It is currently 19 Nov 2018, 05:40

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: DA converters?
PostPosted: 17 Sep 2018, 18:10 
True fan
True fan

I've been wanting to buy a proper amp so I can get my audio out through proper speakers instead of the TV for a long time, but there's one minor problem; the TV has an optical audio out only, so whatever amp I buy must have an optical input - which limits my options since I could otherwise just get any old vintage amp with RCA inputs, but the more modern amps with that connection and within my budget don't often offer dedicated photo inputs which is what I'd like when/if I finally get a turntable.

Except I could do that anyway if I had one of those basic DACs that take in optical or coaxial digital signal and convert it to analog stereo RCA. Would I be better off buying one of those and then just getting any affordable receiver/amp which would include some nice vintage models, or should I just keep my eyes peeled for one with a dedicated optical input and get a turntable with a built-in preamp?

Post subject: Re: DA converters?
PostPosted: 17 Sep 2018, 21:17 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

takeshi666 wrote:
I've been wanting to buy a proper amp so I can get my audio out through proper speakers instead of the TV for a long time, but there's one minor problem; the TV has an optical audio out only, so whatever amp I buy must have an optical input - which limits my options since I could otherwise just get any old vintage amp with RCA inputs, but the more modern amps with that connection and within my budget don't often offer dedicated photo inputs which is what I'd like when/if I finally get a turntable.

Except I could do that anyway if I had one of those basic DACs that take in optical or coaxial digital signal and convert it to analog stereo RCA. Would I be better off buying one of those and then just getting any affordable receiver/amp which would include some nice vintage models, or should I just keep my eyes peeled for one with a dedicated optical input and get a turntable with a built-in preamp?

Why don't you just use the audio outs on your player direct to an amp?

Or are you concerned with watching actual broadcasts?

PostPosted: 17 Sep 2018, 22:22 
Jedi Initiate
Jedi Initiate

Yeah. I almost never used the audio out of my TV for anything. It’s good for taping stuff or...watching actual broadcast TV which I don’t recomend anyone do.

PostPosted: 18 Sep 2018, 01:28 
True fan
True fan

forper wrote:

Yes, but mostly PC audio. I have my TV hooked up as a second monitor, and I have my media player software configured to play the audio via HDMI through the TV rather than the speakers hooked up to my PC.

I know there's amps with A&B configurations and I could just hook up my PC to that too, but I prefer a bit more control over what sounds are coming from where than that provides.

PostPosted: 19 Sep 2018, 16:50 
Jedi Initiate
Jedi Initiate

Well if your TV has the option to output PCM from the digital out and you only want stereo sound, you can probably make due with finding a Minidisc recorder and use that as your D/A converter.

I used my Yamaha MDX-793 for a D/A converter for my Runco LJR II when I didn't have my receiver setup yet and wanted to watch some LDs on my Plasma just after I moved into my new apartment (and the Runco LJR II Basic doesn't have a built in D/A converter, so only the analog audio tracks would be output from the RCA audio outs.)

Now if your TV can't output PCM, then you either have to get a receiver with digital inputs or a DSP like this:

Technics SH-AC500D

PostPosted: 19 Sep 2018, 23:08 
Jedi Initiate
Jedi Initiate

takeshi666 wrote:
forper wrote:

Yes, but mostly PC audio. I have my TV hooked up as a second monitor, and I have my media player software configured to play the audio via HDMI through the TV rather than the speakers hooked up to my PC.

I know there's amps with A&B configurations and I could just hook up my PC to that too, but I prefer a bit more control over what sounds are coming from where than that provides.

If you have a PC as a source I don’t see why you can’t just get whatever you need from that instead of trapping the audio into an HDMI signal just to get it out again with more hardware. Connect your PC to the amp. Done.

Am I missing something?

PostPosted: 20 Sep 2018, 02:53 
True fan
True fan

elahrairrah wrote:
Well if your TV has the option to output PCM from the digital out and you only want stereo sound, you can probably make due with finding a Minidisc recorder and use that as your D/A converter.

That seems a bit excessive. I'm shopping on a budget here!

signofzeta wrote:
If you have a PC as a source I don’t see why you can’t just get whatever you need from that instead of trapping the audio into an HDMI signal just to get it out again with more hardware. Connect your PC to the amp. Done.

Am I missing something?

Yeah, my PC infuriatingly only has a single audio out. Well, there's another one, but it's on the front and that'd look stupid.

I'm thinking about buying one of those basic "plug in and forget" type converter boxes that'd let me hook up the TV to any old amp with RCA inputs - I could just buy a more modern amp with HDMI inputs and then use that instead of the switch I use now (because my TV only has one HDMI in), but I seriously doubt I'm gonna find one that has both HDMI and phono/tape inputs and still cost me less than $100. I have two blu-ray players and the only way to get the audio out of those is through HDMI, but I don't really care if the signal gets converted to stereo PCM through the TV because I have no room to place surround speakers anyway.

PostPosted: 20 Sep 2018, 15:28 
Jedi Initiate
Jedi Initiate

takeshi666 wrote:
elahrairrah wrote:

That seems a bit excessive. I'm shopping on a budget here!

I was going to say that you can probably get a used Minidisc deck for cheaps these days (especially since I always thought that MD was pretty popular in the UK--not far from you), but checking amazon UK, the prices for even used decks are pretty outlandish!

Yeah, maybe something like this would work best for you:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?I ... gJIJPD_BwE

https://www.amazon.com/Musou-Extractor- ... ctor&psc=1

PostPosted: 20 Sep 2018, 21:20 
Jedi Initiate
Jedi Initiate

You can buy a USB DAC for like $10 I think nowadays. You just want stereo, right? I really think it’s going to be way easier to add an analog out to the PC. It doesn’t even have a headphone jack or something?

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ]