It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 11:44

Page 2 of 2 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Quentin Tarantino's The Hateful Eight in 70mm
PostPosted: 08 Jan 2016, 11:35 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Supposedly the 70mm print has a price tag at $40,000. A DCP is usually never more than $3,000 from my understanding. Considering how expensive this is, how much can a true IMAX (15/70mm) print be?

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2016, 10:37 
True fan
True fan

Finally had a chance to see the Hateful Eight before the 70mm roadshow ended. It was wonderful. The picture looked great, though occasionally out of focus, but I'm not complaining. Nissling put it best, it really was nice to see a nice, modern film print again, even if it is a novelty in today's day and age. Lastly, for people that are fans of Tarantino, I think this is his best work to date.

Last edited by ace2184 on 26 Jan 2016, 09:27, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2016, 17:56 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I would love to see a 70mm print but I really despise this guy's movies. So incredibly violent and anti-human, never again. I can already imagine the long drawn out "pulling the bullet out of his face" scene or whatever this particular movie's obligatory gross out moment is.

I did see Far and Away back in the day! I doubt it was projected anything other than 35mm when I saw it though.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 22 Jan 2016, 06:41 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Has anyone else here seen it in 70mm?

Screenings in Stockholm have been considered a success and are extended each week until interest is gone. An interview with the projectionist can be read here.
http://www.in70mm.com/news/2016/rigoletto/index.htm

PostPosted: 22 Jan 2016, 07:06 
True fan
True fan

nissling wrote:

Screenings in Stockholm have been considered a success and are extended each week until interest is gone. An interview with the projectionist can be read here.

Yes, we saw it at the Tower Theater in Sacramento California.

PostPosted: 22 Jan 2016, 10:28 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

nissling wrote:

Thanks for that :thumbup: .

Coming to Scotland (Edinburgh) in 70mm soon & really looking forward to seeing a 70mm film presentation again, many years now since I have had that viewing experience.

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2016, 08:59 
Serious fan
Serious fan

nissling wrote:

Saw it here in Vancouver, Canada. The presentation was rather disappointing, I thought. Didn't look any better than 35mm I've seen, and to my memory it wasn't close to The Master in 4K projection (not sure if they actually had a 4K DCP here or if it was upscaled). Perhaps the projector was out of focus.

I enjoyed the experience, though.

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2016, 09:19 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Sorry to hear. I know several screenings have been problematic but I guess I was lucky although not completely free from trouble. It seems like Rigoletto in Stockholm is the only theater showing the film with dual projectors (two DP70s) which may have been an advantage but at one point the projectionist was slightly late with switching between the two, giving nothing but a black screen for about four or five seconds.

The screen itself was also somewhat too high. I think the aspect ratio was somewhere around 2.66:1 and at some instances you could slightly see the next or previous frame at either the top or bottom of the screen. It was adjusted throughout the film to cover the issue as much as possible. The projectors were also using a shutter speed of 48Hz, giving some flickering at bright scenes. However the actual picture, inside the frame, was lovely. Warm and colorful yet not over saturated. Textures were fantastic and close-ups would be difficult to match in any other format. Far superior to any 35mm print I've seen (and I've seen plenty).

If you ever visit Stockholm, I'd say give Filmhuset a try if they show a 70mm print in Victor. It's pretty much the core of theaters and puts probably everything else in Sweden into shame. The screen (which is in true Cinemascope format) is near perfect with not screen door whatsoever and excellent contrast. Projectors gives a very sharp, bright picture regardless it being a film print or a digital copy. The theater itself is very steep so you can sit pretty much everywhere and still get a great picture. It's one of the few places where I can watch a movie and not feel distracted from the actual viewing due to underwhelming equipment. And if I'd ever make my own film, I'd love to have it premiere there.

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2016, 14:34 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

nevermind the technicalities, how is the film? I enjoyed the first few films up to Kill Bill of tarantino but last few didn't do much to me.

PostPosted: 23 Jun 2016, 11:58 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

nissling wrote:
I wouldn't really call it "proper film". TBH, I've seen so many crappy 35mm prints and going to a cinema today where I see a pristine digital copy projected in 4K is a big improvement over most of my old visits. There are good reasons why analog film isn't used very often by now but seeing a decent 70mm print is certainly an experience above and beyond the usual. Unfortunately you don't get the opportunity very often either, and by now I think it's very difficult for general people to get the point with the format so you can probably not make a lot of money out of it unless it's some kind of preview (like in Sweden, as digital screenings start on January of 13th).

Please let us know what you thought of the screening once you've seen it. Tarantino really got this one right for sure.

Hi nissling & so sorry not to have responded sooner than now.

Well after getting my tickets & really looking forward to the 70mm presentation I ended up missing the run here - two prolapsed discs with spinal twist & root nerve compression said no way!!!

I have had a bit of an ongoing back problem for the last 12 years or so & it can flair-up now & again. It can often take only a few days to settle down but sometimes it can take months - unfortunately this flair-up was a big one & is only now settling down a bit. The pain is a nuisance but when very severe the lack of mobility can become rather frustrating & a bit of a drag. With the feature having a rather long running time even when the back is "good" to be sitting in one position for so long would be a bit of an ordeal, even given that I am a bit p*ssed off that I missed it though.

My DVD player decided that after many years of use it did not want to play any more so when out to buy a replacement & noted a blu-ray/DVD player at less than half price so bagged one - I am a bit late to the blu-ray thing. I will get the Hateful Eight BR disc so will at least get to see the feature, the pause button & a wee move about for a couple of minutes now & then helps prevent the back "locking-up" thing happening. Would still liked to have viewed it on a cinema screen in 70mm but that was not to be.

Quite happy with the couple of BD discs I have played so far so am hoping that the Hateful Eight BD looks as good as some of the reviews have alluded to, apparently very good.

Again sorry for not getting back before now.

Take care & cheers for now.

PostPosted: 23 Jun 2016, 14:29 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

The Hateful Eight Blu-Ray looks excellent, though it's not the roadshow version. Not much of a loss really, but there's one scene that makes some of a difference...

When Daisy is playing the guitar, she sings a slightly longer verse in the roadshow version. In the standard version, a different take was used, in which an authentic Martin guitar from the 19th century was used while Kurt Russell thought it was a replica and smashed it by mistake. You can see Jennifer Jason Leigh's actual reaction right before the cut.

PostPosted: 27 Jun 2016, 00:53 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

nissling wrote:
The Hateful Eight Blu-Ray looks excellent, though it's not the roadshow version. Not much of a loss really, but there's one scene that makes some of a difference...

When Daisy is playing the guitar, she sings a slightly longer verse in the roadshow version. In the standard version, a different take was used, in which an authentic Martin guitar from the 19th century was used while Kurt Russell thought it was a replica and smashed it by mistake. You can see Jennifer Jason Leigh's actual reaction right before the cut.

Thanks, love wee bits of info like that & having avoided most reviews/articles on any features I intend to watch (till I see the feature) I can look out for that - cheers.

PostPosted: 27 Jun 2016, 14:51 
Serious fan
Serious fan

interesting, I thought film was no longer produced as a medium.

PostPosted: 13 Oct 2016, 14:11 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

nissling wrote:

Hi nissling,

A bit late but I finally picked up The Hateful Eight (which I enjoyed) on BR & have to agree that it looked excellent, still regret missing the 70mm cinema presentation though.

Hope all is good with you & you stay here posting in the future, I for one will miss your posts if you do "leave/brexit" the LDDB site/forum.

Best regards.

Page 2 of 2 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2