It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 10:45

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: Breaking in new receiver
PostPosted: 15 Feb 2016, 05:31 
True fan
True fan

I took the plunge and snagged the Onkyo nr626 from A4L. Been messing around for the past few days and think I've finally got it down. The Marvell Qdeo upscaling indeed impressive. It has finally resulted in a similar image to my old 4:3 480i trinitron with DMR-es25 in many ways, whilst also still highlighting the format's inherent defects. You can't ever have everything right? :D Also running the es25 makes everything simultaneously better and worse. Go figure.

But here's the weird thing. The sound is off when playing LD. Sure I took a big leap in clarity and power etc. and my speakers aren't the greatest, but no mode so far seems to replicate plain DPL on my old Sony str-de675. Some films are worse than others, but both DPL2 and Neo 6 are all over the place and send sound to all different channels. The closest is Onkyos proprietary mode DPL2 Theater dimensional but it isn't perfect either.
I did the Audyssey setup with antenna and finally realized to turn off all the EQ and audyssey curves etc. That helped quite a bit, but I'm still not getting the simple punch and DPL effect of my old amp.

Any suggestions?

Post subject: Re: Breaking in new receiver
PostPosted: 06 Apr 2016, 19:03 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Are you having problems with 5.1 disks as well or is this purely a 2 channel up-mix issue? If you are having issues with the discrete 5.1 channel output as well you may want to actually take some calibration measurements. I use REW and a calibration mic for this but there are a number of options. This should tell you whether it's just that you don't like their specific sound multichannel coders or you have an underlying sound distortion issue.

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ]