It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 00:40

Page 2 of 3 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: What's your opinion on OLED?
PostPosted: 26 Jul 2016, 13:29 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

forper wrote:
Samaron's post supports me on the techspecs, that these monitors WERE capable of displaying higher than 1080 with an A1200 hooked up to it.

samaron wrote:
The Commodore branded monitors could do like 640x512 resolution. Late stuff that came in the 90s could do 1024x768.

Comments are superfluous.

PostPosted: 26 Jul 2016, 23:13 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

But how did you originally determine this? Apparently you've never seen an Amiga capable of outputting the image yourself. I'm not sure one existed in period (it sure doesn't sound like it, but no dates have been given). However despite this Commadore was supposedly selling displays that would exceed SVGA resolution in a 13" or 14" CRT and labeling them as only being able to handle 800x600 or less presumably because only people with SGIs (or maybe Jeff Goldblum's genocydal Powerbook) could even generate the needed signal. No wonder they went out of business. What morons.

My God. The squeal from the tube must have been louder than the speaker.

Apologies for derailing the OLED thread. I'll eventually start a "Analog Flat Earther" thread when I have a more established point of view.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 26 Jul 2016, 23:55 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

signofzeta wrote:
But how did you originally determine this? Apparently you've never seen an Amiga capable of outputting the image yourself. I'm not sure one existed in period (it sure doesn't sound like it, but no dates have been given). However despite this Commadore was supposedly selling displays that would exceed SVGA resolution in a 13" or 14" CRT and labeling them as only being able to handle 800x600 or less presumably because only people with SGIs (or maybe Jeff Goldblum's genocydal Powerbook) could even generate the needed signal. No wonder they went out of business. What morons.

My God. The squeal from the tube must have been louder than the speaker.

Apologies for derailing the OLED thread. I'll eventually start a "Analog Flat Earther" thread when I have a more established point of view.

Why aren't you arguing with Samaron on these points? You didn't see his post on page 1?

samaron wrote:
You can display a high resolution with expansions. The A1200 can do like 1280x1024 on the AGA chipset and custom drivers in OS3.9, but it does run very hot and you then risk corrupted graphics. Anything above 800x600 it is recommended to expand and use a PCI GFX card. You can run it at 1920x1080 then, but it isn't practical in any way. The OS doesn't compensate for it, so the mouse pointer, text and such looks like it is made for ants. The A500 can't do 1080p, the largest it can do is 1024x768 with expansions.

The Commodore branded monitors could do like 640x512 resolution. Late stuff that came in the 90s could do 1024x768.

PostPosted: 27 Jul 2016, 00:44 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

What I were trying to explain were that although the computers can display upwards to full HD with expansions, this wasn't the realistic case back then. The monitors were not designed for it. Keep in mind that these expansions didn't become available until after the 90s. I thought that was self explanatory as almost nothing were HD back then. I apologize if I caused some confusion. The Commodore monitors are really excellent CRTs, I love my 1084S, but they're not HD monitors. I use a modern LCD monitor with my Amiga 1200 because it uses a Voodoo3 graphics card and higher resolutions. HD capable monitors would exist back then, but not something Commodore used.

PostPosted: 27 Jul 2016, 01:44 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Yes. In 1993, if you had a million yen for the display and you lived within broadcast range of NHK you could see HD, analog, on a CRT. Other than overly monied Japanese people not many ever saw HD until Bluray came about, and almost nobody, population-wise, has seen it on a CRT unless it was a 32-bit or better Windows/Mac experience. LCDs began their takeover when people were still watching SD cable and DVD players with composite out.

But we LD fans are not normal, are we? I have a Sony HD CRT from 2004 and even then nearly all of its features are aimed at viewing SD content. BTW, it cost $2500 and weighs 250 lbs but it can't even come close to the 1080 exceeding Commodore displays from the 80s, apparently, since it only does 720p. Not bad for a display that shipped with a A500 and a printer for £700 in 1988 (referencing an old Amiga ad I was looking at just now).

I love those monitors and nothing beat them for closed TV viewing at 13-14". They were cheaper than a decent Sony TV and looked better. They also last DECADES without repair. However they aren't magic. OK, forget that, they pretty much are magic. Displaying what would then be physics bending resolutions for sources that didn't exist however is not one of its magical powers. It's resolution was more or less the same as every other CRT from that time.

PostPosted: 27 Jul 2016, 06:50 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Humm, an multiscanning monitor that had wide enough vertical size controls, and could handle 800x600 and interlacing (needed for 8514 support) would be able to do 1080i - if you had a YUV->RGB conversion box. The 1084S is not one of those monitors. ;)

And 4K OLEDs look quite nice. I was standing too close to an LG 1080 OLED at Best Buy once and the pixels were way too noticable though...

PostPosted: 27 Jul 2016, 07:05 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

You wouldn't notice the pixels if it were only 14". :)

Basically an iPad Pro at 4k. It would look amazing.

PostPosted: 27 Jul 2016, 08:00 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Regarding 1080p OLEDs, at 55" there can be some screen door effect in bright sequences when you're sitting close to the display (like I am). Unless you're watching 4K sources, I'd say the main reason to get a 4K OLED instead of 1080p would just be to get rid of the SDE...

PostPosted: 27 Jul 2016, 12:09 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Ok Samaron and Zeta, I see where you're coming from. It was the best monitor we had back in the day and that friend now works for the top science organisation in my country.

I also have the same TV as you I think Zeta. And both Zeta LD box sets. Can we be friends?

Nissling, I don't think we can ever be friends..

PostPosted: 27 Jul 2016, 15:53 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I have nothing against you but I feel a bit tired of you entering every thread about displays and start hyping CRTs to the sky. It's as if any time someone mentions "cars" in a forum I'd go in and tell them how awesome a Volvo 142 is and that there will never be a stronger, more suitable car for any situation whatsoever.

Now I love Volvo, anything from the ÖV4 to the XC90 has a place in my heart. A fellow of mine has a mint 244 and that's a dream to me. However, if I were to go with my family to the Swedish west coast on vacation, I think I'd rather drive a BMW X3 than a Duett. And trust me I've seen modern families in Stockholm driving around in VW Type2/T1s and while it's a cool vehicle I wouldn't recommend it for everyday driving today. In the same way I also think I'd go for an LG OLED to watch my Blu-Rays on rather than an 80s CRT set by Goldstar.

So please, if you want to praise your CRTs, you're very welcome to start your own threads but stop spamming others' with your nonsense.

PostPosted: 27 Jul 2016, 20:57 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

I really like the picture quality i get on my LED set.
Its a low end Panasonic and at 32 inches i get a great LD image.
It would be great to have a CRT again but i can't imagine it in my living room now, they are super large.

Wonder how VHS or LD would look on one of these OLED sets now.

PostPosted: 27 Jul 2016, 21:41 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I would be glad to be friends.

forper wrote:
Ok Samaron and Zeta, I see where you're coming from. It was the best monitor we had back in the day and that friend now works for the top science organisation in my country.

I also have the same TV as you I think Zeta. And both Zeta LD box sets. Can we be friends?

Nissling, I don't think we can ever be friends..

PostPosted: 27 Jul 2016, 21:43 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

nissling wrote:
I have nothing against you but I feel a bit tired of you entering every thread about displays and start hyping CRTs to the sky. It's as if any time someone mentions "cars" in a forum I'd go in and tell them how awesome a Volvo 142 is and that there will never be a stronger, more suitable car for any situation whatsoever.

Now I love Volvo, anything from the ÖV4 to the XC90 has a place in my heart. A fellow of mine has a mint 244 and that's a dream to me. However, if I were to go with my family to the Swedish west coast on vacation, I think I'd rather drive a BMW X3 than a Duett. And trust me I've seen modern families in Stockholm driving around in VW Type2/T1s and while it's a cool vehicle I wouldn't recommend it for everyday driving today. In the same way I also think I'd go for an LG OLED to watch my Blu-Rays on rather than an 80s CRT set by Goldstar.

So please, if you want to praise your CRTs, you're very welcome to start your own threads but stop spamming others' with your nonsense.

You undermined your entire argument by hypothesizing about the wrong car. The new/old thing is totally valid but SUVs are the devils work. Next time say "5 series" or "Focus". :)

PostPosted: 27 Jul 2016, 23:07 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Oh, you don't like the X3? My twin brother is a car mechanic, specialized with BMW and Mini Cooper, so that's where I've got most of my knowledge from. :P

The BMW 5 series sure is sweet but expensive as all hell, much like anything by BMW. We've got a 318D (built 2014) and it was made for driving. Going on the Swedish highway with it is an experience.

PostPosted: 28 Jul 2016, 00:04 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

nissling wrote:

I don't like Volvo though. Actually I don't even know anything about cars? Never owned one, licence expired 4 years ago.

PostPosted: 28 Jul 2016, 00:04 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

signofzeta wrote:
I would be glad to be friends.

8-)

PostPosted: 28 Jul 2016, 03:01 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

nissling wrote:
Oh, you don't like the X3? My twin brother is a car mechanic, specialized with BMW and Mini Cooper, so that's where I've got most of my knowledge from. :P

The BMW 5 series sure is sweet but expensive as all hell, much like anything by BMW. We've got a 318D (built 2014) and it was made for driving. Going on the Swedish highway with it is an experience.

I hate all SUVs so any BMW with "X" at the beginning of its name is satanic as far as I'm concerned.

I could drive a BMW if I wanted (cars are hella cheap to own in the US compared to where you live) but I'd rather save the extra grand a month and drive a Honda Fit. I have a Miata for fun.

PostPosted: 28 Jul 2016, 20:47 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

signofzeta wrote:
I hate all SUVs so any BMW with "X" at the beginning of its name is satanic as far as I'm concerned.

I could drive a BMW if I wanted (cars are hella cheap to own in the US compared to where you live) but I'd rather save the extra grand a month and drive a Honda Fit. I have a Miata for fun.

"I hate all SUVs so any BMW with "X" at the beginning of its name is satanic as far as I'm concerned." :lol:

The Miata - MX-5 here in the UK - are great wee things & I almost bought one a few years ago, had to forego that though but perhaps someday. It was an early one & was in superb condition (dry stored from new) one owner with only 3000 miles on the clock & every Mazda service slip plus all MOTs etcetera, lovely solid red colour with hardtop included..... really regret missing out on it now. If you don't mind me asking what model/year is yours?

Sorry, this has nothing at all to do with the original OLED thread.

Cheers.

PostPosted: 29 Jul 2016, 00:18 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Mine is a black 92. Here in the US the MX-5 is super popular. You can find blasted out ones for $800 or totally perfect ones with original tires for $20,000. Condition is everything, but unlike other sports cars it won't cost an arm and a leg to restore one either. They aren't rust prone and parts are really cheap.

PostPosted: 31 Jul 2016, 21:44 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

nissling wrote:
For the past few years LG has put down quite some effort in terms of marketing for their line of OLED displays. While OLEDs are favored by some film makers including Francis Ford Coppola, the current models are also considered to be flawed by enthusiasts and video technicians. Now it seems like more companies are interested in getting on the train which is good news indeed although prices may be higher than average for a while considering the difficulties and expenses with production.

So while we're at it, do any of you guys have any experience with OLED? Or any thoughts whatsoever?

Personally I felt like the new B6 series would've been the TV for me but when price dropped on the 55EG910V (European equivalent to 9100) to a mere 13.000 SEK, around 1.500 USD, there wasn't much justifying in paying more than double for a B6 when an equally good or perhaps better display will hopefully be cheaper within the next two years. For this reason I ordered the 910V when I first saw the price drop and less than 12 hours later my old plasma was pretty much out of the house (I gave it to my brother as an early birthday present) and replaced by a TV that I now find being vastly superior. However I'm not without objections but we'll get to that later...

Just to get rid of it all, the blacks are indeed perfect. That is as long as we're walking blacks and not shadow detail. The black levels are at 0.00000nits. There's simply no reflection at all. In other words it's blacker than the blackest plasma so this is one thing that cannot be improved. Here's a picture taken by me of it. I've got a shutter time at 5 seconds, f12 and 100ISO. And yes, the whites are crushed due to the shutter speed.

So if black levels are all that matters for you, an LG OLED is what you should get. However I've never been that much into low blacks to begin with although I'm certainly not complaining on this part. However, I feel like the shadow details easily gets crushed which is indeed an issue. The gamma is probably too aggressive at around 1-3IRE yet lowering it will bring more macroblocking so no matter how you look at it the issue is certainly there more or less at the moment.

As far as uniformity goes, blacks are still perfect. Greys, at circa 5IRE, has some banding but nothing too distracting on my model. I've heard the 920V is worse in this area yet I haven't seen that display myself. Whites do have some slight uniformity issues at test patterns but isn't visible during normal circumstances unless it's a very bright image. The greyscale is tolerable out of the box when ISF mode is selected but thanks to the available settings it may actually have potential to be perfected. As for color temperatures, Warm2 is recommended since it's very close to D65.

Colors are very good and just like on any other LG set we get plenty of settings to play around with. Unlike plasmas there's no dithering or RBE while at the same time we get a color gamut that's clearly superior to any LCD I've seen so far. You get the best of both worlds in other words. Motions are also very good with minimal to no blur. 50p and 60p both look excellent, and 24p is displayed with no major issue. On earlier OLEDs, 24p is reportedly an issue as it's converted to a 3:2 cadence but luckily LG got rid of the issue even on those models with a firmware update.

When it comes to gaming, this is a TV in my taste. When the input is labeled as PC the TV will display the RGB signal properly, leaving out any issues with sub-sampled colors. The XRGB-Mini looks fabulous on this TV, and with proper scanlines the image brings thoughts to the best CRTs without having any of those issues you'd get with one of those. Without looking at the numbers I haven't noticed any kind of latency and I've played Punch Out, Mega Man, Radiant Silvergun and some platform games with no issues whatsoever. The Ps4 also works out excellent with the 910V and gives games like Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, Doom 4 and Until Dawn a brand new look. I like this.

There's no such thing as a perfect display and OLEDs are still in early development stages which is still more or less obvious when using one. However, the pros clearly shows us that LG has genuine interest in making something new for us consumers and there's clearly potential in OLEDs. Lacking shadow detail and banding are still issues with our current OLEDs but I hope we'll see some improvement.

I would also like to notice that while I've so far only been adjusting the TV with my own eyes (and plenty of test patterns of course), I'll have a complete calibration of my TV this upcoming Monday by a man with ISF Certificate. I do indeed have quite some hopes for this as a proper calibration will make a vast difference for those who's got eyes for it. Stay tuned! :)

I hope OLED continues to improve and SONY'S IMPROVED LED CHRYSTAL TECH ............. Than you good read

Page 2 of 3 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next