It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 07:51

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 
 Post subject: When was the last time you used these media to record on?
PostPosted: 21 Apr 2017, 00:48 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

Video Tape
Cassette
Minidisc
DVD-R
Conventional film for analogue camera
3 1/2 Floppy Disk

I was trying to remember when I last used a video tape or even cassette to actually record on.
I would say it was about 2005 for video tape and probably 1997 for cassette as I used to transfer my favourite CDs to tape to listen on a walkman as I preferred it to a CD discman which would skip and was pretty unreliable.

Never owned a minidisc recorder so no recordings at all but do own quite a few pre-recorded minidiscs of my favourite artists.

I've thousands of video tapes which I still watch but have no intention of ever recording on again. DVD-R killed videotape stone dead. I still use DVDs for doing decent copies of my laserdiscs or archiving films from my DVD recorder to keep.

Took loads of pics on conventional film cameras in the 90's as digital equipment was still in its infancy and pretty rubbish. Been totally digital since 2003.

Still used 3 1/2 floppies occasionally up to the early 2000's for work and home just for transferring small files back and forth between different computers that were not connected to the internet and not USB compatible at the time.

So it seems the only format from above I still use is DVD-R and even that is not used that often these days.

Post subject: Re: When was the last time you used these media to record on
PostPosted: 21 Apr 2017, 02:30 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I still use floppy disks. Just a few days ago I copied out some files that came with a LD. Old computers is also something I enjoy using, so 5,25", 3,5" and zip disks are still common in use for me. Sometimes I bring out my Famicom Disk System and various pirate equipment for it. Those are 3" diskettes.

As for DVD-R, it isn't used much anymore. I did burn a lot of discs, but hard drives have become fairly cheap and can hold a lot of data now. I do still use it from time to time.

Film for a camera... last time would be in 2005. Had a project where I would develop my own pictures with the chemical baths and all that. Opted for black and white since it were simpler. I actually digitized an old TV recording from 1991, and one of the commercials were for a photo shop and said "color photos within the hour". Now it is probably within a week, lol. Actual film has to be sent across the country now. Everything has gone digital.

Video and audio cassette recordings is something I haven't done in a long time. Last would be in the early 2000s. Last time would be when I transferred some stuff from my computer. Did record some music videos over to tape that I had downloaded from Kazaa or something, lol.

PostPosted: 21 Apr 2017, 02:47 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I was really into Minidisc in the '90s, I never had a deck though, just a portable recorder.

I tried an ipod in the mid oughts and hated every minute of the experience. I threw that ipod into a pond, I didn't care about the money, it had to die.

Then I used CD walkmans for a long time and then Hi-MD when that came out. Sold my MZ-RH1 and 15 1GB discs when I lost my job, that paid my rent for months in a group home. Saved my life.

I got heavily back into MD a few years ago when I got a job. I got a mint JB980 QS deck off ebay coz I'd heard good things about the DAC and what it can do to a digital signal, really clean it up. Well it does that but it also makes really nice recordings so I started dubbing some music LDs onto MD for portable listening.

Last time I made a recording? Last week.

VHS I haven't had a working deck for a long time. Tried to buy some off Gumtree to play back my small remaining collection but they all jammed up/failed. Only really interested in a legacy SVHS deck worth maintaining and only after I've procured everything else (replacement for my amp that's having issues, Hi vision LD player, MUSE decoder)

DVD-R - I had this idea for a long time of archiving rare downloads on physical media on my shelf with homemade covers and got Taiyo Yuden discs and everything but then I heard even they don't hold the data forever and it seems like a half a** thing to do so only interested in legit pressed releases on DVD now. Not intertested in archiving LDs because they're already an archive format?

Haven't had a tape deck for a long time, sucky format, never liked that hiss, not interested anymore, I archived some mix tapes I had from public radio as a kid onto MD a long time back. Still got the MDs.

Floppy's? Long time no use. I remember I had a few with data before i owned a PC. Just used to use the library and university computers. Didn't get my first PC until 2005, didn't have a FDD.

PostPosted: 21 Apr 2017, 03:19 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I use Minidisc fairly regularly. I use DVD-R to make copies of rare LDs for friends because it's an easy process and gives great results.

None of the other stuff though...I digitize stuff sometimes but I have no need to record to them.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 21 Apr 2017, 15:24 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

Video Tape - few months ago (doing some comparisons between S-VHS and SuperBeta Hi-Band)
Cassette - more than a decade ago
Minidisc - few months ago
DVD-R - last week (still use a DVD Recorder)
Conventional film for analogue camera - last year (got a 35mm SLR last year)
3 1/2 Floppy Disk - last year

PostPosted: 21 Apr 2017, 23:38 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Still using Cassette (Vídeo and Audio)

PostPosted: 22 Apr 2017, 00:15 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

forper wrote:
I tried an ipod in the mid oughts and hated every minute of the experience. I threw that ipod into a pond, I didn't care about the money, it had to die.

You are funny but this is one thing I agree with. I am strictly Sony for portable players.
I still use my 2009 Sony Walkman X series which was light years ahead of Apple for sound and ease of use.

PostPosted: 22 Apr 2017, 00:21 
True fan
True fan

Last time I recorded was probably about 15 years ago with cassette and vhs, I remember taping Simon and Garfunkel on PBS in like 2001/02.
taped a lot of radio shows around the same time, I still have most of those tapes I think.

Never had floppy disc, didn't get a computer until 2003

Never had Minidisc either, totally missed out on that format sadly

Used to mess around with family home video cam, again 15+ years ago

I bought a pack of DVRs a while back but never seem to use them

PostPosted: 22 Apr 2017, 02:11 
True fan
True fan

I also use DVD-R's fairly regularly to make copies of movies and multi-channel music.

Edit:
That I own. :angel:

PostPosted: 22 Apr 2017, 09:37 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

laserdisc_fan wrote:
forper wrote:

You are funny but this is one thing I agree with. I am strictly Sony for portable players.
I still use my 2009 Sony Walkman X series which was light years ahead of Apple for sound and ease of use.

Yeah you see what a lot of sheep don't understand is that ipods were created by software engineers and product designers, not musicians or people that understood music.

Sony was partly founded by a classical music conductor. Sony understand music and even their compressed format (ATRAC) sounded good. MP3 was created by computer dorks who wanted to say they had 78,000,000 songs in their pocket, regardless of sound quality.

I have probably a dozen Sony portables and they vary but all sound decent. I HAVE heard that the best sounding MD portable was not made by Sony however. It was apparantly the Sharp AUVI marked portables. I still plan on procuring one one day to test the SQ out.

PostPosted: 23 Apr 2017, 00:51 
Honest fan
Honest fan

35mm film camera - coincidentally just a couple of weeks ago I dusted off a camera (Yashica T4) just to run some film through it. Haven't gotten my prints back yet

PostPosted: 24 Apr 2017, 14:57 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I recorded a DVD-R probably 5 years ago. The last 3,5" floppy disk I wrote to is probably 15 years ago. Got an USB floppy drive now that primarly will be used to copy content of the old diskettes I have laying around. I even have a functional 5,25" floppy drive as well, but I need the kit that Kryoflux is selling to make use of them on a modern computer.
I will be buying a Blu-Ray writer in the near future to write pictures and other useful stuff to the discs for daily use, as well as storing them on multiple storage drives after I have catalogued them and done some organizing.

PostPosted: 24 Apr 2017, 18:12 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Video Tape -> Probably around 2008/2009. I was still recording on S-VHS until that now. I was able to get a lot of S-VHS tapes for very cheap from someone
who wanted to get rid of them. I love S-VHS. It is perfect to record analogue TV on it !

Cassette -> Maybe around 2001. I recorded some songs for a girl at university I wanted to impress. I am interested in buying a cassette recorder though to play prerecorded tapes, especially
soundtracks that were never released on vinyl but were released on tape like many movies from the 90s.

Minidisc -> Never used this format.

DVD-R -> I still use it for a certain audio related purpose. However I find it very useless nowadays given that DVD-Rs do not last a long time and given the tremendous amount of
space present-day hard drives offer. What's the point ?

Conventional film -> Maybe 1993 ?

Floppy disk -> Around 2000. Sometimes i even I used to split a single MP3 file to 3 disks ! and give it to a friend at school. Ridiculous I know but the internet cost like 5 cent per minute
at that time in Germany and it was very slow.

PostPosted: 24 Apr 2017, 19:05 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

forper wrote:
Yeah you see what a lot of sheep don't understand is that ipods were created by software engineers and product designers, not musicians or people that understood music.

Does that explain the short life of the i-pod or did the sheep all just move to i-phones?

PostPosted: 26 Apr 2017, 10:27 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

audioboyz1973 wrote:
forper wrote:

Does that explain the short life of the i-pod or did the sheep all just move to i-phones?

No, it explains the long life of it (2001 to present) and yeah most sheep just use iphones now. And even more sheepishly use "ear pods" to listen to actual music! hahahaha

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ]