It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 12:00

Page 3 of 3 [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject: Re: Need recommendations on good 2 channel amp.
PostPosted: 08 Jul 2016, 16:14 
Honest fan
Honest fan

forper wrote:
That Kenwood LOOKS really good. Who said good design/good looking components are dead? Would be interesting to hear.

It is a pretty nice amp. From what little I can find, this amp was special made for sale in army bases in Europe. I check pawn shops outside of Fort Hood(large army base) every so often, and I've found several pieces of audio equipment like this.

I use it to power 2 Polk audio Monitor 60 series II speakers, it does a good job of reproducing music.

PostPosted: 09 Jul 2016, 00:01 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Ah it sounds nice. I was under the impression it was a new piece of gear but now I see it came out in 2002! That's why it looks so cool.

I heard the best yard sales in Australia have always been in Alice Springs because of the American families who rotate out of the top secret Pine Gap US installation there every few years.

PostPosted: 10 Jul 2016, 18:44 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

darkgenerals wrote:
Its a little hard to find good pictures of this amp, seems to be kind of obscure. The build quality is pretty nice, high quality caps, separated power section, and active cooling fans. The little front screen is useless, but cool looking.

Kenwood kmf x9000

I wouldn't call it audiophile quality, but for basic music listening and movies it does a good job. If given the need and chance I would pick another one up for cheap.

This reminds me of the KC-X1/KM-X1 combination. One of the first THX certified products released. Certainly the first in Australia where to get the rush on all other manufacturers Kenwood decided to import the Japanese version and sell it with the required voltage transformer included in the price (or was it the American version - I'm not 100% sure). From memory it was a transformer that might have worked ok for a low current device but perhaps not really up to powering an amplifier like this, Anyway they could say they were first!

The KMF-X9000 is an add-on to a later receiver which didn't have amplification for the surround back built in. I guess to offer a more price competitive product for people who didn't need it at the time or who had an existing 2 channel amplifier they could make use of. Details here (you'll need to translate from German): http://www.areadvd.de/hardware/kenwoodkrfx9995dundkmfx9000.shtml

PostPosted: 18 Jul 2016, 22:24 
Honest fan
Honest fan

forper wrote:
Ah it sounds nice. I was under the impression it was a new piece of gear but now I see it came out in 2002! That's why it looks so cool.

I heard the best yard sales in Australia have always been in Alice Springs because of the American families who rotate out of the top secret Pine Gap US installation there every few years.

Gotta love GI's with all that disposable uncle sam money. I've spent many a Saturday driving around Killeen with my parents looking for deals. Good way to spend time with my odd family.

audioboyz1973

I almost picked one of those up for the amp. I found one for sale down in Austin for under 100 bucks, pre-amp and amp. I skipped out because I didn't want to separate the combo. It looked like such a high quality piece of equipment.

Thank you for that link, when I found the Amp no pre-amp was present. ugly but looks to be good quality, shame it has no AC-3 input.

PostPosted: 19 Jul 2016, 00:15 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

darkgenerals wrote:
forper wrote:

Gotta love GI's with all that disposable uncle sam money. I've spent many a Saturday driving around Killeen with my parents looking for deals. Good way to spend time with my odd family.

Yeah, the USA looks after its troops that's for sure. The US bases in Japan I heard are like little slices of America complete with churches, burger shops and swimming pools.

PostPosted: 19 Jul 2016, 17:11 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

forper wrote:
Yeah, the USA looks after its troops that's for sure. The US bases in Japan I heard are like little slices of America complete with churches, burger shops and swimming pools.

I was stationed in Japan when I was in the Navy. We had a McDonald's on our base (but that's nothing special as there are McD's all over Japan) and a nice mom&pop burger stand at the billiards club. No pool that I can remember. We also enjoyed running over the US Army base not too far away and hitting the Burger King there (I believe you call them "Hungry Jack's" in Australia.) Those are not common in Japan so we liked going there a lot for some burgers.

Best part was the Navy and Army Exchange shops, since they would get Japanese and Asian products and sold them much cheaper. It's where I got my first LD player, a Pioneer dual side player intended for the Asian market (had a voltage selector.) Had to return it as it had an electrical problem and got a Sony MDP-A3 (US model MDP-650.)

PostPosted: 20 Jul 2016, 12:17 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Nice! Thanks for the recount! Good stuff.

Page 3 of 3 [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3