It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 18:49

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: 2 Subs vs. 1 Sub
PostPosted: 06 Nov 2018, 15:57 
Honest fan
Honest fan

I'm having a 7.2 AV Receiver delivered this week, and am seriously considering upgrading to two subs. Posters on every forum say they notice a significant improvement in sound quality, even if the individual subs are smaller than the one they replace.

I guess that's my plan - I have a decent but not outstanding BIC 12" sub, thinking I may retire it and go for two relatively inexpensive 10" models, say from Hsu or Emotiva. Is anyone else using 2+ subs in their setup/have you been pleased with the results?

Post subject: Re: 2 Subs vs. 1 Sub
PostPosted: 13 Nov 2018, 21:38 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I'm going to disagree. If I had X amount of dollars to spend I would go with a higher quality sub vs two inferior ones. Unless you have a room really big that you can't get enough low end for with a single sub I see no reason why you would need two. I own the Hsu VTF-15H and my room is approximately 500 sq ft. I have the sub volume on about 1/4 max and even that gives above reference amplitude (I like a little extra on the low end with movies). Sub placement is also important.

Post subject: Re: 2 Subs vs. 1 Sub
PostPosted: 13 Nov 2018, 23:36 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

My room is too small for two subs but I’m talking about a really small room. If you can get the subs at least six feet apart and still have clearance all around that would be my preference. People who say bass is “non-directional” are just repeating Bose talking points from the 80s, IMHO. Sure you can put a massive sub in the corner and blow the windows out but power isn’t everything. I find crappy/tricky bass to be almost nauseating at times.

You don’t need 7.2 to do this though. The same logic applies to even two channel systems.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ]