It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 00:54

Page 1 of 2 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: What else do you collect
PostPosted: 16 Oct 2014, 13:45 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Other than the laserdiscs what else do you collect.

I have a fairly decent collection of 90s/00s UK hardcore dance music, say about 500 singles in total and all on vinyl of course. Most of them range 94-98 then 02-05. Took a break in the middle to play dance/trance but those are all sold now and its HTID for me :). Bought a set of CD decks a couple of years algo as £6 per vinyl single was getting expensive but they rarely get used. Occassionally still play them but not as much as I used to.

In the man cave I have a set of technics 1200mk2 with shure whitelabel carts and a set of numark axis 9 cd decks into a kam imperial mixer (big beasty of a thing but sounds great).

Also have a small collection of rock/pop on vinyl. All albums and just for keepsakes more than anything. Only started collecting rock/pop early this year then stumbled across this laserdisc lark which has sortof taken over. Bought a 3rd 1200mk2 early this year in bits of a guy who had tried to replace the phono leads. Fixed it up, gave it a paint job and its at home in the living room for casual vinyl listening.

Post subject: Re: What else do you collect
PostPosted: 16 Oct 2014, 15:24 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Hentai, music CDs (only for listening) and videogames (mostly Dreamcast and Saturn). I don't buy much stuff nowadays as I've become more of a consumer than a collector though.

Last edited by nissling on 22 Dec 2014, 12:07, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 16 Oct 2014, 16:17 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Anime, Manga, Anime Artbooks, Anime Dolls, Anime Figures, Japanese MECHA Toys/Models, Vintage/Newer Video Games, 1980's A/V and Stereo gear,
1980's edition CDs, 1990's,1980's,1970's Hi-Fi and A/V magazines, Etc...

PostPosted: 16 Oct 2014, 18:54 
i collect everything about old skool movies

Last edited by Guest on 29 Jul 2017, 11:52, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 16 Oct 2014, 21:40 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

DVDs, science fiction and other books (a few thousand), comics (several hundred), role playing games (several hundred books and supplements) and other games, Victorian/Edwardian magazines (a few dozen volumes and individual issues), and assorted technojunk.

PostPosted: 17 Oct 2014, 10:56 
Serious fan
Serious fan

I'm considering taking a plunge into other video formats. Theres a guy not far from me selling a 1970s betamax video recorder for £10. You've no idea how tempted I am. Only thing stopping me is the lack of space I have to put it.

PostPosted: 02 Nov 2014, 00:59 
True fan
True fan

glen_m wrote:
I'm considering taking a plunge into other video formats. Theres a guy not far from me selling a 1970s betamax video recorder for £10. You've no idea how tempted I am. Only thing stopping me is the lack of space I have to put it.

I hear ya on the betamax, it seems older players are relatively inexpensive, but I can't pull the trigger on it. I do collect CEDs to an extent and I have a pretty decent video game collection, ranging from Atari to Turbografx and everything in between.

PostPosted: 02 Nov 2014, 02:18 
True fan
True fan

I collect all sorts of stuff - I go to thrift stores a lot and pick up a lot of whatever strikes my fancy (although I will buy new stuff if it is applicable).
Some of the larger size collections I have are:

Board games - particularly strategy games - this is one area where I buy a lot of new ones.
Music cds - all over the board here depending on my mood at the time.
Video games - I have about 14 different systems - games are mostly RPGS, puzzle and strategy games but i do pick up other things as well.
Books - Mrs. Bear and I are major readers and we have thousands and thousands of books - I also have a large collection of vintage sci-fi paperbacks.
Bookends - mostly vintage metal ones of various sorts
Chess sets and older multiple game sets
Cloth maps - mostly fantasy ones from pc and video games
DVDs - what can I say - I like movies a lot.
Vintage speakers from the fifties and sixties - mostly just raw speakers

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2014, 05:35 
^ Years ago I managed a Games by James offshoot called "Games People Play" in uptown mpls. -- currently a suburban shrink shithole. I have many games, lol. A good fringe board game to find is Origins, exploring the...er...origins of tried and true phrases, sayings, and customs in our American culture. It's affordable and easily had. I also love the old 3M games, Facts in Five being a particular favorite of ours. I once lusted hard after the dope chess sets but have now tapered down to two of the 1.25" tongue-in-groove Drueke boards, and the tiny French boxwood chessmen sets Drueke was distributing in the 90s. Perfect scale to each other. Both are tough to find. I have a board with the pre-Carrom firebrand! I've been after a particular 90s backgammon set of theirs for some time now.

For you, I would highly, highly recommend a set of Giant Quarto, or at least Quarto Deluxe. So good, and the bigger the better. Honestly, Quarto is the best thing since chess.

I love first or early printings of my favorite authors' books. Exley, Brautigan, Crumley, and others. My most recent acquisition is a hardcover of Crumley's wh**es still in wrap (# ? of 501), and an advance proof of Jonathan Miles' Dear American Airlines, from the same seller. Ironically that print count of wh**es coincides with another passion of mine, denim.

And comics. I might grade third party and sell a bunch of stuff. Lots of multiples of early Brandon Graham stuff and J. Scott Campbell's Elephantmen and Amazing Spider-Man covers in my heap.

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2014, 08:57 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Nice collections listed so far ....

I collect marbles.... moderate number with some from late 1800's...... (not a joke lol)
Collection of many,many pennies, pre-1982 of course ! Also $2 dollar bills ......

Books, lots and lots of books, ( black character marks on many pages bound together for those unfamiliar )
Significant number of early and late Philip K. Dick titles, sporting about 30+ tomes by the Master of Science Fiction ....
Other specific Sci-Fi authors collected : Heinlein, Herbert, Clark, Anderson, Brin, Moorcock, Niven, Anthony, Azimov.........

I don't collect RPG's but I have lots of AD&D first edition books and modules with various supplements and as a result ----
A very large 25mm fantasy /science fiction miniature lead figurine hoard. Over 15oo Painted and 200+or- unpainted......
Started painting them circa 1980....
Also --- Do collect Morrow Project memorabilia. A RPG created in my home town area circa 1977.

By far, LaserDiscs take up the most room of all my collectables ......

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2014, 16:08 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

When I was a kid, I used to collect phone cards - which later became very popular and expensive at the flea markets. Nowadays there is no such thing as phone cards anymore. Gave away the collection to my mother years ago.
Now, I try to focus on video games and compact discs, vinyl records.

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2014, 17:33 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

laserpaal wrote:
When I was a kid, I used to collect phone cards - which later became very popular and expensive at the flea markets. Nowadays there is no such thing as phone cards anymore. Gave away the collection to my mother years ago.

Me too brother! Collecting scene here was quite big in the 90s. Telia, the swedish phono company where the only manufacture of them and they also had a club where you could order the phone cards that where made. Even the promotion cards that where made for companies. So you got a newspaper 4 times a year with all the cards that where made, with pictures.

Sadly this service where dropped, and that made the entire scene pretty much died with it. But it would have got there sooner or later anyway. I had a quick look on the market today and I am almost tempted to complete my collection with the cards that where way to expensive back then. Rare and test cards goes for 5-15 usd. Cards which you only saw on pictures back then.

I think phonecards is a great time document from the 90s. Many kids and adults where doing it. The adults where a little more dull if you ask me, they had huge collections but they bought 99% of them. We kids only had used cards, that's how it should be. You had to actually found the cards, not order them. I even had a mailing friend in the UK where I traded from. My only time cops have taken me to a police station was also phone card related. I was in UK with my dad and we stopped in a truck stop. And back then they had locked boxes where you could throw your cards for recycle. So I had a stick with glue on the end so I could pick them up. SO of course someone told the police I tried to break the money boxes. Can you imagine a 12 year old Swedish boy being taken by cops in UK. I was shaking.

I also remember we raided a teacher university once. Asked everyone that where there if they had any empty cards. Once in a while you hit the jackpot with a teacher that had a whole stack in her/his office.

In Denmark however I was in a holiday resort, there they had similar boxes but with a regular tool key, so I could open them up, that was like heaven =)

Long story here. What Im trying to say is that some of the best and fun memories from my childhood where from this hobby which where 100% free, and it was something you could find. I don't know if kids today can have any free hobby like that ? My dad collected match boxes and wine/beer labels, but now there's mostly tin cans.

PostPosted: 23 Dec 2014, 00:34 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I have quite a large collection of CD's SACD's
I am always looking for fresh well crafted music,

Various genres:
1) Classical composers especially from the 1850's to the 1950's ie: SIBELIUS / DEBUSSY / EDWARD ELGAR / RACHMANINOFF and similar
2) Various operas such as PUCCINI also Male and females opera singers of a certain sound.
3) CINEMATIC SOUNDS CAPES FROM THE LIKES OF: HYBRID (UK BAND BASED IN SWANSEA)
4) AMBIENT WORKS FROM: THE ORB / FUTURE SOUND OF LONDON / KLF / APHEX TWIN and many others.
5) DRUM AND BASS FROM THE LIKES OF: BLU MAR TEN / LTJ BUKEM and many others.
6) POST ROCK MUSIC FROM: HAMMOCK and a number of others.
7) DEEP JOURNEY MUSIC FROM: JON JENKINS & DAVID HELPING an many others.
8) THE LATER WORKS FROM: PINK FLOYD MOMENTARY LAPSE OF REASON / DIVISION BELL.
9) I LOVE SWING MUSIC FROM THE 1950 AND 1960 AND SOME MODERN EQUIVALENTS.
10) JAZZ MUSIC BUT VERY SELECTIVE.
11) MANY OTHER WORKS FROM A GOOD NUMBER OF OTHER ARTISTS.

CD's are tangible like LD's, yes Vinyl is preferred but if I was to go down this route, I know the kind of equipment that I would purchase, and so good quality recordings on CD's and SACD's is fine.

12) I love walking around old tudor Book shops Winchester UK I have fond memories as I purchased 2 X Antique Bibles from a lovely old old shop with creaking floor boards: 1 x Bible year 1549 & the other 1784. have 7 other huge Bibles from years: 1850 to 1900 and study these.

Kind regards Guys

:thumbup: :wave:

Last edited by benmbe on 25 Aug 2017, 14:13, edited 1 time in total. _________________
Το ταξίδι για την αλήθεια κάθε σκάφος δεμένα, κατόπιν δεν είναι να ληφθούν, ή μάλλον βάδισαν

PostPosted: 23 Dec 2014, 22:57 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

my ocd is urging me to go into collecting ced, vhs, beta etc.. and also dig into pal/secam territory for ld, vhs, beta and all. so far I successfully stopped the urge

PostPosted: 23 Dec 2014, 23:21 
True fan
True fan

The only other things I really collect are video games (mostly SEGA Genesis and SEGA CD stuff).

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2015, 20:50 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

johan184 wrote:
laserpaal wrote:

Me too brother! Collecting scene here was quite big in the 90s. Telia, the swedish phono company where the only manufacture of them and they also had a club where you could order the phone cards that where made. Even the promotion cards that where made for companies. So you got a newspaper 4 times a year with all the cards that where made, with pictures.

Sadly this service where dropped, and that made the entire scene pretty much died with it. But it would have got there sooner or later anyway. I had a quick look on the market today and I am almost tempted to complete my collection with the cards that where way to expensive back then. Rare and test cards goes for 5-15 usd. Cards which you only saw on pictures back then.

I think phonecards is a great time document from the 90s. Many kids and adults where doing it. The adults where a little more dull if you ask me, they had huge collections but they bought 99% of them. We kids only had used cards, that's how it should be. You had to actually found the cards, not order them. I even had a mailing friend in the UK where I traded from. My only time cops have taken me to a police station was also phone card related. I was in UK with my dad and we stopped in a truck stop. And back then they had locked boxes where you could throw your cards for recycle. So I had a stick with glue on the end so I could pick them up. SO of course someone told the police I tried to break the money boxes. Can you imagine a 12 year old Swedish boy being taken by cops in UK. I was shaking.

I also remember we raided a teacher university once. Asked everyone that where there if they had any empty cards. Once in a while you hit the jackpot with a teacher that had a whole stack in her/his office.

In Denmark however I was in a holiday resort, there they had similar boxes but with a regular tool key, so I could open them up, that was like heaven =)

Long story here. What Im trying to say is that some of the best and fun memories from my childhood where from this hobby which where 100% free, and it was something you could find. I don't know if kids today can have any free hobby like that ? My dad collected match boxes and wine/beer labels, but now there's mostly tin cans.

I miss those times. :( Not only collecting, but checking those telephone booths available were something in itself. Sometimes I found cards with a great amount of value left, though it didn't happen that often.

PostPosted: 28 Jul 2017, 15:31 
Serious fan
Serious fan

I collect video games, mostly NEO GEO AES.

PostPosted: 28 Jul 2017, 16:16 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

PostPosted: 28 Jul 2017, 21:15 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I collect a variety of different video formats: CED, LD, DVD, BD and UHD. (I have about 100 VHS tapes; but, I don't actively collect them now.) My movie collection breaks down to 207 LD's, 396 CED's and 240 DVD's + BD's + UHD. The sum for all 3 formats is 847. I also have 2 CDV;s of Star wars Episode I.

My VHS tapes breaks down to about 50 pre-recorded tapes and 50 tapes recorded off the air. I have the complete OTA recording of V the series (FWIIW).

My CD collection is spread over 2-200 disc Sony CD changers (CDP-CX230 models). I have a slink-e interface box that is connected to the 2 changers and a Win98 PC. I have software on the the Win98 PC that talks to the Slink-E that then talks to the CD changers. The result is that the Win98 can control the CD changers allowing me to inventory the changers and playback anyone of the CD's. The software allows me to setup and store playlists for playback. I can add up to 6 more 400-disc changers should I ever need the room. The software even allows me to play each CD completely or select individual tracks. I can randomize the CD's/tracks in a playlist. Unfortunately, the software engineer died some years ago so the software is no longer available. Also, the slink-e interface box is unavailable as the manufacturer is out of business. (I have 2 spare slink-e boxes stored away in case of a breakdown).
CED
934-54780150, 934.54810350, SJT-200, CED-1, 3-VIP1000, VIP201P

PostPosted: 29 Jul 2017, 10:26 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

That's incredibly cool having V taped off air.. I remember when my family lived in the USA in the early to mid 80s, Falls Church VA and the older kids on the yellow school bus talking about V and trying to scare the little kids like us.

I collect too many things, always have, so I feel I never have a satisfying collection of anything. But everything I collect is a lifetime commitment and I'll probably get to where I want with most of my hobbies a few days before I die or something? Anyway I usually focus on one thing at a time and then come back to it maybe years later..want to cull some hobbies but can't, I love too much stuff in this world. At least I gave up vintage video games and Air Jordans a while ago now, but still wouldn't mind getting a few Neo Geo AES carts..

American furniture and homewares
pens and stationery
A/V equipment
Shoes
Japanese streetwear
American vintage clothes
Cold War era US military gear
Books (Ospreys, other military reference books, anime art books, fashion and 80s architecture/interiors)
CDs
SACDs
MDs
DVDs
1/6 military and Star Wars
Macross
Comic books
80s hex based wargames
80s role playing games
Advanced Squad Leader

...probably more..

Page 1 of 2 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next