It is currently 03 May 2024, 03:59

Page 2 of 3 [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: Sega Saturn
PostPosted: 24 Feb 2013, 21:11 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

If you couldn't find a good game to play on the Dreamcast then you just have terrible taste. The US launch of the DC is almost certainly the best launch software selection in the history of video games. They killed it after two years because they were going broke and had to make exclusivity deals with other companies to stay alive. This is actually the most impressive thing about the DC: that they had such an amazing software lineup in such a short span of time. By contrast I'm not sure there is a single game from the first year of the PS2 that anyone would actually want to play now. It took a looooog time for the PS2 to get up to speed.

Soul Calibur
Marvel Vs Capcom 1&2
Power Stone
The 2K series of sports games
Sakura Wars 3 and 4 (as well as mildly upgraded versions of 1&2)
Rez
Shenmue 1&2
Ikaruga
Mars Matrix
Sega GT
Typing of the Dead
Cosmic Smash
Crazy Taxi 1&2
Ferrari F355
Phantasy Star Online
Test Drive LeMans
Tech Romancer
Sega Rally 2
All three Street Fighter IIIs
Street Fighter Alpha 3
Capcom Vs SNK 2
Dead or Alive 2
Virtua On: Oratorio Tangram
Skies of Arcadia
Jet Set Radio
Charge and Blast
Chu Chu Rocket

I didn't list the games other people like but I don't care about. All of these games are very much loved and only represent a small portion of what's out there. The DC also had VGA output and very rarely broke down (as opposed to the PS2, which was by far the most breakdown prone machine of all time until the XBox 360). I totally agree that the controller sucks, but there are alternatives. I mainly use an adaptor so I can use the fighting sticks and Twinstick stuff from the Saturn.

Btw, your obsession with sales what what other people like is kind if disturbing. Who cares if other people bought something? How did such a conformist end up collecting LD in 2013?

You must REALLY think the Neo Geo sucks...:)

...and Terry Gilliam for that matter. He's kind of the Sega of movie directors...

Basiclly, you shouldn't make such strong statements about things you don't have any understanding of. Sega is a very charismatic company and has a lot of fans. If you didn't like your Dreamcast that's fine, but you sound like a guy who sold his LD player after owning two movies because he didn't want to flip discs anymore and he didn't want to invest in a loser format. That's...exactly what you sound like.

Last edited by signofzeta on 24 Feb 2013, 21:14, edited 1 time in total. _________________
All about LD care, inner sleeves, shrink wrap, etc.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 24 Feb 2013, 21:12 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

naiaru wrote:

Most people are perfectly happy with DVD and couldn't care less to move to Blu-ray. I hope you wouldn't try to argue that DVD is thus better.

That has nothing to do with what I said. The difference between 480i/480p is minimal at best, both are still SD and at the time of the Dreamcast's release, most TV's were still only 480i, 480p CRT's didn't come around until HD so I'm sure not many had one. It wouldn't make since for gamers to look at the difference between 480i/480p at that time as a reason for choosing a console. When the Xbox/PS3/Wii were released, yes it could be because HD was being widely released and many gamers would have upgraded their sets by 2006. So not wanting to purchase a Wii because it's not HD would be a factor. It's more likely catalog, availability of system, and current Sega owners bought Dreamcasts, most likely the latter two.

PostPosted: 24 Feb 2013, 21:17 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

All the Capcom titles you listed were on PS2 or PSone, not Sega exclusive. I think I have all of them either on PS1/or2. As for sales or performance references, it just goes to how well they launched, developed and supported the system. I'm not the only one who felt betrayed by Sega, and since it's a Sega thread, I'll post what I like.

PostPosted: 24 Feb 2013, 21:26 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

tomtastic wrote:
All the Capcom titles you listed were on PS2 or PSone, not Sega exclusive. I think I have all of them either on PS1/or2. As for sales or performance references, it just goes to how well they launched, developed and supported the system. I'm not the only one who felt betrayed by Sega, and since it's a Sega thread, I'll post what I like.

It's actually a Sega Saturn thread. You opened Pandora's Box when you brought up the Dreamcast just to belittle it.

PostPosted: 24 Feb 2013, 21:34 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

elahrairrah wrote:
tomtastic wrote:

It's actually a Sega Saturn thread. You opened Pandora's Box when you brought up the Dreamcast just to belittle it.

Yes, it was more of a side note on my experience with Sega systems and my short dealings with modded systems (PS2). Not really meant to start a tangent, but someone felt like attacking my position on my dealings with Sega, so only felt the need to provide supported statements to backup my claim, which is definitely not exclusive to me.

Not sure why some feel insecure with a little criticism in the part of Sega as a company, if you were a true and dedicated fan of Sega it should be old news anyway. If you want to talk about how great a product was, why be limited to only positive responses when that is certainly never the case with anything.

PostPosted: 24 Feb 2013, 21:39 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

tomtastic wrote:
naiaru wrote:

Most people are perfectly happy with DVD and couldn't care less to move to Blu-ray. I hope you wouldn't try to argue that DVD is thus better.

That has nothing to do with what I said. The difference between 480i/480p is minimal at best, both are still SD and at the time of the Dreamcast's release, most TV's were still only 480i, 480p CRT's didn't come around until HD so I'm sure not many had one. It wouldn't make since for gamers to look at the difference between 480i/480p at that time as a reason for choosing a console. When the Xbox/PS3/Wii were released, yes it could be because HD was being widely released and many gamers would have upgraded their sets by 2006. So not wanting to purchase a Wii because it's not HD would be a factor. It's more likely catalog, availability of system, and current Sega owners bought Dreamcasts, most likely the latter two.

No, 480p isn't SD, it's ED. And yes, just like you don't see the difference between 480i and 480p, a lot of people don't see the difference between 480i and 720/1080p/i.
Actually at the time the VGA box was advertised for use with a computer monitor.

tomtastic wrote:

PS1?? You're counting a port of a sixth gen game to a fifth gen console? There's Halo 2600 for Atari. I guess Halo isn't Xbox exclusive anymore.

tomtastic wrote:
elahrairrah wrote:
tomtastic wrote:

Yes, it was more of a side note on my experience with Sega systems and my short dealings with modded systems (PS2). Not really meant to start a tangent, but someone felt like attacking my position on my dealings with Sega, so only felt the need to provide supported statements to backup my claim, which is definitely not exclusive to me.

Not sure why some feel insecure with a little criticism in the part of Sega as a company, if you were a true and dedicated fan of Sega it should be old news anyway. If you want to talk about how great a product was, why be limited to only positive responses when that is certainly never the case with anything.

You come into a thread for the Sega Saturn, attack the Dreamcast, and somehow we're in the wrong? I don't go into Gamecube threads and say "The Wii is a joke. I love the Xbox."

And whether you like the controller or not is definitely completely a matter of opinion, but the Dreamcast is one of my favorite controllers for using a joystick, and I grew up with Nintendo consoles, so this isn't just nostalgia speaking.

PostPosted: 24 Feb 2013, 22:17 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Street Fighter Alpha 3 was ported to the PS1 before DC or Saturn in 1998, Marvel Vs. Capcom 1 was released in Jan 2000 almost a year after Dreamcast, still not exactly exclusive and still while Dreamcast was alive, those were the only 2 I notice in your list on PS1.

Nobody said you were in the wrong only that people are entitled to their opinions even if they're not held in the same light you seem to hold them. If you like Sega systems it doesn't offend me, neither should it offend you if someone else doesn't. I voiced my opinion on modded console systems because this thread is about modded systems, it's also about Sega. Not everyone feels the same way about Sega as you, it's a matter of fact. The Dreamcast had a very similar fate as the Saturn, and since it's the only Sega system I've owned, that was my post on the matter, my subsequent posts were merely rebuttal of my position on Sega, which I never cared to voice, accept what I consider to be the best consoles released. There's no "attack" here, it's just personal experiences.

I don't care to debate it anymore, you seem to take it personal that someone would dare come into this thread and threaten the Holy light that Sega has cast. I actually like classic gaming and even some Sega titles, I don't think I'd revisit buying the consoles though. Easier to just buy the later HD re releases and much cheaper getting higher resolution than buying scalers and CRT's.

PostPosted: 24 Feb 2013, 22:37 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

tomtastic wrote:
Street Fighter Alpha 3 was ported to the PS1 before DC or Saturn in 1998.

Out of those, which port is best? If you say PS1, you're just trolling.

PostPosted: 24 Feb 2013, 22:59 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

elahrairrah wrote:
tomtastic wrote:

I never had it on Dreamcast so I can't say personally. I've read some of Capcom's Dreamcast/Saturn versions had extra memory which gave them better graphics. As far as Street Fighter, I prefer Street Fighter 2. No Turbo, Alpha or anything else, just plain SF 2, after that I think they just got worse in game play.

Marvel Vs. Capcom 1 was a downgraded version compared to the Dreamcast's, but of course the PS1 was 5 years old at that point. I've come close to buying it a few times, but it goes for 60+ now. It's available now in HD on PSN so I'll probably just go that route. I have Marvel Vs. Capcom 2 for PS2, which I love, released after Dreamcast's exclusivity, of course it's available now on PSN, with online multiplayer.

PostPosted: 24 Feb 2013, 23:04 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

tomtastic wrote:
Nobody said you were in the wrong only that people are entitled to their opinions even if they're not held in the same light you seem to hold them. If you like Sega systems it doesn't offend me, neither should it offend you if someone else doesn't. I voiced my opinion on modded console systems because this thread is about modded systems, it's also about Sega. Not everyone feels the same way about Sega as you, it's a matter of fact. The Dreamcast had a very similar fate as the Saturn, and since it's the only Sega system I've owned, that was my post on the matter, my subsequent posts were merely rebuttal of my position on Sega, which I never cared to voice, accept what I consider to be the best consoles released. There's no "attack" here, it's just personal experiences.

First of all, it is clearly a Sega Saturn thread. It's the title for God's sake. Also, you're talking out of both sides of your mouth. You JUST said we attacked you, and now you're saying there was no attack?

Secondly, let's not play semantics, you said:
tomtastic wrote:

You claimed we attacked you. Clearly that would suggest that we were "in the wrong." You called the system that one could clearly assume we liked based on the subject matter a "joke," you didn't just say "oh yeah, I didn't really like the console because I'm more of a Sony fan." You just flat out insulted it. Let's put it another way, you know how you felt insulted after I parodied your post (or "attack" as you call it, whatever)? That's how we felt about your initial post.

tomtastic wrote:
I don't care to debate it anymore, you seem to take it personal that someone would dare come into this thread and threaten the Holy light that Sega has cast. I actually like classic gaming and even some Sega titles, I don't think I'd revisit buying the consoles though. Easier to just buy the later HD re releases and much cheaper getting higher resolution than buying scalers and CRT's.

No, it's just insulting that someone would come into this thread just to flame. You can make a Playstation thread if you want. I won't go there and s**t on the PS2.

PostPosted: 24 Feb 2013, 23:43 
True fan
True fan

BACK TO SEGA SATURN. If you're going to jump on board the Saturn train, you gotta pick up or "acquire" Shining Force 3, and all three Panzer Dragoon games. They will change the way you view classic gaming.

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2013, 00:04 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Location: Manassas, VA/Northern Virginia/DC Metro/United States
flcl4evr wrote:
BACK TO SEGA SATURN. If you're going to jump on board the Saturn train, you gotta pick up or "acquire" Shining Force 3, and all three Panzer Dragoon games. They will change the way you view classic gaming.

I'm not going to complain about getting off topic, I do it all the time. Hell, we could start talking Nintendo if everyone wanted. But a lot of it is just...let's not get in a flame war over it. Everything had it's advantages and disadvantages...it's all in how it worked for you as whatever type of gamer you are.

That being said; I never really played with a console for very long during it's life span...except maybe XBox. I remember having more than 2 years of gaming out of it.

Panzer Dragoon is on the list. Right now I've been hooked on NBA Jam TE and Madden '98. Although as soon as a get an action replay cart; it's Metal Slug time!

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2013, 02:51 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

elahrairrah wrote:
tomtastic wrote:

The three different versions of SFA3 are so divergent they all have their fans. They are all good, IMO. The Saturn is closest to the arcade. The PS ver is basically an evolved version of the arcade and the DC one is a further evolved version of the PS version. I'm a much bigger fan of SFA2, but that didn't get a truly great home port until the PS2 Street Fighter Alpha Anthology (years after the DC was dead).

As for other Capcom/SNK fighters, no, they were not all on Playstation, not at the time anyway. While MvC2, CvS2, and other Naomi-based arcade games did eventually make it to PS2, they did so after the DC was killed so its kind of irrelevant. MvC1 on PS1 is...a cruel joke. Street Fighter III was never on PS1 or Saturn and only hit PS2 and Xbox quite a while after the DC version.

The only Capcom fighter on PS1 that isn't pathetic is SFA3. The others are pretty sad. The only SNK fighter on PS1 that is decent is KOF 95. By the time they got to 98...man, it was baaaad.

So, if you have come unstuck in time I guess you could say "Why buy a DC for Street Fighter III when its so much better and cheaper on PS3" but for those living in the here and now it was DC or nothing.

All of this doesn't matter if you don't care about ports fighters, but I really really do and I cared a lot more back then than I do now. Now I just have a supergun so I don't give a crap about ports anymore. :)

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2013, 04:10 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

The Saturn version had one mode that the others didn't that made it better in my opinion: Reverse Dramatic Battle Mode with different characters. You wanted to really test your skills? Try fighting a team of two other fighters. The PS1 version just had a mirror dramatic battle mode because it didn't have enough memory.

The Dreamcast version rocked because it was in 480p (so long as you had a VGA convertor) and had 3-player Dramatic Battle Mode.

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2013, 05:02 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Honesty I don't think CPS2 games look anywhere near as good at 480p as they do with scanlines.

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2013, 07:16 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

naiaru wrote:
First of all, it is clearly a Sega Saturn thread. It's the title for God's sake. Also, you're talking out of both sides of your mouth. You JUST said we attacked you, and now you're saying there was no attack?

I never said you attacked me, nor did I feel attacked. I believe in my previous post I was referencing the statement: "You come into a thread for the Sega Saturn, attack the Dreamcast, and somehow we're in the wrong? I don't go into Gamecube threads and say "The Wii is a joke. I love the Xbox."

I never said I was attacked personally, maybe attacking my position on Sega, I think is what I said, but certainly not that I would be offended by it. If someone loves Sega and I don't, it makes no difference and doesn't change my position.

And as for the thread itself, this is in the everything thread, incase you didn't notice, and I'm not the first in this very thread or other threads to comment on other related techs, not specifically about the Saturn or whatever the thread is particularly about. The fact is most threads veer towards subject matter that isn't about the title, because it has relevant subject matter. If you don't find it useful, disagree or ignore it. This tangent would have never gone on if some could simply accept that other people have different opinions, but if someone wants to claim I don't have the right to say the Dreamcast was a joke, I beg to differ. The Dreamcast was a big chunk of change back then, and with it's short lifespan and games like NFL2K, we simply laughed at it and waited for the PS2 to become available and yes, I thought it was a joke then and now.

Quote:
Clearly that would suggest that we were "in the wrong." You called the system that one could clearly assume we liked based on the subject matter a "joke," you didn't just say "oh yeah, I didn't really like the console because I'm more of a Sony fan." You just flat out insulted it. Let's put it another way, you know how you felt insulted after I parodied your post (or "attack" as you call it, whatever)? That's how we felt about your initial post.

Why would my opinion on Sega mean you are in the wrong? Do you feel you're in the wrong? I didn't feel attacked by your parodied post on PS2, that's your opinion on the system, it doesn't attack me in any way. I just point out facts like PS2 is the best selling console of all time, which I can do. I call the Dreamcast a joke, quite possibly so do 6-8 million other people at that time that learned in early 2001 that the Dreamcast was going 3rd party. If you're insulted by that, I think you're really taking that personal. Or am I insulting the game system? It's a game system, I don't think it's going to care one way or the other.

naiaru wrote:
No, it's just insulting that someone would come into this thread just to flame. You can make a Playstation thread if you want. I won't go there and s**t on the PS2.

The only flaming is coming from you which you appear to not respect other people's opinions and again, I'm getting this feeling that you feel attacked, claiming that you're insulted. As I said before, not everyone has good feelings towards Sega. It doesn't mean that those opinions are personal attacks against you. There's some very insecure people here. Have you never had someone disagree with you?

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2013, 07:40 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

tomtastic wrote:
we simply laughed at it and waited for the PS2 to become available and yes, I thought it was a joke then and now.

That's exactly what I was saying you were doing. You came into a thread of Sega fans to mock a Sega console. Don't pretend like you just quietly voiced a dissenting opinion. If you had said "Yeah, but I didn't really like the Dreamcast because I'm more of a Playstation fan," nobody would've been insulted. It's the fact that you were a jerk about it that pisses people off. Calling a console we all clearly like a joke is a s****y thing to do. If you just wanted to say you didn't like the Dreamcast, there are polite ways of saying it, but you chose not to. You're flaming.

tomtastic wrote:
Why would my opinion on Sega mean you are in the wrong? Do you feel you're in the wrong?

Don't twist my words around. That's not what I said. Again, flaming.

tomtastic wrote:
I just point out facts like PS2 is the best selling console of all time, which I can do. I call the Dreamcast a joke, quite possibly so do 6-8 million other people at that time that learned in early 2001 that the Dreamcast was going 3rd party. If you're insulted by that, I think you're really taking that personal. Or am I insulting the game system? It's a game system, I don't think it's going to care one way or the other.

The Dreamcast is a "joke" because a bunch of people "must" think so?
See: bandwagon appeal

(Remember you're on a forum about LaserDisc arguing that if a bunch of people think it, it must be right.)

tomtastic wrote:
The only flaming is coming from you which you appear to not respect other people's opinions and again, I'm getting this feeling that you feel attacked, claiming that you're insulted. As I said before, not everyone has good feelings towards Sega. It doesn't mean that those opinions are personal attacks against you. There's some very insecure people here.

It's weird having a troll tell me about respect, like I'm in the Twilight Zone or something.

tomtastic wrote:
Have you never had someone disagree with you?

And have you ever heard that there's a time and a place for everything? A thread about the Sega Saturn made up of Sega hardware fans is not the time nor the place to mock Sega hardware, unless you're trolling, of course.

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2013, 08:05 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

So you're really offended by the fact I called the Dreamcast a joke? Wow. It must not take much to p**s you off. I rest my case.

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2013, 08:07 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

tomtastic wrote:
So you're really offended by the fact I called the Dreamcast a joke? Wow. It must not take much to p**s you off. I rest my case.

Wow, you're really offended by the fact that I parodied your asinine "comment"? You can't handle a parody? You must get pissed off easily. I'd rest my case if saying such a thing in this situation made any sense.

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2013, 08:26 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

naiaru wrote:
tomtastic wrote:

Wow, you're really offended by the fact that I parodied your asinine "comment"? You can't handle a parody? You must get pissed off easily. I'd rest my case if saying such a thing in this situation made any sense.

My response to your parody was "Was there another system out at the time above 480i? I don't remember one. PS2 is the best selling console of all time and still has the most titles for a console." It's a question followed by a fact, I don't read any reaction to your parody at all in that nor do I find it offensive. If you actually believe that, it is your opinion and you're welcome to post it. I'm not going to make judgements that you can't or shouldn't.

Page 2 of 3 [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next