It is currently 10 May 2024, 17:27

Page 3 of 14 [ 277 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: Do any of you guys collect video games?
PostPosted: 10 Dec 2014, 03:08 
True fan
True fan

elahrairrah wrote:
Anyone have an Amiga CD32? Always wanted to see one of those in action.

X2 I've only ever seen them watching youtube videos. Makes me wonder how many exist outside of Europe.

PostPosted: 10 Dec 2014, 03:35 
True fan
True fan

ace2184 wrote:
elahrairrah wrote:

X2 I've only ever seen them watching youtube videos. Makes me wonder how many exist outside of Europe.

Amiga had top notch Graphics in the late and early 90's I was getting pretty jealous compared to my IBM 486DX and 286 .... I grew up in the APPLE II IIe days 1980 I had my first personal computer.

Games always sounded and looked way better on c64 and Amiga. TEST Drive was just awesome on c64 and amiga...

DUANE

PostPosted: 10 Dec 2014, 04:43 
True fan
True fan

Attachment:
20140203_204635-1.jpg
20140203_204635-1.jpg [ 76.58 KiB | Viewed 4681 times ]
Grasshopper was playing the latest Mortal Kombat Komplete Edition the other night Windows version 2012 on my Asus gaming laptop!!!!!! :mrgreen:

Im 42 and still kicking!!!! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: 10 Dec 2014, 19:06 
True fan
True fan

elahrairrah wrote:

Maybe someday I'd like to get an Amiga CD32. The selection of games on it is pretty good, and there's also expansions that allow you to use it as an Amiga 1200 computer.

PostPosted: 10 Dec 2014, 21:58 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

ace2184 wrote:

Not many I would imagine. All the sites where I've read up on them say that most of the NTSC models were seized by the Philippine gov't because Commodore failed to pay for the manufacturing.

PostPosted: 11 Dec 2014, 06:41 
I collect mainly PSVita and Sega Genesis games but I have sega cd, dreamcast, saturn, ps1, ps2, turbo grafx-16, snes, nes, gamecube, wii, ps3 and wiiU. :thumbup:

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2014, 21:57 
True fan
True fan

Usually all I see at the thrift stores are sports games for the PS2 - which would be great if I liked sports games. :roll:
This morning I found a few gamecube games (at $5.99) and 1 PS2 game at $2.00 - all complete with case, artwork, manual and disc.

They were:
GC

Legend of Zelda
Collector's Edition
Four Swords Adventure
Twilight Princess
Pac Man World 2
Super Bubble Pop

PS2 - Ratchet and Clank Up Your Arsenal

The Zeldas were obviously the best of the lot but these days I will take what I can get.

PostPosted: 27 Dec 2014, 00:40 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Got myself a new HDTV yesterday (Sony Bravia KDL-48W605B) and after playing around some with my XRGB-mini, I got some fantastic picture quality. A capture from Out Run on the Sega Mega Drive (played in 240p with RGB via SCART, upscaled to 720p with scanlines). It's obviously difficult to get a good shot with a bad camera but I think you get the idea of what it looks like.

PostPosted: 27 Dec 2014, 09:35 
I wouldn't say I collect but I do have NES, PSX with the good dac's and PS2, Dreamcast, Gamecube, and original Xbox. My games and peripherals are just stuff I like, no exhaustive collecting. I admit I do have a weakness for Dreamcast so there is a bit of a "collection" there I would say.

Toshiba G300u was purchased specifically for Dreamcast as its VGA signal is not sensed by many sets' 60hz modes. It has proven to be a spectacular and versatile HD display albeit bare bones! Very happy to have Gamecube but it would be nice if the ED cable was more plentiful.

PostPosted: 06 Jan 2015, 00:56 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

I guess someone here might be able to help me out here since a lot of us are into vidya games.

Is there a cheap way to convert a Japanese 21-pin RGB connector to component?

I have a RGB cable for my Sega Saturn which I used to connect to my 37" computer monitor with a DVDO I-Scan plus via S-video.

Now that I went to a Sony WEGA, I was wondering if I can get a better connection than S-Video to that.

Also, for the Dreamcast, I know RGB cables were made for that too. I was thinking of getting a VGA to component video convertor for that, but since not all games support VGA, maybe RGB to component would work better?

PostPosted: 06 Jan 2015, 01:45 
True fan
True fan

grasshopper wrote:
ace2184 wrote:
elahrairrah wrote:

Amiga had top notch Graphics in the late and early 90's I was getting pretty jealous compared to my IBM 486DX and 286 .... I grew up in the APPLE II IIe days 1980 I had my first personal computer.

Games always sounded and looked way better on c64 and Amiga. TEST Drive was just awesome on c64 and amiga...

DUANE

Agreed. When I was a wee lad a friend of the family had a C64. To look back now, the graphics were far and above those of the more mainstream systems at the time.

PostPosted: 06 Jan 2015, 12:20 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

elahrairrah wrote:
Also, for the Dreamcast, I know RGB cables were made for that too. I was thinking of getting a VGA to component video convertor for that, but since not all games support VGA, maybe RGB to component would work better?

Get a Toro. It's a VGA-box with built in SCART-output where you can switch between 15kHz (RGB in 480i/240p) and 31kHz (VGA in 480p). It can also output the 31kHz signal through SCART for use with the XRGB-mini which doesn't have a VGA-input which was the main reason I bought it. It's a bit expensive ($80), but it has everything you need and you will always get the best picture out of you Dreamcast without having to change any cables.

PostPosted: 06 Jan 2015, 15:05 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

nissling wrote:
Get a Toro. It's a VGA-box with built in SCART-output where you can switch between 15kHz (RGB in 480i/240p) and 31kHz (VGA in 480p). It can also output the 31kHz signal through SCART for use with the XRGB-mini which doesn't have a VGA-input which was the main reason I bought it. It's a bit expensive ($80), but it has everything you need and you will always get the best picture out of you Dreamcast without having to change any cables.

I don't think that will help me as the WEGA doesn't have SCART inputs. I'm just using 21-pin RGB because its the highest level video output that the Sega Saturn has and possibly what the Dreamcast has that will work with all the games.

So converting 21-pin RGB to component is what I'm looking for.

PostPosted: 06 Jan 2015, 15:09 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Not all Dreamcast games have support for RGB. All PAL games has, but not all NTSC titles. Skies of Arcadia supports VGA in NTSC but not RGB. In PAL it supports RGB but not VGA, for exemple.

The only connection that works with all games (regardless region) is S-video.

PostPosted: 06 Jan 2015, 18:43 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

Still I would like to try to get a better connection than S-Video if I can. And with a DC-X you can force many games to output to RGB. I was able to have many games output through VGA with it.

PostPosted: 06 Jan 2015, 19:00 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Well that does make sense although some games have compability issues when forced into a specific signal like Dino Crisis (when forced to VGA all of the FMV sequences are pitch black but you get sound). Unlike the Saturn, all Dreamcasts have the exakt same A/V-output so you can get a 21-pin cable from Japan that works with an American one for instance.

Here's one solution that I can think of: Get a 21 pin to Euro SCART adapter and a SCART to Component converter. Make sure the converter supports RGB. Something like this should work but I haven't tried it out myself. Not sure how much delay you may get.

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2015, 03:45 
My NTSC experience is that sometimes S-Video is the way to go, particularly with Windows based games, i.e. Resident Evil 2 and 3. NOT good in native VGA.

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2015, 10:21 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I can kind of see your point with the mentioned titles. Resident Evil 2 has good polygons on the Dreamcast but the backgrounds aren't as detailed. And this is easier to see in 480p. Although there are some titles like SeGaGaGa and Rez that I can't see why anyone would play with anything else than VGA.

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2015, 07:42 
Yes VGA is almost always the way to go! You'll know pretty quickly if you should try s-video with a game. I would go so far as to say the console and the VGA box are one unit, and you are depriving yourself if you don't have both.

I have not played SeGaGaGa but Rez shines. And Ikaruga, even though it has so many soft, tufty graphics, it's just brilliant through VGA. True beauty.

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2015, 10:18 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

SeGaGaGa is incredibly fun in every way and never gets old. Highly recommended, but basic knowledge in Japanese will help out some (though most of the story can be understood by the visuals). There are lots of difficult kanjis so I would generally only expect native speakers to understand it fully, or someone who is extremely good at the language. That won't stop someone from getting joy out of the game of course so don't worry but using a walkthrough is a good idea.

Page 3 of 14 [ 277 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 14  Next