It is currently 02 May 2024, 21:52

Page 2 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Odd problem with a brand new LP
PostPosted: 13 Mar 2013, 18:22 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

elahrairrah wrote:
Well, since we're talking about LPs I might as well bring this up.

Picked up Big Fun by Shalamar on vinyl for $1 at a record store. Played the great song "Second Time Around" on my Ion turntable (even though it has USB connectivity so I can rip LPs to my computer, I never use it--only lets me capture songs as MP3s, so I use my capture card instead to capture songs as lossless WAVs) and it sounded slightly sped up. Not as bad as if you played a 33-1/3 speed LP at 45 RPMs, but still noticeably faster.

Can't be a problem with the turntable as none of my other LPs have this issue.

Anyone else have this on vinyl and notice this problem?

Well, assuming your computer is making the files correctly and you're a big enough Shalamar fan to know what's going on then its a defective pressing. However, if this one is too fast that every single one made by that stamper and all stampers made from the master are exactly the same way so it would be a very well documented issue.

Records aren't an exact science, but they are an EXTREMELY simple one. If its fast and the TT is spinning the correct speed then the record is defective. It goes around. At 33-1/3. It hit the same spot in the song with the exact same frequency every time.

Of course this another situation where a "real" turntable would be helpful. Belt driven decks are, more or less, incapable of playing at the wrong pitch due to the way they are designed and most direct drive decks have strobes on them for minute adjustment/verification. An Ion USB deck...just kind of leaves you in the dark.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 13 Mar 2013, 18:32 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

hippiedalek wrote:
Hey, sorry I've not updated on this yet. I wasn't able to try out the record on my friend's player on Monday but I will be able to tomorrow night so hopefully I'll get some answers. If it doesn't play on his turntable then it's definitely another duff record so I'll take it back to the shop (again) and get them to play it on their turntable. If it does play fine then I can only assume it's a problem with the stylus pressure on my turntable. I'm a bit reluctant to alter the pressure just now as it works fine for all my records bar one and I don't want to do anything that could cause damage to my other discs.

Cheers for all the suggestions and tips, I'll keep you posted.

Again, how old is your stylus? If its Reagan-era and has 10,000 plays on it then jacking up the pressure is just going to shred records. If this is the one that came with the TT when it was made (30 years ago?) it might be time to change it. If its the pack in one then change it anyway. You can get much much better stuff for $60 or so, even with the p-mount. For a low cost cart that is really good (but not very loud, to be honest) check out http://www.needledoctor.com/Grado-Black ... gory=16684

Most stylus have a recommended operating pressure. For home use its usually somewhere between 1.5 and 2.5. More pressure will get you more volume, less pressure will reduce wear.

The point of my story about jacking up the pressure was that I was repairing a record. I literally machined a defect out of the groove. I knew there was blockage there because I could actually see it. Unless you are a battle DJ you don't want that kind of stylus pressure! It maxes out the suspension on the stylus and wrecks the records.

Heh, "wreckords".

PostPosted: 13 Mar 2013, 19:18 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

signofzeta wrote:
Well, assuming your computer is making the files correctly and you're a big enough Shalamar fan to know what's going on then its a defective pressing. However, if this one is too fast that every single one made by that stamper and all stampers made from the master are exactly the same way so it would be a very well documented issue.

Records aren't an exact science, but they are an EXTREMELY simple one. If its fast and the TT is spinning the correct speed then the record is defective. It goes around. At 33-1/3. It hit the same spot in the song with the exact same frequency every time.

Of course this another situation where a "real" turntable would be helpful. Belt driven decks are, more or less, incapable of playing at the wrong pitch due to the way they are designed and most direct drive decks have strobes on them for minute adjustment/verification. An Ion USB deck...just kind of leaves you in the dark.

It sounds the same speed whether played ripped to my computer or through my receiver.

Regardless of the deck being an Ion turntable, it's the only one that sounds fast out of all my LPs

PostPosted: 13 Mar 2013, 19:44 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Then either it's detective or you are imagining it. Have you tried sampling the same songs from another source, something free like YouTube or the previews in iTunes?

PostPosted: 13 Mar 2013, 19:54 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

Yup. Which is why I can say it sounds faster.

PostPosted: 18 Mar 2013, 13:52 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Ok, looks like I've got part of the answer now. I played my copy on a friend's turntable and it played fine so it must be something up with my turntable and not a dodgy pressing. I'll be moving house at the beginning of May so I think once I've got my system set up I'll give the turntable a bit of a tune up which it will need anyway after a move.

In regards to the stylus it is about 10 years old but was practically unused for most of that and has only been used again regularly in the last three years, however as part of the tune up I'll be replacing it with a new one.

Thanks for all the advise and tips guys, I'll let you know how it goes once I'm in the new place.

Page 2 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2