It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 14:33

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: The Immortals (2011) bluray on loan
PostPosted: 01 Sep 2012, 23:22 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

My close friend and his eldest son, came around tonight to see how I am and wanted to know if I have seen The Immortals? I said, I've heard about is it like Clash of of the Titans? - "yeah kinder like that".

So they rushed back home and was back in 5mins while I turned sound system and projector ON.

I don't really like playing new films not without rehearsing it to see what the film mix is like in terms of dynamics and frequency response.

The dynamics and frequency response is insanely HIGH and while the film was playing I noticed some lows and other lows seemed to go past as they were so infersonic and outside hearing range at normal levels.

My amps for LF LCR was worrying me as they were lighting up far too high but the DCX2496 had some audio limiting applied to prevent bottoming and the crossover was set around 62Hz after seeing high it was going even at 50Hz.

The Puck in my seat doesn't seem to be working as good it was pushed hard but started to rattle the seat bucket so I'm going to remove it from the foam, take all the foam out and re-think it. Its okay in the other seats my friend had smug look on his face and said "its a vibrating seat". :mrgreen:

Pictures and some waterfalls coming later tonight.

So as the film mix went I was a little disappointed and I need to re-tune the frequency to get the best out of it as possible.

The film was mixed at Wildfire Studios funded by Re-recording Mixers Chris David and Leslie Shatz.
http://wildfirepost.com/pages/about-12/

I thought films were standardized to the X-curve and this goes way outside that on the lows when I quickly wired up the Subwoofer output for LFE.1 to the pc while film was playing to check how far down it was going on that channel alone.

LCR and surround was also going down very low, I could sense it and see it on the amps, so I have to check LCRS on Spectrum Lab to see ware my sound system stands with this film.

Dialouge track was clearly understood against the competition of left/right fronts and stereo surrounds enveloped all-around the (set in EX mode).

Picture was a bit dark on some daylight scenes but that's the DP, imaging detail in 1080i was good as to were colours nicely textured.

Post subject: Re: The Immortals (2011) bluray on loan
PostPosted: 02 Sep 2012, 04:16 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

i just watched it on instant watch, i think the entire film is way too dark, but that's i believe how it was shot.
cool film, worth watching again!

PostPosted: 02 Sep 2012, 07:19 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

rein-o wrote:
i just watched it on instant watch, i think the entire film is way too dark, but that's i believe how it was shot.
cool film, worth watching again!

Its had 5 showings since my friends left last night but mostly quiet as I'm trying to solve a few snags.

It is darkly shot as my friend started moaning about how it looked on the projector. No doubt when he picks up it a few days and watches it again he should see it looking somewhat like what he saw first time around, maybe?

When that Poseidon guy nose dives down to the ocean DAMN! The impact over LCR and LFE.1 is TURN IT DOWN! Its insanely low. :mrgreen: :thumbup:

PostPosted: 02 Sep 2012, 17:08 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

i bet, when i was watching it on instant the sound out of my TV speakers was total garbage.
so i had to turn on my amp and listen through my 2 channel speakers.
sounded great, i was happy and fine with it, but i'm sure it sounded great with all the speakers. :D

PostPosted: 03 Sep 2012, 02:54 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

rein-o wrote:
i bet, when i was watching it on instant the sound out of my TV speakers was total garbage.
so i had to turn on my amp and listen through my 2 channel speakers.
sounded great, i was happy and fine with it, but i'm sure it sounded great with all the speakers. :D

I don't know about InstantTV for all I know it might use compression on the audio?

PostPosted: 03 Sep 2012, 04:36 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

oh, it is compressed with picture and audio, but it did sound better going through my speakers compared
to the TV speakers.

if i like the film then i get it on DVD or LD, but it gives you a chance to see the film first then decide.

it's worth the risk :lol:

PostPosted: 03 Sep 2012, 04:45 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

rein-o wrote:
oh, it is compressed with picture and audio, but it did sound better going through my speakers compared
to the TV speakers.

if i like the film then i get it on DVD or LD, but it gives you a chance to see the film first then decide.

it's worth the risk :lol:

Not what I meant. Some TV station networks use compression that has kinder pumping effect when loud peaks come across in the mix. It could happen in a spoken dialouge moment or some sound effects and music.

You'd have to research it yourself to find out of the provider uses compression or doesn't?

I think they use it to prevent the Risk of damaging the loudspeakers in those tiny TV sets. But when its TV ad time, they seem to ether switch it off and the ad IS IN YOUR FACE! Hence everyone reaches for remote and turns it down. But a bill a few last year was passed, not that it bothers me I'm fast on the fader if TV audio was passing though my AVR which its not I don't listen to TV or films on the sound system I watch them on Sony flat screen and I can noticed the compression on recent films like STARGATE.

PostPosted: 03 Sep 2012, 05:21 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

yes, i know what your talking about.
on instant watch it's all the same level, sometimes loud or low.
it's not louder on explosions or anything special.

i have had the issue you are talking about on live TV but so far not instant

PostPosted: 03 Sep 2012, 06:16 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

rein-o wrote:
yes, i know what your talking about.
on instant watch it's all the same level, sometimes loud or low.
it's not louder on explosions or anything special.

i have had the issue you are talking about on live TV but so far not instant

Maybe they have changed the way they broadcast the audio?

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ]