It is currently 17 Jan 2019, 09:46

Page 10 of 10 [ 193 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
 Post subject: Re: What was the last Product you bought? (Except Laserdisc)
PostPosted: 30 Nov 2018, 09:23 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

When I went to High School High in the '90s we had about 4 RPTVs of similar vintage. Even then they looked REALLY old. Cool find!

PostPosted: 30 Nov 2018, 17:56 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

got a stack of Anime on DVD and BRD coming, thanks to that terrific SENTAI FILMWORKS BLACK FRIDAY sale;

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Angelic Layer Complete Collection
Blu-ray $13.99
Tamako Market Complete Collection
Blu-ray $9.99
Princess Tutu Complete Collection
DVD $3.99
Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi Complete Collection
DVD $3.99
Jewel Bem Hunter Lime Complete Collection
DVD $1.99
Someday's Dreamers II Sora Complete Collection
DVD $9.98
Someday's Dreamers Complete Collection
DVD $9.98
Sakura Wars Complete Collection (Sentai Selects)
DVD $2.99
Welcome to Pia Carrot! 2 DX Complete Collection
DVD $7.99
Utawarerumono OVA Series
Blu-ray $5.99
Utawarerumono -The False Faces- Complete Collection
Blu-ray $13.99
To Heart 2 Complete Collection
Blu-ray $15.99
Di Gi Charat: Original Series Complete Collection
DVD $1.99
Di Gi Charat OVA Collection
DVD $1.99
Hanaukyo Maid Team: La Verite Complete Collection
DVD $4.99

and this gorgeous beauty, iconic to any MACROSS/ROBOTECH fan, and in large, perfect-transformation 1/48 scale,
will be on it's way to me soon as it is released on DEC. 29;

[Reveal] Spoiler:

PostPosted: 30 Nov 2018, 18:40 
True fan
True fan

I got my second Sentai sale order today. Well, most of it, a couple back-ordered items again. Since most of it arrived it was enough to finally shelve everything.

PostPosted: 03 Dec 2018, 17:40 
True fan
True fan

PostPosted: 06 Jan 2019, 11:56 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Well, I got a nice Kenwood KX-880 HX tape deck in very good condition ( looks as it was barely or never used ) for 16 € from a local seller here in Berlin. It is a really good 2 head tape deck and I have only heard good things about it.

I thought it would be fun to try a tape deck after 25+ years as I had heard from various people that tapes sound considerably better than the general opinion would indicate. I then tried some prerecorded tapes from the 90s and I thought they didn't sound too bad but something was missing. But at least it sounded very stable, no dropouts, np sudden channel imbalance etc. But it wasn't CD quality, that's for sure.
I then got a prerecorded cassette that has the digalog logo on it as I had heard and read that those were manufactured using an entirely different method using a digital bin instead of an analogue one. The tape I got was one from Natalie Cole ( jazz ) and I am very impressed with how it sounds. I thought it didn't sound any worse than a good CD. And the tape is 28 years old. It sounded much better than the other prerecorded cassettes and I think I am going to buy more of those because they really sound great and make a nice addition to my audio collection as they are really small, too. For their size they sound incredibly good.
I also bought some high quality NOS blank tapes incl. a metal tape by Taiyo Yuden and after making some test recordings I can say it sounds excellent. I copied some tracks off vinyl to one of the cassettes and I think it sounds really nice. Copying a FLAC file to one of the tapes, I didn't hear any difference in sound quality. Yes, it has some tape hiss but it is barely noticeable. I think it is a wonderful idea of creating your own mixtapes. I now wish to make mixtapes of Japanese music from the 80s and 90s and some classical Japanese music, too. For this purpose I am going to try to find the music in the best quality available.
I also got a new Maxell UR tape which is like 1 € in my country and those are really good, too. In fact, they are very good and I haven't heard a single bad thing about them.

So using a decent blank tape on a decent tape deck can yield very good results. Anyone claiming cassettes sound terrible obviously have no idea. Same with the people who keep claiming that CDs are so superior to vinyl records whereas they have probably never heard a record using a good cartridge and preamp. Even Peter Gabriel has recently said that he does not hear a difference between the master tapes and the new 45 RPM rereleases of his previous albums. Analogue audio rules. Period.

Pioneer CLD-D925 for PAL discs.

PostPosted: 07 Jan 2019, 00:46 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Nice, I got a Sony KA5ES deck and WM-EX9 walkman at the end of last year. I haven't had time to play with it properly but yes the few tests I've made from SACD are promising. There is a bit of a problem with saturation and finding the right record level (a lot easier to do on a 3 head deck like the KA5. )

It's part of my quest for ideal portable audio. from a Sony tape walkman in the early '90s to MD in the late 90s to an ipod to discman to Hi-MD to DAT walkman and I've now gone full circle back to what I had as a teenager, a Sony tape walkman haha. Although a far superior one to what I had then..

I remember a Vietnamese guy I sat next to in science class had one of the early AIWA walkmans with remote circa 1994, those were so futuristic then..although ugly..

PostPosted: 07 Jan 2019, 01:51 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Also Confederate, I recommend tapeheads forums, although like here some people prefer spec sheets to actual experiences. Here's the thread I started when I got my setup late last year, you might find it useful?:

http://www.tapeheads.net/showthread.php?t=68904

PostPosted: 07 Jan 2019, 02:39 
Jedi Initiate
Jedi Initiate

I bought the audioquest nightowl carbon headphones for work. I already have the nighthawk carbons which are semi open back that can be too loud in the office. I have these hooked up to my ipod classic running 24/7 for 4 days now. I will run them for another 2 days before any critical listening. A proper break in is a must for headphones. They sounded so ugly at first but really opened up after the first 50 hours of break in. I generally do 200 hour break in on all my devices.

I also ordered the Mcintosh MHA50 portable headphone amp about a year ago and it’s finally available. My dealer told me it will be ready for pick up by Tuesday. So far I have been using the audioquest dragonfly red but it takes a lot to make it sound good. I hope the Mcintosh MHA50 + Nightowl Carbon combo will be a good one.

PostPosted: 07 Jan 2019, 04:54 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

substance wrote:
I bought the audioquest nightowl carbon headphones for work. I already have the nighthawk carbons which are semi open back that can be too loud in the office. I have these hooked up to my ipod classic running 24/7 for 4 days now. I will run them for another 2 days before any critical listening. A proper break in is a must for headphones. They sounded so ugly at first but really opened up after the first 50 hours of break in. I generally do 200 hour break in on all my devices.

I also ordered the Mcintosh MHA50 portable headphone amp about a year ago and it’s finally available. My dealer told me it will be ready for pick up by Tuesday. So far I have been using the audioquest dragonfly red but it takes a lot to make it sound good. I hope the Mcintosh MHA50 + Nightowl Carbon combo will be a good one.

Sounds cool but will they get you surround sound ?

PostPosted: 07 Jan 2019, 05:05 
True fan
True fan

rein-o wrote:
substance wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: 07 Jan 2019, 05:10 
Jedi Initiate
Jedi Initiate

rein-o wrote:
substance wrote:

No rf demodulator yet.

PostPosted: 07 Jan 2019, 11:17 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

forper wrote:
Also Confederate, I recommend tapeheads forums, although like here some people prefer spec sheets to actual experiences. Here's the thread I started when I got my setup late last year, you might find it useful?:

http://www.tapeheads.net/showthread.php?t=68904

Cool. I am there, too, however with a different nick as they wouldn't allow me to register with my usual nick due to political correctness. I am just a Civil War buff and not a white supremacist. Quite the contrary.

I got some great help there. People are really knowledgeable. I got a really good tape deck. It good superb reviews back in the 80s and is considered to be one of the very best 2 head tape decks at that time. Some people say it is not any worse than the Nakamichi two head tape decks from that period. I recently found a scan from a German magazine from the late 80s where this tape decks got 4 out of 5 points and there were only a few tape decks that got 5 out of 5 but they were super expensive such as the Nakamichi Dragon. I just need to learn how to calibrate the f***er properly. I got some nice tapes including a type IV tape. But even with a cheap Maxell UR tape you can get already get very good results. I made some test recordings and apart from the tape hiss in very quiet parts I do not hear a difference. Vinyl and hires sound good, too. I guess I also need to buy a device to demagnetise the heads in regular intervals.

Pioneer CLD-D925 for PAL discs.

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2019, 00:16 
True fan
True fan

Just picked up this for about €60 shipped. Despite Playmates' efforts to correct the inaccurate sculpt compared to the original First Contact version, this is still quite far off from being 1:1.

This thing used to command top dollar like the Voyager, but I guess the several releases by DST changed that.

Page 10 of 10 [ 193 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10