model with six sets of inputs but that has some oddities - it's much bigger and only four sets have TOSLINK inputs, only three have network connections, and the network ports are also switched on and off by the switch - presumably this has something to do with gaming network speed. I'm also getting the impression that the company may have gone out of business, their web site seems to be permanently down.

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ]