It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 12:41

Page 2 of 2 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Say goodbye to the CD jewel case.
PostPosted: 10 Nov 2017, 20:30 
True fan
True fan

dumbchemist wrote:
sjoerg wrote:
At my local flea market there was a booth selling dvds with no case as such, simply the disc and cover art label in a plastic sleeve, anybody else encounter these?

Personally, I would steer clear of them. Those DVD's are more than likely bootleg copies. If you were to buy one, nothing would happen. The seller on the other hand is risking his neck, I prefer to buy my DVD's and BR's from a reputable seller like Amazon.

That is pretty much what I had assumed they were, never bought one myself, only slight intrique as to what the quality/content of the disc, years ago a friend got a bootleg copy of star wars episode 3 before official release, I think it was a Chinese bootleg if I remember, that one did come with a CD Jewel case ironically.

PostPosted: 10 Nov 2017, 22:40 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

sjoerg wrote:
dumbchemist wrote:
sjoerg wrote:
At my local flea market there was a booth selling dvds with no case as such, simply the disc and cover art label in a plastic sleeve, anybody else encounter these?

Personally, I would steer clear of them. Those DVD's are more than likely bootleg copies. If you were to buy one, nothing would happen. The seller on the other hand is risking his neck, I prefer to buy my DVD's and BR's from a reputable seller like Amazon.

That is pretty much what I had assumed they were, never bought one myself, only slight intrique as to what the quality/content of the disc, years ago a friend got a bootleg copy of star wars episode 3 before official release, I think it was a Chinese bootleg if I remember, that one did come with a CD Jewel case ironically.

That is funny as I have the VCD's of 2001. The 3 VCD's came in a 4 CD jewel case. It is unusual that VCD's would come in jewel cases since they are suppose to be very cheaply made.

I forgot to mention that the VCD's were made by Warner Bros.
CED
934-54780150, 934.54810350, SJT-200, CED-1, 3-VIP1000, VIP201P

PostPosted: 11 Nov 2017, 07:48 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

dumbchemist wrote:
It is unusual that VCD's would come in jewel cases since they are suppose to be very cheaply made.

?I have never seen a VCD that didn't come in a jewel case?

PostPosted: 11 Nov 2017, 08:16 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

1990s Philippines ones came in a plastic sleeve with a printed insert, from what I recall.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 11 Nov 2017, 12:19 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Let me retract my statement about VCD's rarely coming in jewel cases.

I should have said that the odds that VCD's come in jewel cases is about 50%. i am saying that you may or may not get a jewel case with any VCD you order. It is the luck of the draw.
CED
934-54780150, 934.54810350, SJT-200, CED-1, 3-VIP1000, VIP201P

PostPosted: 12 Nov 2017, 01:57 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

The environment issue has a bit to do with the demise.

For a while now (& only after a bit of pushing to some extent) the use of plastic will be winding down on most media & other packing.

It is not really a cost issue though there will be a cost variation & that may favour the bigger players in the market in the long term.

One of the major problems appears to be the retailers, for them the issue of retail display & pre-sale handling - the plastic ones are easy to stack/pack/store/display with storage conditions not of great concern but the newer paper/card/fibre type should be up to the job but we may have to handle them with a little more care.

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2017, 15:59 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

What about digipak? Typical way of releasing limited editions of albums. Much more sturdy and won't break as easily in the mail. Made of paperboard and less plastic, more environment friendly if you ask me. I can see the reason of dropping jewel case entirely.
Many eBay sellers are cutting costs with just selling the used disc itself, and charge you extra if you want the casing.

PostPosted: 05 Dec 2017, 23:02 
Third post and above
Third post and above

It really depends on the production costs while producing the C.D. as well as is the product that you purchased something that would be up for demand? Is the item you purchased something that would be considered the company would make profit on? Or is it a low key/obscure item that using jewel cases or have not been beneficial to the company. A company that has the funds to include the jewel cases will most likely use it versus others that know only a limited amount would be sold.

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2018, 20:54 
True fan
True fan

When I had a ton of CD titles to sell on eBay I used to offer the option of just sending the disc and the inserts to save on postage costs. Two or more jewel cased CDs costs at least £2.90 2nd class to post. Reduce the size and you can send several for just £1.22.

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2018, 22:17 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

daro2096 wrote:
When I had a ton of CD titles to sell on eBay I used to offer the option of just sending the disc and the inserts to save on postage costs. Two or more jewel cased CDs costs at least £2.90 2nd class to post. Reduce the size and you can send several for just £1.22.

If you do not mind me asking did many people did go for for the cheaper post cost option?

Perhaps just me but I would like to receive the item as it was issued (or as close as possible) & would rather pay the £ or 2 extra in postage.

Cheers,

John

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2018, 01:03 
True fan
True fan

Yes, many did. Discs were in protective sleeves. And postage was under a pound for one CD. Jewel CD cases are easy to buy afterwards especially in bulk. Besides most cases usually are broken or scratched to hell after a trip through the post.

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2018, 22:56 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Thanks for that daro2096

A friend regularly buys around a dozen or so CDs at a time sent minus the cases (after being offered the option by the seller) & does save some money on the postage, must mount up over time as he is a regular buyer - he is happy with the deals. The sellers send most if not all of the paper inserts from the discs but most of them end up in the bin with the track listings only kept I think by him.

Don't know why but I like stuff as it was released but after saying that I have had to replace quite a few cases, damaged or the ones that go cloudy as the years pass & the cases are so cheap to buy, perhaps time to rethink but I don't buy many CDs now.

Might be an age thing also with me (over 55+ but don't tell anyone!!) as most people I know that are younger (30ish or below) appear to have their "music collections" on drives or the like, my son has very few CDs but has access to whatever he wants on his devices. Same with blu-rays & DVDs for him & most of his friends are the same - is physical media on the way out with the young ones as it looks that way when looking at physical sales next to downloads.

There is quite a jump in postage costs on anything that does not fit through the little slot at the UK Post Office so I do get it when buying regularly in numbers.

Take care.

Thanks again.

John

PostPosted: 16 Jan 2018, 04:41 
True fan
True fan

I always sent the back insert as well as the front when I did that. Mind you when it comes to DVDs and BDs I always send the case.

Page 2 of 2 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2