It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 12:11

Page 4 of 4 [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 Post subject: Re: DIY RCA interconnects with locking RCA plugs
PostPosted: 23 Mar 2012, 13:46 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

jamisonia wrote:
Okay I got in the ones from the Hong Kong seller. They are these. http://www.ebay.com/itm/180449799049?ss ... 1497.l2649

He also sells them in higher counts. These are the same ones that I bought locally. They lock perfectly.

The guy who sold me the Nakamichi ones is still evading giving me a refund. Should I open a PayPal case?

If he is evading I would say yes. You can open a case through ebay.

PostPosted: 27 Mar 2012, 00:05 
The Nakamichi stuff from http://www.nakamichiplug.com/ seems to be better quality than some of the reject like stuff that some people call nakamichi on ebay. I have bought stuff several times from that site and never had an issue unlike some of the stuff from ebay. The items do ship out from hong kong if i remember right and does take 2-3 weeks to show up.

PostPosted: 27 Mar 2012, 00:16 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Looks like a better place to order than ebay. I like the free shipping too. I am still waiting for the GLS Audio plugs to come into stock. I am not a big fan of the screw wire contact vs soldering. I prefer to sold the connections. People who rather screw it into place will probably prefer these. And they seem to be at a great price point. Everybody interested should at least check these Nakamachi out.

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2014, 02:43 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Necro bumb on this thread.

I'm going to be ordering the stuff to make a few of these. I'm mainly interested in making a few to replace the cheap ones that I scavenged to set my LD up.

I want to build a couple of cables to replace my composite video and to use coaxial audio instead of the TOSlink. From reading on the Blue Jeans cable site it looks like they recommend http://www.rawcable.com/cable/1694A.htm for both video and coax audio. Is this the correct cable to use?

My plan is to use the LC-1 cable for my audio.

I want to thank the OP if he is still on here, I had no idea you could make your RCA cables.

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2014, 13:02 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Yup, sounds like you have it right with the cable selection. For those that may not know, www.rawcable.com and BlueJeanscable are the same company. The LC-1 cable is for the audio RCA interconnect cables. The other you can use for the coaxial. I think the coaxial cable will be less important as it's digital so there really shouldn't be a big difference as long as the signal is getting through. I can say that LC-1 for the analog RCA cable is really nice and made a significant difference in the sound of my system.

Post some pictures and your thoughts when your all done. I'm curious to find out what you think as I have been very happy with my cables.

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2014, 14:51 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Will do, I'm more interested in running better quality video cables. My low end Denon AVR may not benefit from better cables but I want to see if I notice any kind of video quality difference when using good cables vs mass produced cables.

For reference:
TV: samsung 6000 series LED HDTV
Receiver/AMP: Denon not sure on series
LD Player: Proscan plsd - 46

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2014, 15:01 
Honest fan
Honest fan

darkgenerals wrote:
Will do, I'm more interested in running better quality video cables. My low end Denon AVR may not benefit from better cables but I want to see if I notice any kind of video quality difference when using good cables vs mass produced cables.

For reference:

Edit: so after doing some research on my current speakers. My JBL's are Control One monitor, the crazy thing is one side is powered. Some how I ended up with 2 unpowered sides. One of the cones got damaged so I replaced it with a speaker new cone, and I really love the sound these things put out.

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2014, 16:07 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

darkgenerals wrote:

For reference:

Give it a try. I had a lot of fun making the cables so even if would not have made a difference I still don't regret it. As for video cables, if it's analog video transmission then the cable can make a difference. If your looking for HDMI cable connections, unless the signal itself is dropping out (sometimes you can see "starburst" artifacts with hdmi connections with data dropping before complete picture loss), it won't make a difference. Also depends on the length of the hdmi cable. If it's short (under 10 ft) just about anything will do. For long runs (over 25 ft) then having a good cable is probably worth it.

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2014, 21:34 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

It's worth checking places that supply parts / cables for DJs for this sort of thing, they're more likely to have locking connectors than ordinary hi-fi places. Annoyingly I chucked out dozens of leads with these plugs a couple of years before I retired, we had an old oscilloscope in our lab that used them and had dozens of connectors stored in its stand, when that died we had no further use for them because all of the new kit used 4mm banana plugs. They weren't very good ones though, a bit old and corroded.

Last edited by ffutures on 01 Aug 2014, 21:38, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2014, 21:37 
Honest fan
Honest fan

My plan was to pick up locking RCA from a ebay seller a guest linked. Crazy thing is that same listing from 2012 is still active.

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2014, 22:42 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

darkgenerals wrote:
My plan was to pick up locking RCA from a ebay seller a guest linked. Crazy thing is that same listing from 2012 is still active.

Be careful with which locking RCA connector you get on ebay. I ordered a few of those really cheap chinese connectors (some were branded Nakamichi) just to experiment as they were so cheap and they were absolutely horrible. Waste of money.

PostPosted: 08 Aug 2014, 15:46 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Well I got all of my parts in the mail. Assembling the cables got faster and easier after the first few. Overall, very impressed with the GLS locking RCA plugs and the BJC cable. Very high quaility, very easy to solder, and was easy to work with.

I decided to go with yellow colored video cables just to distinguish between the audio and video.

Overall the video quaility seems to be slightly better, not 100% sure on this. Need to watch several other movies, I threw on ren & stimpy just to check function of everything. Full disclosure: this was the first time I have watched this LD, but it did feel like the colors were deeper, or more full. It may just be mind games. I may go back and rewatch fifth element this weekend to do a comparison. Would by passing the my AVR and go direct from LD to TV be a better idea? I honestly wounder if the AVR does any kind of processing to the signal.

It was fun project, and having cables that are worth keeping for a lifetime is worth it. I recommend to anyone that can solder, try making a set of cables.

PostPosted: 09 Aug 2014, 02:33 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Very cool. Nice job with building the cable, I'm glad your enjoying it.

Page 4 of 4 [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4