It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 00:52

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Analog audio delay
PostPosted: 11 Jan 2012, 02:32 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I have three sources of audio feeding into my A/V receiver. One is for video games, audio goes straight to the receiver and video to the TV so they're pretty much in sync (except for the TV delay, of course). The other comes straight from my Blu-ray player to the receiver, so that's fine. But the problem is with my LaserDisc player. The scaler I'm using right now is an iScan HD. It has digital audio inputs and outputs for video/audio syncing, but nothing for analog audio. My receiver doesn't have input dependent delays, so if I delay for my LaserDisc player, then I delay my Blu-ray player and game consoles. So my question is, does anybody know of a device that will delay analog stereo audio? Ideally, it wouldn't process the audio at all, just hold it for a set amount of time then spit it back out in the same format it came in.

Thanks in advance for any help

Post subject: Re: Analog audio delay
PostPosted: 11 Jan 2012, 10:53 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I do not know if this would work for your problem: change the analog audio to a digital audio signal using a converter. I have one that I bought from Radio Shack some years ago. It converts analog audio to PCM digital audio and has coax and optical outputs. It also converts composite video to s-video. The converter is called an Analog/Digital A/V Signal Converter, Radio Shack part # 15-1242.

Just a suggestion.
CED
934-54780150, 934.54810350, SJT-200, CED-1, 3-VIP1000, VIP201P

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2012, 13:27 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Can you run the laserdisc to the receiver, and the using the receiver digital output sources to go the the scaler and then the TV? In other words, put the scaler between the TV and the receiver and not between the LD player and the Receiver. This way you can run the digital audio signal through the the scaler as well (or perhaps not have a problem with audio syncing).

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2012, 22:46 
I *think* I own a pair of RCA cables that has some sort of box in the middle with separate delay knobs for audio and video. I'll check when I get home.

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2012, 01:22 
Ok so these are the cables I was talking about:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RECOTON-V616-Vi ... 9977790608

There are 2 knobs, 1 for audio and 1 for video but the description only reads: Min/Max. I don't know if this refers to a delay or if it simply "enhances" the signal in some way.

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2012, 01:30 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

ucfmatt wrote:
Ok so these are the cables I was talking about:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RECOTON-V616-Vi ... 9977790608

There are 2 knobs, 1 for audio and 1 for video but the description only reads: Min/Max. I don't know if this refers to a delay or if it simply "enhances" the signal in some way.

I would be very cautious with this. I don't think this is delaying any signal. Looks kind of like voodoo to me. Perhaps a signal augmenter used for long runs? Nonetheless I don't see any indication that this could be used for audio/video syncing issues. Just my 2 cents, could be wrong. :)

PostPosted: 06 Feb 2012, 09:08 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

If I were to use a DVD Recorder to take the analog audio and output S/PDIF, would it probably be output at 16-bit 48hz or 24-bit 192hz? How badly would this effect the sound quality? I remember I used to have a Sony receiver and whenever I'd turn on the DSP, it'd sound just awful. Would it be like that? (the receiver was quite old, early 90s)

PostPosted: 06 Feb 2012, 14:24 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

naiaru wrote:
If I were to use a DVD Recorder to take the analog audio and output S/PDIF, would it probably be output at 16-bit 48hz or 24-bit 192hz? How badly would this effect the sound quality? I remember I used to have a Sony receiver and whenever I'd turn on the DSP, it'd sound just awful. Would it be like that? (the receiver was quite old, early 90s)

What you select really shouldn't matter, even with the lower setting your talking CD quality and the original audio stream on Laserdisc is this quality. In terms of what you hear it's not the bitrate/sampling rate that's the issue but rather how good your DAC is in your system for encoding/decoding digital to analog and vice versa. If you buy a descent DAC then you shouldn't have any noticeable artifacting. Overall sound quality is ideally limited by the source not your encoding equipment (but this may require that you spend money on good equipment).

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ]