It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 09:57

Page 2 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: SACD to DAT analogue recording?
PostPosted: 12 Sep 2018, 22:41 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Picky, picky.....

PostPosted: 12 Sep 2018, 23:19 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

substance wrote:
Am I missing the point here? Dat is a lossy Digital format, Sacd is a lossless Digital format in very different fundamentals than the pcm operates. You are converting DSD(Sacd for the unaware) to analog then try to digitize it at the Dat recorder via ancient an adc.

To answer your question, sacds are sampled at 88.2 khz which is beyond what dat can recognize. You need a signal below 24khz on the analog output.

I...don’t think that’s his problem. Are you saying the DAT deck is rejecting audio because...it can’t sync or something? That can’t be right. It’ll just roll off all the stuff it can’t see, in the analog stage even, without it even noticing. Every signal has higher and lower frequencies in it than what can be recorded, at some amplitude anyway. All a DAT deck does is watch the voltage level change and note where it is at its sample rate. As long as it’s line level it should work, with total silence or with white noise or whatever unless they put some wierd filter in there I can’t see the point in.

I’m assuming it’s a blown diode or something. That wasn’t an era for robust inputs on things from my experience...

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2018, 09:59 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Yeah aparantly DAT was garbage for reliablity, I'm finding that out first hand.. definitelly thinking of just going back to good ol tape..like I used in high school..full circle..

but this time I'll do it right, high end decks and metal tapes, good sources, only the best walkmans..but of course this will all backfire as every piece of "refurbished" gear I buy will have problems of course. Murphy sure kicked my a** this year.. :|

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2018, 14:37 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

forper wrote:
Yeah aparantly DAT was garbage for reliablity, I'm finding that out first hand.. definitelly thinking of just going back to good ol tape..like I used in high school..full circle..

but this time I'll do it right, high end decks and metal tapes, good sources, only the best walkmans..but of course this will all backfire as every piece of "refurbished" gear I buy will have problems of course. Murphy sure kicked my a** this year.. :|

Well there's always DCC. :D

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2018, 17:55 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

forper wrote:

If you’re willing to go to cassette then sound quality obviously doesn’t matter one bit to you regardless of all you’ve said. Cassette sucks.

Also, top tier Walkman units are almost always unreliable and nearly impossible to repair. Consider going slightly downmarket if you want something that actually runs. The MZ-E10 was amazing but I don’t know if there is a single running one left on Earth for example so avoid that kind of thing for your own good.

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2018, 23:33 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

forper wrote:
If I had a high end deck and some metal tapes I could apparantly make even better recordings on casette than DAT is capable of from SACD? ie analog to analog..

Tempting to go that route at this point.

Hi MD media is too expensive,

DAT is too unreliable

MD is compressed (but very good considering)

CD walkmans are getting hard to maintain, at least the ones that don't have forced shock protection compression..

Leaves me with good ol tape for that real feel true walkman experience..

Although not portable, you can record great sounding audio w/ VHS and Beta HiFi. :)

I did it for awhile recording LP to VHS HiFi. Might even try it with SACD to test it out. Also, both of my VHS units can easily write index marks as well as "address" marks (assign a numeric code for each track just like CD, LD, DVD, etc.) so I can tell the unit to search for a specific track/chapter.

PostPosted: 14 Sep 2018, 09:06 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

signofzeta wrote:
forper wrote:

If you’re willing to go to cassette then sound quality obviously doesn’t matter one bit to you regardless of all you’ve said. Cassette sucks.

From what I've been reading apparantly SACD to metal tape on a decent 3 head deck with Dolby S noise reduction (hiss killer) produces excellent results, better than to DAT.

Quote:
Also, top tier Walkman units are almost always unreliable and nearly impossible to repair. Consider going slightly downmarket if you want something that actually runs. The MZ-E10 was amazing but I don’t know if there is a single running one left on Earth for example so avoid that kind of thing for your own good.

I bought an E10 when it came out, amazing looking unit, good sound for sure and you can add mine to the pile of dead units. haha. it might be just that the internal battery is dead tho? Have to check that out one day. Not really interested in MD though, in the end it's compressed, no matter how well..

PostPosted: 14 Sep 2018, 21:56 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Everything is compressed. Every format loses something, no matter what the specs say. People looking for “perfect reproduction” or whatever are hopelessly lost. There’s no such thing in audio.

PostPosted: 16 Sep 2018, 02:14 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

signofzeta wrote:
Everything is compressed. Every format loses something, no matter what the specs say. People looking for “perfect reproduction” or whatever are hopelessly lost. There’s no such thing in audio.

yeah but a PCM bitstream perfectly reproduced for portable listening is better than an ATRAC interpretation. There are degrees of imperfection. I'd prefer to have a lower degree of imperfection rather than a higher one. And a backlit LED remote on my cable..

PostPosted: 10 Oct 2018, 05:14 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Well have been back to carrying MD for a while now while I wait for all my cassette stuff to arrive. Today listening to a dub of the audio from my Fumiya Fujii FFF live at Budokan disc. I love not having to mess around with software to get excellent quality results like I have with this recording. Excellent.

and that remote, just a perfect (well actually HiMD was really the only perfect portable) portable audio experience to me..

PostPosted: 10 Oct 2018, 20:35 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

If you want a good portable audio-recorder, I can recommend : https://pro.sony/ue_US/products/portable-digital-recorders/pcm-d100

Look at the specifics, you will like it and yes it has also regular optical in / out so you can easily connect it home - unless you want to connect it analogue = also possible ...

Good luck ...

PostPosted: 11 Oct 2018, 10:22 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

what a goofy looking machine..looks like something a journalist would carry. Boring.

Just got my new WM-EX9 yersterday :cool:

Page 2 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2