It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 04:10

Page 7 of 10 [ 192 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Is there a cult following for VHS?
PostPosted: 13 Jun 2016, 11:18 
[quote="samaron"]Went to a closed down video rental shop in the city yesterday. They have something like 20.000 VHS tapes stored away besides a probably equal amount of DVDs and blu-ray discs. Just silly how much movies were around that place!

Picked up some more VHS and betamax tapes, of course!

Just picked some random, I were there mainly for the BDs. Selling everything out cheap![quote="samaron"]

@ Samaron look for Naked Vengeance 1985 on Vestron, you won't be disapointed!
must be the 97 min version which is uncut!

this is what it looks like.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Naked-Vengeance ... xy4t1ShmFG

PostPosted: 13 Jun 2016, 14:13 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

carlosthejackal wrote:
@ Samaron look for Naked Vengeance 1985 on Vestron, you won't be disapointed!
must be the 97 min version which is uncut!

this is what it looks like.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Naked-Vengeance ... xy4t1ShmFG

I could try. Just too many tapes, almost impossible to find anything there. :lol: Most likely I will take a new trip to that place soon with another guy. Better to look through everything with an extra set of eyes. :)

forper wrote:
That's so awesome. Looked up the DVD of Bridge to Hell and this is the cover:

Doesn't really inspire the same level of excitement... : (

Indeed. I guess a lot of the original artwork is lost, which is probably part of the reason it isn't used on DVD/BDs.

I did pick up a few more tapes lately. Mostly beta, but some VHS as well. The reason some have a much smaller cover is because they're made for a completely different style of box. Over the years they've been put into more generic big boxes. Battlestar Galactica and Oil - The Billion Dollar Fire are cut paper sleeves, UK pre-cert tapes. One of my personal (cover) favorites in this lot is The Vietnam Soldier. :) A lot of this stuff is ancient and, at least to me, holds some historic value. Many are old UK imports, and Family Enforcer even has a small sticker that says "This movie is approved for rental from Novio". Novio was one of the bigger distributors during the 80s. The Paper sleeve even has a "door", which I've never seen before. Again, old UK pre-cert. A lot of the early (1980) rental tapes were imported from UK or Sweden. A lot of collectors go past these because they're foreign. I think they're important since they represent how the rental market was in the very beginning, imports.

PostPosted: 13 Jun 2016, 17:17 
forgot to tell you Naked Vengeance is on Vestron video.
I have the uncut unedited version on NTSC and this movie is awesome!

what is the correct title for Bushido Force and Carquake, Dobbelt spiel in Vegas?
plese take a close up picture of backside of all 3 clam shells

PostPosted: 13 Jun 2016, 17:40 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I could pick up the US VHS. Is the movie available on DVD/BD uncut?

Bushido's Force is Ninja's Force from 1984, Philippine movie. Really boring and this release is cut.
Carquake is Cannonball from 1976. Ancient UK pre-cert which is supposed to be in a "glassbox" type cover. Looks like an oversized audio cassette cover.
Dobbeltspill i Las Vegas is Blackjack from 1978.

Here are the backsides:

PostPosted: 13 Jun 2016, 18:26 
Samaron

Thanks for these pictures.

Naked Vengeance was not reliesed on LD, dvd or BD, only vhs
Theme song sung by Deborah Tranelli is fukkin' awesome.
Highly recommended movie if you are into violence!!
This is a rape revenge movie with lots of suspense.

Carquake is Cannonball with David Carradine, this is one of my favorite movies since I was a kid!
I rented it several times on vhs.
Lots of muscle cars like Charger, Mustang, Pantera, CorVette and lots of other cool cars.
This is one helluva action movie if you like cars!!

Don't fogget beer and potato chips when you watch Carquake. :thumbup:

PostPosted: 14 Jun 2016, 10:31 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

this thread is so rad

PostPosted: 16 Jun 2016, 14:19 
Serious fan
Serious fan

carlosthejackal wrote:
Highly recommended movie if you are into violence!!
This is a rape revenge movie with lots of suspense.

This is very out of topic but, whatever happened to R/X rated movies? In the age of HD camera in your cellphone you would think it is going to be their renaissance.

My only guess is that worldwide release and 2 months to DVD of the blockbusters killed the market for those straight to VHS movies. One might argue that movie pirating killed them, but it isn't like they weren't mass copied in 80's/90s.

PostPosted: 16 Jun 2016, 15:49 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

rch928 wrote:
This is very out of topic but, whatever happened to R/X rated movies? In the age of HD camera in your cellphone you would think it is going to be their renaissance.

My only guess is that worldwide release and 2 months to DVD of the blockbusters killed the market for those straight to VHS movies. One might argue that movie pirating killed them, but it isn't like they weren't mass copied in 80's/90s.

X-Rated/NC-17 movies don't get wide release. Some theaters won't carry them. Even extremely violent R-rated movies get the same treatment (when Rob Zombie's House of 1000 Corpses came out, only 1 theater in my area showed it.) Gots to make that money!!

PostPosted: 16 Jun 2016, 17:52 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

elahrairrah wrote:
X-Rated/NC-17 movies don't get wide release. Some theaters won't carry them. Even extremely violent R-rated movies get the same treatment (when Rob Zombie's House of 1000 Corpses came out, only 1 theater in my area showed it.) Gots to make that money!!

Yeah, I got the impression a lot of movies in the US are cut or made more mild to get a lower rating and thus more audience. Didn't think movie theatres actually refused to show R/NC-17 movies. That's interesting!

PostPosted: 17 Jun 2016, 11:20 
Serious fan
Serious fan

elahrairrah wrote:

But they lived on the betamax/vhs market. I hardly recall any on DVD, Bluray or even streaming online. It feels like a genre of music (maybe Disco?) that existed for a short time in history and then vanished.

PostPosted: 18 Jun 2016, 13:56 
samaron wrote:
I could pick up the US VHS. Is the movie available on DVD/BD uncut?

Bushido's Force is Ninja's Force from 1984, Philippine movie. Really boring and this release is cut.
Carquake is Cannonball from 1976. Ancient UK pre-cert which is supposed to be in a "glassbox" type cover. Looks like an oversized audio cassette cover.
Dobbeltspill i Las Vegas is Blackjack from 1978.

Here are the backsides:

Samaron
next time you go to your local videostore to buy X-rentals, please check for a movie titled Speedtrap, it's from 1977.
Joe Don Baker, Tyne Daly, Richard Jaeckel and Robert Loggia starred in this movie.
It's about cops and robbers stealing exotic cars

Speedtrap was reliesed on swedish studio Europa Film back in the 80's.
Artwork was lime green around the edges with picture inserts.

I'm looking for artwork or complete X-rental tape
If you find it I would like to have a copy of artwork, I will pay for this

this is the poster
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SPEEDTRAP-FF-OR ... SwPhdU97DA

thanks

PostPosted: 26 Jun 2016, 01:06 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Had another trip to the old video store. Went there with another guy and we were digging for hours. One of the big problems is that you can find the cover for a movie on the 2nd floor, while the tape might be behind a water pipe on the 4th floor. No system whatsoever...

One tape I didn't find the cover for was Flåklypa Grand Prix (The Pinchcliffe Grand Prix). I did find a high-resolution cover scan, so I printed my own. The result isn't bad in my opinion. :) I also found some other stuff, like old signs that showed what category (genre) movies are, an unopened Pepsi bottle from the 80s, some old store ordering cataloge for Jurrasic Park. Also found a hilarious folder with brand new, unused, covers for p0rn movies. The funny part is that each title have a hand-signed approval paper from the authorities. I can't imagine how many thousand had to be signed each year... It also contained a list showing prices for each title. For example "2002: A Sex Odyssey" is in todays value around 160 USD. Doubt anyone would be willing to pay that much for a movie today, lol.

I also met with a guy and bought a greek VHS tape of the sword and sorcery movie The Barbarians. Got a movie called Think Big as a bonus, which has the same guys in the main cast as well. :)

Here is my new haul:

PostPosted: 26 Jun 2016, 14:58 
samaron, cool gems you found!
don't ever open that Pepsi bottle, it will fetch silly money within 50 years or so among collectors.

PostPosted: 26 Jun 2016, 17:30 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

THE HUNT FOR RED OCTOBER Limited Ed. VHS 1st Printing (1990)

PostPosted: 26 Jun 2016, 18:44 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Oh, red plastic! Never seen that before, really cool!

A bit weird it is in a paper slipcase when it is limited edition? Never quite understood why almost everything is in paper slipcases in the US. Over here it is the complete opposite. Everything came in big or small box clamshells, very rare anything came in paper slipcases.

PostPosted: 26 Jun 2016, 20:29 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Those tapes are really cool, samaron. Those are movies I have never heard of in my entire life.

How much did you pay for each time ? You can quote the price in Norwegian Krona.

PostPosted: 26 Jun 2016, 20:47 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Oh, each tape had a different price, depending on title and/or distributor. I never paid above 100 NOK per tape, though. Some were like 30 NOK too.

Eventhough these are VHS and betamax tapes, I feel it is "easier" to find older movies on these formats. Especially more obscure titles. With all these tapes piled up like this, it is really easy to browse through and pick a few random titles. A lot of the really cool stuff have disappeared from that old video store. A few weeks ago, some hardcore collectors came with some big vans that they filled up. I personally picked out some I thought have cool covers or titles, as well as a couple of movies I really like.

PostPosted: 28 Jun 2016, 15:40 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

JOHNNY MNEMONIC Ltd Ed. 1st printing with plastic slipcase (with DVD edition in attendance, sporting color-coordinating, non-original DVD case)

PostPosted: 29 Jun 2016, 22:05 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Went digging today as well. Not the most impressive finds, but I personally am really happy I found Savage Weekend! Already got a couple of other movies with cover art by the same person. These, as far as I know, have unique artwork only found here in Norway. Drawn/painted by an artist that lived in Stavanger after what I've been told.

The "In and out of Africa" movie is a bit of a curiosity. Erotic/p0rn movie, but I also got official paperwork along with it that the authorities issued which states the title is approved and legal for distribution. Probably heavily cut to be approved, lol.

PostPosted: 10 Jul 2016, 19:44 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

HR-S8000U S-VHS as featured in 2015 Film "Joy"

my own personal customized HR-S8000U;

Page 7 of 10 [ 192 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next