It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 21:13

Page 2 of 5 [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: What other hobbies do you have?
PostPosted: 17 Dec 2011, 23:39 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

Often than laserdiscs DVD and bluray

My cat is an interesting hobby of studying and learning about his, habits.

Astronomy is another hobby but really rubbish at it been doing it since 1979 when I got my first refractor telescope and then later a reflector telescope. I like photography with my simple point and press the button, thou I wouldn’t mind an SLR digital camera someday.

I like to set-up my own sound system that is I’d rather use the EQ and manually do it with RTA and SPL db metre or any other means to my disposal.

I like collecting small detailed James Bond 007 cars a few years ago that was cool, and I haven’t removed the model cars from the boxes.

I also once collected Cinefex a visual effects journal behind the visual effects trade. I have quite a bundle stored in plastic sleeves on top of the kitchen cupboards.

My Cinefex collection
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjQdYYIu ... ideo_title

I like collecting JBL loudspeakers if I see a good deal going. I like to start collecting cinema sound system processors and I’ve stated off on one already which was good buy.

I’m a bit slow at writing and I have story idea for a sci-fi but I, came a little stuck on the idea a few years ago as it needed a lot of researching into practical science and the unpractical as well also character names. Anyway I think they call it writers block? The story is up in my head and it needs to be put down on paper once typed out on the computer. I have few pages saved on floppy disc but my new pc damn it, doesn’t have drive so I have to buy a USB floppy disc drive, at some time.

I used to like model kits of star trek models enterprise and fitting out with fibre optics some 25 years ago, with nearly 40 meters of optics that I used in 22” AMT kit that was fun.

Now they have come a long way with polar lights and some advanced tint LED type plus the kits are now over 3 feet long! WOW I’d like to have one but I’d have no place safe for it from my cat.

My cat is the next best hobby or companion in my life.

Last edited by laserbite34 on 19 Dec 2011, 04:43, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: 18 Dec 2011, 08:15 
True fan
True fan

Comics. I started in the 70's as a kid and have collected on and off since. I rarely buy anything new anymore. Been spending my time and funds completing series from the 70's and 80's I partially collected. I've recently completed the Superboy/Legion of the Superheroes run and am about a dozen away from completing Iron Man.

I also collect cool vintage bicycles. I have 5 in rideable condition and a few "projects".

My wife says no more hobbies that require that much space!

PostPosted: 18 Dec 2011, 18:53 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

chente wrote:
My wife says no more hobbies that require that much space!

Why not stamp collecting then. :D

PostPosted: 18 Dec 2011, 19:42 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Hero clix. Small, Compact and 1000 of them take up maybe 1 sq foot :)

PostPosted: 19 Dec 2011, 04:09 
True fan
True fan

mikeystoyz wrote:
Hero clix. Small, Compact and 1000 of them take up maybe 1 sq foot :)

Guilty. We have a regular game night in San Diego at Game Empire. Where do you play?

PostPosted: 28 Jul 2017, 15:29 
Serious fan
Serious fan

I Play and Collect video games, watch Movies (every Format) and i love music so I listen to music every day.
I have been working as a private Graphic designer for many years, creating various types of graphics.
My works include movie covers, posters, greetings cards, etc.

PostPosted: 28 Jul 2017, 21:30 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I collect small model cars. I only have 3 of the small size, less than 3 inches long. One of the cars is a Simca 1500. I bought a new Simca 1000 in 1967. The other 2 cars are Citroen 2CV's. (I had a 1967 2CV that I bought in ~1974)

A larger model car is of a 1951 Hudson stock car that I bought off the Franklin Mint. (I owned a 1948 Hudson that I restored. I lost the car in an accident.)

My collection is small; but, it will grow with time. I am trying to concentrate on the cars that I have owned in the past.
CED
934-54780150, 934.54810350, SJT-200, CED-1, 3-VIP1000, VIP201P

PostPosted: 20 Sep 2018, 22:00 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

I collect and rebuild keyboard instruments. Been playing piano since age 3, undergraduate and masters in pipe organ performance. Played in various rock, blues, and jazz groups over the years. Current instruments include:
- Allen TC-4 (1962 analog organ with an added 3 ranks of pipe for a total of 6 ranks)
- Burton Harpsichord (single manual, 8' 4' stops with lute stop)
- Korg BX-3
- Korg MS 20
- Roland JX-8P
- Rhodes Stage Mark II
- Steinmeyer Pipe Organ (2 rank)
- Steinway Upright
- Wurlitzer 206
- Yamaha DX-7
- Yamaha CP-70B
- Yamaha CP-70M

Also play percussion, bass guitar, electric guitar, and baroque recorder. Got a fretless Fender Jazz Bass and a 6 string Ibanez bass.

Current project is a mystery builder clavichord that needs a new soundboard. Debating on picking up a 1920's concert grand that needs a new set of strings.

Also used to do a lot of work as a portrait, wedding, and event photographer. Pulled back on that recently as I don't have as much time as I used to.
Pioneer 151FD

PostPosted: 21 Sep 2018, 18:26 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

collecting/customizing Anime Character Dolls is a particularly passionate hobby of mine;

building/collecting Anime Mecha Model Kits is another; (the more 1980's the design, the better)

PostPosted: 22 Sep 2018, 04:49 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Lots of hobbies from the past that i’m not active in anymore (or maybe not). They include....

1) Model building (mostly anime mecha and 1/700 scale warships)
2) HO slot cars (still have my original set from the late 70’s and did recently acquire some vintage accessories I have yet to test).
3) Model trains (kept a hand me down set from my brother dating back to the late 60’s / early 70’s; haven’t used in years)

For the present day....

1) 1/32nd scale slot cars as I have mentioned before (will be getting back into it once I get my home situation settled; after that my wife is probably going to hate me because the thing is really going to be huge)
2) All things home theater that includes collecting software for SACD, DVD-A, DVD-V, Blu-Ray, and let’s not forget LaserDisc. In addition, I do keep a bunch of dead formats around for nostalgic reasons and maintain them such as VHS, S-VHS, Compact Cassette, etc. Lastly, I’ve been back to performing those AC-3 retrofits after I had recently completed my first scratch built board (sky’s the limit now in getting every player I own modded for Dolby AC-3).

PostPosted: 23 Sep 2018, 03:56 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Happy to hold and live Budo as a hobby and enjoy Katana and wakizashi practice. Nunchaku have been an interest since my teens.
Daily Meditation is essential to living "the way" .....

An old Advanced Dungeons and Dragons fan. Still have an army of 25mm figures that I have painted over my life. Still get the paints out and bring minis to life once in awhile.
Like other role playing games like Morrow Project, Fringeworthy, Gamma World, and FTL-2448.

Also like to bend some guitar strings when the planets align properly.

Not only surrounded by thousands of LaserDiscs but am also surrounded by thousands of books. At this time of my life I am ongoing crushing three or four book simultaneously.
Seem to really enjoy reading and buying books these days.

Physical fitness in my early fifties has become a big priority as I enter my twilight years. I whip out 120 pushups a day, scissor kicks,yoga and walk (2k) half of which is uphill nightly when able.
This daily regime allows me to heft the gear to go SCUBA diving when possible.
I like to think that this PT mitigates my proclivity for sedentary lifestyle !
As one gets older the rule of thumb is "use it or lose it".

I also have a fond interest in the study of astrology and Irish history. Also the history of ancient India in reference to the ancient writings of the Upanishads and Vedas. As well as the Tibetan Bon religion.

Last however not least I am an avid video gamer. My games of choice are "The Division", "Bio-Shock", "Battlefield 3", and the "Dead-Space franchise" ......Especially Dead Space 2 Multi-Player .......

Thanks for this thread ....

Cheers to the membership

PostPosted: 23 Sep 2018, 11:35 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

kingpin wrote:
i love music so I listen to music every day.

Is listening to music really a hobby? I guess collecting it is..Music is just part of my life, don't really consider it a hobby but then again I spend a lot of time on it, same as clothes..are these kind of things "lifestyle" or hobbies? Does it matter?

PostPosted: 23 Sep 2018, 16:53 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

kind of how i feel about Video Games.

i've been playing since i was 8~9 years old around 1989/1990, beginning with the SEGA GENESIS, and keeping abreast with most major platforms through the 90's,
retaining every platform along the way, as well as most of each game library i built for each of them, all largely thanks to very generous and understanding parents.

predictably, i have a very substantial combined video game library today, spanning the last 25+ years, and, with all the classic, coveted collectors' pieces throughout,
i suppose one could consider Video Game collecting as such to be a "Hobby"

still and all, since mine is a "Working" collection, and i generally consider it all to be a form of Entertainment, analogous to that of a Home Video collection...

PostPosted: 25 Sep 2018, 04:51 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

Video games are fun to collect as well. I've got a small collection of some NES, SNES, and N64 games. I've also got an old Atari 800 with a ton of games on 5" floppy discs.
Pioneer 151FD

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2019, 21:44 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I have a 80mm refractor that got for Xmas a while ago. I had never had something like this before so it was educational to learn about how to use the equatorial mount and a star chart. I eventually lost interest in it but now I have a kid so we’ll get back into it some day.

Anyone who hasn’t seen the moon with at least decent binoculars is seriously missing out on something. Everyone should get a good look at that massive thing flying over our heads every day. The details you can see even with a decent camera are downright mind expanding.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2019, 02:18 
True fan
True fan

I do play some video games and still enjoy the classics-primarily arcade games. As far as collecting I still collect books and records and am continually trying to find the best sounding issues of favorite albums and such.
Overall I'm a complete film geek and spend every available moment researching or doing film analysis.

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2019, 08:22 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

After LD, my second collector activity is PC-98.
It takes money, lot of time and some technical knowledge to get it work perfectly, and get all you need to play games. But when you can launch a soft you could buy in a perfect condition, in the very same situation than 30 years ago (on a PC-98 with appropriate sound, usually FM board + Midi), it is so exciting !
Lumagen 2144 (scaler)
Collection

PostPosted: 25 Jan 2019, 01:19 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Here's two of em:

wargaming since I was 12 years old..

Just finished my 6mm USMC heliborne company circa 1988 (The M109s aren't heliborne, they come in by sea):

Ghetto Golf. Buy a 6 iron and some balls from a charity shop, play through the suburbs with a buddy. Pick out targets as you go. Been playing since uni when I had even less money than now and never stopped. Green fees $0. Watch out for "civilians".

Island attack:

bad lie:

gutter ball (coffee cup tee):

PostPosted: 25 Jan 2019, 01:52 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Man that golf sounds like a great idea.
I could see doing it with some buddies and cocktails in soda bottles :lol:

PostPosted: 25 Jan 2019, 02:20 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

I collect anime and Criterion movies depending on the title. I've had to go through my collections and see what I want to keep and give away or sell. So my DVD Profiler is pretty much what I want to keep as of now but could change when I get my stuff. Also I might get rid of duplicate Criterions on LD and DVD/BD but I have not really decided. Anything could change whenever I get my stuff. Also collect books manga and video games which also have to be gone through.
Anyway here's some lists of stuff I remember owning since not everything is here but will be by the end of the year:
Books/Manga | VideoGames

Shoot almost forgot I have a Classic Mac collection that I will have to pair down :(

Page 2 of 5 [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next