It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 22:08

Page 3 of 4 [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: DIY RCA interconnects with locking RCA plugs
PostPosted: 25 Feb 2012, 19:50 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Almost definitely, unless your receiver is top of the line model. Did it cost about $2k or more, does it weight more than 40 lbs. If the answer is no, go with the oppo.

PostPosted: 26 Feb 2012, 03:29 
I was refering to the Mega CD Changer, since that is what I will be using for the majority of CD listening.

PostPosted: 26 Feb 2012, 04:01 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Well you could run a digital out (coaxial or toslink) to the receiver and have it decode it through it's DAC. I guess you have 3 choices in terms of the DACS, Receiver, sony CD player, and the oppo CD player. I'm presuming the oppo is really ideal in terms of sound quality but you can use the others if they are more convenient. You can run both digital and analog out at the same time from the players and then switch automatically on the Receiver to whichever sounds better (by selecting inputs it will switch from analog pass through (using the CD player DAC) or digital input (using the Receiver DAC).

PostPosted: 28 Feb 2012, 18:03 
Okay bought some Nakamuchi Locking Connectors off of ebay and got them yesterday. Although they look very similar to the Calrad ones I bought from my local electronics store, they do not work as well. They'll probably be fine as RCA connectors, but they do not lock well. They tighten up a bit more, but they can be easily pulled off in the locked position with some force. The Calrad ones will never be pulled of when in the locked position, I am confident. Thats okay though, although I feel like it lessens the need for locking connectors.

My cable gets here today. The only thing I haven't ordered is techflex, but I'm not I'm going to, since I'm planning on conduiting as much cable as possible here soon.

PostPosted: 28 Feb 2012, 18:17 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I actually purchased some Nakamichi locking plugs last week. The previous model that I used (and liked very much) is on back order until mid-may. I do NOT like the Nakamichi ones at all. They seem poor quality, especially at the "plug" end. I am not going to use them and rather wait for the previous plugs to come into stock, or look for another brand. I didn't even try them as I know I don't want to use them. I'll probably just return them to the seller (on ebay) and ask for refund. Oh well, it was worth a try.

PostPosted: 28 Feb 2012, 18:42 
where did you order yours from?

PostPosted: 28 Feb 2012, 19:09 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I got if off ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/140634856727?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

I would not recommend these.

PostPosted: 28 Feb 2012, 19:35 
That is who I got mine from too. I concur. But I mean who did you get the good ones from?

I'm thinking of just buying the Canare solder type from Rawcable, although they are not locking ones, they are high quality.

There are also these, but they are from Hong Kong so...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/12pcs-Audio-Gra ... 2a07475913

PostPosted: 28 Feb 2012, 20:32 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Oh, sorry. The good ones are GLS Audio.http://www.speakerrepair.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=AHH_RCA

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2012, 14:51 
I contacted the seller, and he's only interested in exchanging them for another product.

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2012, 15:15 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Hmm, I don't know if it's worth exchanging as there probably are not to many options he can offer you. You may want to try and sell them yourself on ebay, and wait for GLS audio ones to be restocked, although that's 2 1/2 months away if the estimates are accurate. I'm kind of stuck waiting myself, I just don't want to compromise (or pay 30 bucks a piece for WBT locking plugs). :)

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2012, 20:24 
Did you try to return yours?

If he won't refund me, I'll probably just try to use them. Of course there are those Hong Kong ones. I could get a small a batch and check them out. If they're good then get a larger batch from him. These are all made in China anyway, probably makes little difference if you get them direct or not.

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2012, 21:19 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I'm in the process of returning them. He asked me to return if I want a refund and I said yes. I requested the seller's address to send them back but I haven't heard back, that was a few days ago....

PostPosted: 09 Mar 2012, 03:53 
Parts Express sells a couple different types of locking rca connectors under the dayton audio brand

PostPosted: 09 Mar 2012, 13:57 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

aheffner9268 wrote:
Parts Express sells a couple different types of locking rca connectors under the dayton audio brand

I was looking at that. I actually considered buying them but decided to hold off at the last minute. I got "burned" with the nakamichi plugs which looked like they were going to be of the same quality as the GLS plugs but were a major disappointment. I'm kind of torn between buying the dayton plugs (and seeing how they are), or just waiting until mid May until the GLS plugs are re-stocked. I don't feel like going through the hassle of returning plugs again. I bought some upgrade material for my phono preamp from parts-express about a week ago, I probably should have just added the plugs onto my order at that time. :)

PostPosted: 10 Mar 2012, 14:56 
Did the seller end up letting you return them? He has no responded to me.

PostPosted: 10 Mar 2012, 15:17 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

jamisonia wrote:
Did the seller end up letting you return them? He has no responded to me.

Yes, he did respond. It seems like he takes 3-4 days to respond to each email I have sent him. He gave me a return address and I mailed it back this past week. I "hope" I get a refund in the next 2 weeks as this seller doesn't seem to be "Mr. Speedy". I hope the GLS audio plugs come in as expected (5/15, according to the website), I can wait 2 more months but I really want to make another pair of cables for my phono preamp to preamp connection. I am waiting for one more component to arrive before I mod my Jolida JD9 phono preamp. I will post pics and most likely a step by step instruction like I did for my cables. It's a great sounding phono preamp and supposedly takes it to much higher level with some mods.

PostPosted: 12 Mar 2012, 18:13 
he never responded to me. I have some coming in from Hong Kong so i will report to see if those are any better

PostPosted: 12 Mar 2012, 19:21 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

jamisonia wrote:
he never responded to me. I have some coming in from Hong Kong so i will report to see if those are any better

Are they nakamachi plugs or something different? They sell some Dayton plugs on parts-express which look descent, but who knows, it may be wroth trying out.

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2012, 13:42 
Okay I got in the ones from the Hong Kong seller. They are these. http://www.ebay.com/itm/180449799049?ss ... 1497.l2649

He also sells them in higher counts. These are the same ones that I bought locally. They lock perfectly.

The guy who sold me the Nakamichi ones is still evading giving me a refund. Should I open a PayPal case?

Page 3 of 4 [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next