It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 14:34

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Cleaned my VHS player found this part corroded!
PostPosted: 10 Aug 2017, 17:31 
I removed the top cover and noticed that my VHS had some surface corrosion or maybe something had fried on the left side metal plate seen in both pictures.
Where I have highlighted with arrows and a round circle I also see some brown spots on some soldering spots on PCB board.
What is the corroded or burned layer on the metal cover back of my player.
I don't think it's the tuner for aerial cables, this metal cover is soemthing else I don't know what it is for?
Do we have any skilled tech guys for VHS players who can explain to me what happened with the rusted area?

I cleaned the tape head, audio head, eraser head and the tape mechanism with Isopropanol alcohol used for tape heads.
I also de-magnetized my player with a DeFluxer - VMP EMAG MkII
This de-magnetizer was manufactured in West Germany back in the 80's, unit looks like an electric toothbrush with a tilting tip covered in grey rubber to protect sensitive parts from scratches.

Please see scroll down to see both pics and let me know why the corrosion is?
Thanks

http://imgur.com/a/15FJe

Post subject: Re: Cleaned my VHS player found this part corroded!
PostPosted: 11 Aug 2017, 01:12 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Looks bad.

PostPosted: 11 Aug 2017, 11:40 
player is still working 100% w/o problems

PostPosted: 12 Aug 2017, 16:21 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

i dunno, just looks like some very localized corrosion to me. maybe something had fallen in the ventilation grating to rest there?

also, it probably is the TUNER PCB. could be the HEAD AMP, but it's proximity to the COAX I/Os strongly suggests the former...

PostPosted: 12 Aug 2017, 20:24 
the corroded metal part is not placed under the ventilation seen from top cover.
I don't think any liquid had spilled through the vents on top cover coz the corroded part is on the end of the metal panel.

I have troubles with the coax and tuner, when I zap through the TV-channels on my VCR, picture is best described like it's being scrambled and distorted!!
I think a capacitor had gone bad or maybe something else causing problems viewing the TV-channels.

TV broadcasting picture shows instability like it's distorted sideways ( see a vertical pole in picture and the pole is bent sideways like watching scrambled pay per view channels)
Something is wrong with my tuner.
I have bought a parts video player hoping to scavenge the tuner box from it fitting it to my other player.

I bought my JVC HR-S7500 back in 1998, this player has the broken tv-tuner.
I have bought a used JVC HR-S6600, this player was sold in 1999.
Do you think JVC made any design upgrade between both tuners from 1998 vs 1999 or can I just swap from the donor to my sick player?

My JVC HR-S7500 work flawless on playback tapes, it's only the tuner part which has gone bad.
Picture quality is still great when playing new VHS movies with block buster movies.
I don't play x-rental tapes filled with grime, only new factory sealed tapes.

Now I have 4x JVC S-VHS players

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]