It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 01:46

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: Looking for Mini discs (blanks, pre-recorded , decks)
PostPosted: 29 Jun 2017, 08:11 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

Basically title.

I would love to find "Daft Punk: Homework" on the pre-recorded minidisc...but I don't have much hope lol

Other than that looking for blanks and maybe some decks. I just got a portable player for 6 bucks that I can hopefully repair, so let me know if you have any mini disc paraphernalia!

Post subject: Re: Looking for Mini discs (blanks, pre-recorded , decks)
PostPosted: 29 Jun 2017, 09:33 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

I've a few hundred pre-recorded mini-discs. Some quite rare now, especially the Japanese imports of western music.
I've also some spares that I picked up when the price was right.
My remaining wishlist is down to about 20 max and that's me done with minidisc but it was fun collecting them.

PostPosted: 29 Jun 2017, 10:24 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

That's cool, you got a list running around? Any blanks?

PostPosted: 29 Jun 2017, 16:52 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I needed some blanks recently so I bought a huge box of used ones from a friend. Don't be afraid of used MDs, they last forever as far as I can tell. Ebay sellers have lots of stuff for sale too. New ones are getting harder to find. I think Sony still makes one kind of blank but they are more expensive than they were when Best Buy stuff sold them and they are just the boring Niege cases anyway. For $10 a disc (!) you can have your choice of some of the more special looking JP discs. (Note that I said special *looking* since, aside from running time, all MDs sound the same.)

Prerecorded MDs are for collectors only. They don't sound any better than if you made them yourself, in fact if you were to make an MD copy of a CD/LD on late period equipment you'll have a better recording if than if Sony themselves released it since ATRAC encoder chips improved greatly over time, continuing years after the prerecorded MD market died off.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 29 Jun 2017, 17:33 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

I'm not scared of used discs. AT ALL my in fact I would prefer used discs given the price difference. I did find a reasonably cheap stock of brand new discs, but once again would prefer some cheaper used ones.

As far as pre-recorded media goes, I want very specific ones (daft punk being #1 on that list) so I'm not looking to get deep into those like I did LD. Just looking for some decent titles to have as when I was growing up with my minidisc player, I didn't realize there was pre-recorded media. I would like to own a few.

I found a prerecorded soundtrack to a movie a year ago at a thrift store, I'll have to dig it out and see what it was, but that was the first time I ever saw them and got all happy lol

PostPosted: 29 Jun 2017, 21:45 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I can probably spare some basic Sony blanks. Do you have anything to trade for them like anime LDs or 16-bit games? Obviously nothing major since an MD is worth like $2 or whatever.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 29 Jun 2017, 22:01 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

I'm looking for anime Ld's myself lol so no on that front. In regards to 16 bit games, I sure do, pm me

PostPosted: 30 Jun 2017, 12:23 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I have about 300 self recorded blanks from the 1990s, 7 portables, and a Sony JB980 QS deck. Got my first recorder in '97. I used to borrow Jpop CDs from my university's Japan club and dub them onto MD circa '98. Then there was a Jap convenience store in Sydney at the same time I used to rent Jpop CDs from and dub. Then I used to dub everything my friends had. MD was economical. I basically got thousands of dollars of material for the cost of my MD recorder and blanks. These days I still dub concet LDs onto the blanks I have left.

I have NO pre -recorded MDs, but I would like to own a couple just out of curiousity.

The utlimate was the emergence of Hi-MD. It was literally the best sound I have heard period. Better than my impressive home system. All portable with no BS offboard headphone amps, through Sony EX700 IEMs. Recorded all of my 20 Hi MDs in PCM only. Unbelievable SQ. Sold that during a spate of umployment. Got thousands for the player and discs but still regret letting it go. So f***ing good. Only comparable portable sound I have heard is my Sony D777 discman, with no G-protection. Raw and beautiful!

I tried an ipod in 2004, basically made me hate music and I threw it into a lake literally. It should not exits in this world.

I went back to MD/Hi MD for portable listening and even though ATRAC is compressed it's compression designed by people that understood music. It has KICK, and FEELING, unlike that compression algorithims like MP3 introduced by "lookit, I have 45,000 songs in my pocket" computer nerds who have NFI about MUSIC.

PostPosted: 06 Jul 2017, 00:47 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

Well my bargain minidisc player ceased to function, s**t back to square one

PostPosted: 06 Jul 2017, 00:48 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

signofzeta wrote:
I can probably spare some basic Sony blanks. Do you have anything to trade for them like anime LDs or 16-bit games? Obviously nothing major since an MD is worth like $2 or whatever.

You around?

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ]