It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 02:56

Page 7 of 14 [ 274 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: 1/5 Mamotte Shugogetten "Shaorin Shichiri" OVA Version
PostPosted: 04 Aug 2017, 09:25 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

The LDs were only released in Japan, so no English options. The set is a little bit uncommon. Comes up for sale once or twice every 6 months or so on Yahoo Auctions.

PostPosted: 04 Aug 2017, 17:41 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

samaron wrote:
The LDs were only released in Japan, so no English options. The set is a little bit uncommon. Comes up for sale once or twice every 6 months or so on Yahoo Auctions.

In that case, I guess there is no point for me to buy the LD set. My knowledge of Japanese language can be summed up in a few words: nada, zilch and rien (French for nothing).

The mangas I am working on collecting are Nichijou, Wandering Island, Twin Spica, Honey and Clover and Flying Witch with Mamotte Shugogetten being a new one. Fortunately, all 6 are in english.

It is amazing how fast a manga volume can be read. I average one hour per volume.
CED
934-54780150, 934.54810350, SJT-200, CED-1, 3-VIP1000, VIP201P

PostPosted: 05 Aug 2017, 15:35 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

i just began going through the T.V. Anime again, -that HK bootleg DVD set- and, (especially compared to the original Manga it is based upon) you honestly aren't missing much.

the Anime truly is quite inferior, a truly insipid dumbing-down of an "I Dream of Jeannie" -type original story that wasn't exactly Shakespeare to begin with,
merely a sort of "Ah! My Goddess Lite"

stick with the Manga; if it makes you an instant fan, or, if you really like the art or one of the characters especially, as i do,
then by all means pursue the Anime to add to your MS collection. otherwise, don't bother; it isn't really worth it...

PostPosted: 11 Aug 2017, 08:29 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

dumbchemist wrote:
samaron wrote:

In that case, I guess there is no point for me to buy the LD set.

Back in the day hardcore non-Japanese speaking anime fans would rely on episode by episode synopses in fanzines and later online.

My Japanese is serviceable but I still like to have a good synopsis on hand when watching raw LDs.

Luckily MAHQ exists for mecha stuff which is all I've really ever been into.

With the the exception of Mazakazu Katsuura based anime...

PostPosted: 11 Aug 2017, 12:37 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

An FYI:

I just received book 2 of the Shugogetten manga. What is interesting is that the book consists of volumes 3 and 4. Book 1, if I am right, should be volumes 1 and 2. Since there are 5 "books", there must be 10 volumes. I am kind of glad that they decided to do this as it makes it easier to store the paperbacks.
CED

PostPosted: 11 Sep 2017, 20:22 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I have books 1 and 2 (Volumes 1 to 4). I am expecting the remaining books this week or next week. Something to do when I am completely bored.
CED

PostPosted: 14 Sep 2017, 19:09 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I got books 3, 4 and 5 yesterday. They are volumes 5 to 10. Now to just take the time to read them and hope they can keep me interested.
CED

PostPosted: 15 Sep 2017, 15:57 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

the art is cute, and fairly detailed, -though often inconsistent- and the artist has some significant proportional issues,
but on the whole, while it is an O.K. "Ah! My Goddess Lite" the manga does have it's fair share if issues,
and it does indeed help smooth things along quite a bit to have a strong fancy for the main female character, just saying...

Post subject: "Liccarize" Cardcaptor Sakura Sakura Kinomoto 2017 ed.
PostPosted: 29 Oct 2017, 17:50 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

she showed up several days ago, and i couldn't help but start a bunch of improvements right off,
borrowing Yuki's old-type OBITSU 24 body, -a perfect match in skin tone!-
new gloves and stockings made from scratch, the originals being sized to fit the original TAKARA Licca body, itself much too short in actuality for Sakura's head, and looking far more proportionate
on a 24cm. OBITSU body.

also, her bonnet, as provided out of the box, WILL NOT FIT snugly to her head, so i reworked it with elastic lace to fit snugly and realistically.

she's pretty much finished now, i might remake the stockings once more, and soon as i can afford it next, both Sakura here and my Yuki Nagato will be getting a new-type 24cm. OBITSU.

also, since Yuki's bra, panties and socks are a fine match to Sakura here, i guess i'll have to make Yuki a new set soon...

Post subject: Shrine Maiden Shaorin♥
PostPosted: 08 Aug 2018, 15:19 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

here's a reworking of the Miko costume that came with the first Anime character doll i had ever gotten online,
the TSUKUDA HOBBY Sakura Wars "Sakura Shinguji" i got used/incomplete from an EBAY auction back around 2007.

being a very early TSUKUDA HOBBY Chara Doll, with the awful-looking 1st version of their 1/5ish doll body design,
- and, with an equally bad-looking, undersized head sculpt to match - Sakura wasn't much to shout about herself,
however, her Japanese Shrine Maiden costume was very nice all the same, and, with some added lace and a pair of Tabi Socks made from scratch to match,
the costume translated over to my TSUKUDA HOBBY Mamotte Shugogetten "Shaorin Shichiri"
- one of T. HOBBY's last, and best, Anime Dolls from their short-lived "Full Action Doll Series" 1996/1999 chara doll line - quite well indeed;

- Rework for Shaorin -

-Original Sakura Doll -

Post subject: Re: Shrine Maiden Shaorin♥
PostPosted: 25 Aug 2018, 10:24 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

The makeover is quite nice, you've pulled quite the feat! It really conveys the graphic style of 90s anime.
By the way, the sculpting style reminds me of some sort of ancestor to the Dollfie dolls.

Post subject: To Heart HMX-12 "Multi" (VOLKS Dollfie Series)
PostPosted: 01 Sep 2018, 18:32 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

this little sweetie just arrived,
part of VOLKS' pre-Super Dollfie late-90's/early-2000's 1/6 scale "Ultimate Figure Series/Dollfie" Anime-centered Character Doll line.

she has the same early VOLKS "Spring Spine" body as my other two UFS Dollfies,
Ah! My Goddess "Skuld" and Mamotte Shugogetten "Shaorin" except that her bust is flatter than either of those two girls'

she's got a nice set of cute cotton undies all ready for her, but otherwise, i've plenty of work cut out for me here,
getting her unfinished resin Ear-Antenna modules ready for her (she's an Android) and cleaning up excess seam fabric on her clothes and such...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multi_(To_Heart)

the fit of her sailor middy blouse was trued up around the collar some, and white ribbon added to the chest ribbon, for a little bit more accuracy towards it's original design;

Post subject: Re: Shrine Maiden Shaorin♥
PostPosted: 01 Sep 2018, 18:34 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Funny you should mention Ancestors to the VOLKS "Super Dollfie" line; To Heart HMX-12 "Multi" (VOLKS Dollfie Series)

Post subject: Re: To Heart HMX-12 "Multi" (VOLKS Dollfie Series)
PostPosted: 02 Sep 2018, 11:46 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Good work. I went to the Volks shop in Ikebukuro in 2001. I bought myself a first series Yamato VF-1J Hikaru in 1/60. That was a cool shop, the staff were gaijin friendly.

I was in awe of all the doll stuff I didn't understand and still don't. I'll bet those dollfie dolls were on the shelves there back then..I remember a lot of Hong Kong 1/6 military repro/fantasy stuff for sale in there too. Cooool stuff.

PostPosted: 02 Sep 2018, 16:07 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

funny you say, MACROSS/ROBOTECH was my own gateway into Anime.
in fact, i got the YAMATO 1/60 VF-1Av.1 Hikaru DYRL just as i came out in the U.S. back around 2001 myself, actually.

i would have rather had the -1J Hikaru or -1S Focker, but i had no internet of my own back then, -only off-and-on access via my grandma's place-
and thus only sporadic opportunity to visit MACROSS WORLD to keep up on current events.

in the end, i was only able to get a YAMATO 1/60 at all because i was making regular trips back to my hometown of PORTLAND, OR. at the time,
and there was a shop downtown that specialized in Japanese import toys that got the then-brand-new YAMATO MACROSS items in pretty much as they came out.

it was a heady time; i had just gotten the brand-new 1/60, then, in 2002, i found out -again via MACROSS WORLD- that the groundbreaking YAMATO 1/48s were coming,
and i was able to pre-order the first two, -DYRL Hikaru -1A and Focker -1S- from that same shop in downtown PORTLAND.

i wanted to attempt to continue collecting what was, -at the time to me- certain to be THE penultimate MACROSS VF-1 toy series,
but things went south for me soon thereafter, and i wasn't back on my feet again until 2007 or so.

by then i FINALLY had my own internet. that shop in PORTLAND was long gone, and by the time i began considering catching up on the 1/48s,
the 1/60v.II dropped, and my first, and instant new standard bearer in VF-1 toys, was the Hikaru VF-1J T.V.

by then, i was no longer able to consider pursuing an entire line of $100.00+ toys, but i could afford favorites,
-and had ultimately decided that completeness of collection was largely for the birds anyway-
so i grabbed the 1/60v.II DYRL -1S Focker, and then began to concentrate on looking backward,
adding vintage/retro VF-1 items to my collection of favorites,
-stuff i drooled over back around 2000 or so during the tail-end of the pre-YAMATO MACROSS days-
such as the VF-1J Hikaru T.V. in both 1/72 HCM and BANDAI 1/55 reissue form.

then, YAMATO dropped the MACROSS 7 line, and, with the BANDAI 1/100 VF-19S being one of my early MACROSS items back in 1996,
i HAD to have YAMATO's 1/60 Kanzen Henkei treatment of it.
i waited a year or two, and was able to find them for around $175 shipped. i got two units, that's how fond i am of the -19S.

in the meantime YAMATO essentially became ARCADIA and in 2014 was ready to release the MACROSS PLUS YF-19 1/60v.II,
and i HAD to have one, $250/$275 for one, singular MACROSS item be damned.

today, in 2018, BANDAI seems prepared to trounce all of YAMATO/ARCADIA's previous VF-1 efforts in one decisive move,
with their brand-new DX CHOGOKIN 1/48 VF-1J Hikaru T.V. due our this Dec. as a special pre-order release,
with a general-release edition to follow in 2019.

so, the VF-1 toy merry-go-round is not over, at least not for me. i may not be able to get one of these new BANDAI 1/48s for myself, but i will certainly try...

PostPosted: 03 Sep 2018, 11:15 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Wow that's a lotta VF-1s! Epic story.

I lived in the US '82 to '85 as a kid and caught Robotech on TV there. Changed my world for the rest of my life, cried when the show ended. I remember seeing the Takatoku valks in San Francisco Chinatown in '85 and lusting after Jetfire in Toys R Us. I got Jetfire for Christmas, even at 7 years old I knew what it really was (well I thought it was a Veritech haha), my first valk tho, VF-1S..

My next Valk was that Hikaru 1J in Volks as a student..then during my return to Japan to work I got into some of the 1/48s from Japan Toys R Us (Full circle?) They were truly AWESOME toys as you know, so substantial yet refined, the Takatokus had to be about 1/56 in comparison??

When the v2 1/60s came out it I changed course again, and collected a small DYRL? themed set about 5 years ago. I'm pretty satisfied. I'd still like a VF-1A CF with GBP-1 armor one day (I think it shows up in the background in DYRL? somewhere) and a version 2 Elint Seeker (have a version 1)

btw I'm banned from Macrossworld for daring to question the agreed canon there (I'm not a Kawamori zealot and question the direction he's taken the franchise in. I prefer the strict BW canon)

PostPosted: 03 Sep 2018, 16:24 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

yeah, i too was Banned from MW... but i suppose i had it coming,
what with some of the frustrated, cynical jokes i used to make around there back then, among other things.

i do miss the Buyer's/Seller's market very much, but i suppose i don't miss the strict, cultist attitude that tends to permeate the place.

i've been largely priced right out of MACROSS merchandise... and excommunicated from it's prime Western fanbase...
and i almost damned near took that as a rather direct hint to move on in life...
but i'm still here, still a MACROSS fan, a fan for 25+ years now, so i ain't giving up on it anytime soon.

oh, well, since the thread has been derailed real good, back on topic, i suppose;

improved her overall a good bit; a tighter, more realistic fit around the collar of her Sailor blouse,
and the buttons on the upper thighs of her stockings, they've been symmetrically repositioned;

PostPosted: 03 Sep 2018, 16:30 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Damn, I was priced out of the original Takatoku macross toys when they were hitting 500+ for Valkyries, I knew it was time to cash in then.

The collectors were too crazy about the pure white on toys that were 20 years old at the time.

PostPosted: 03 Sep 2018, 18:39 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

indeed. it IS Frustrating.

the state of the art in scale model-like VF-1 toys just keeps improving by leaps and bounds,
but then there's those pesky-ass runaway prices to consider, and, well...

back on topic; i'll HAVE to be adding one of these to my collection ASAP;

PostPosted: 03 Sep 2018, 19:19 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

OK so did you get the mech ears fixed or you still need to do that??
I read early on but don't see any pictures so I assume that you didn't get them done yet.

And since her hair is a little spiky you may want to use some type of glue or hair gel to make that spike, to me its a little too thin and full
in a way.

But from seeing your other stuff I know you will get her right. :thumbup:

Page 7 of 14 [ 274 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 14  Next