Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: DUNKIRK 4K CHRISTOPHER NOLAN 2017 RELEASE
PostPosted: 28 Dec 2017, 01:48 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Good Day to the membership,

A few Days ago I purchased and received 2 4K Blu-Ray Movies;

One of which was 2017's Christopher Nolan's ''DUNKIRK''

In this present world of movie mediocrity and other matters besides, I found this to be a profound experience & one of sobriety.

The three / Four stories that were all linked to those pivotal events ''against the clock in time'' in our recent history were completely & respectfully captured.

Ships that were used were real. A number of the last remaining small ships were real, and the airplanes were real.
The above detail was captured and fully expressed on the separate included disc.

The picture was filmed in over 75 % IMAX 70 mil, and many firsts were accomplished here.

The degree of the director's and the huge supporting team and cast, stand ins involvement in turn gained comradery was profound.

Picture and sound throughout I personally thought was exceptional, & the soundtrack also captured the intensity.

This movie for me was far reaching and struck at one's heart to never give up and to endure at all costs.

I will say that I was captivated from the start and emotionally invested, and felt as thou I was there.

If this content is for you then Please invest without hesitation.

My kindest Regards to everyone and my sincerest Hope is that you are all well.

P.S Put it this way whilst typing this I am on my second viewing in one night.

Attachments:
DUNKIRK 4K 2017.JPG
DUNKIRK 4K 2017.JPG [ 9.48 KiB | Viewed 1734 times ]

Post subject: Re: DUNKIRK 4K CHRISTOPHER NOLAN 2017 RELEASE
PostPosted: 30 Dec 2017, 05:25 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Hello benmbe,

A most fantastic review of Nolan's epic creation !
So glad you embraced this well done period film. Nolan has added to his credible reputation as a top class director.

What an interesting early chapter from WWII. Many theories abound regarding why German forces did not finish off those servicemen. Boils down to a big mistake on the part of the German High Command.
This event translated into a moral victory for the allies which can be more far reaching then a decisive victory, history has shown this time and time again.

Let us not forget that thousands of troops were taken prisoner even though many were liberated from that beach.

German troops took such heavy losses in their initial push through Belgium and France that they were over taxed with exhaustion and simply ordered to stand down and resupply instead of finishing off the enemy trapped at Dunkirk.
Dr. Victor Davis Hanson has several lectures on YouTube that refer specifically to Dunkirk as well as his entire summation about WWII in general.
Check him out.

Cheers,

J

PostPosted: 31 Dec 2017, 01:12 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

I bought my copy on day one! It is so far the best 4K UHD title I own among 91 others. It has the best video (flawless) and audio representation of this film. The film may not be everyone's cup of tea. If you expect something like Saving Private Ryan, it is not it but it's not The Thin Red Line either. I think its somewhere in between the two but a more artsy and close to The Thin Red Line in that respect. I really enjoy Hoyte Van Hoytema's camera work. Nolan started collaborating with Hoytema since Interstellar and his movies have elevated a large margin. It is one of those movies which you can freeze frame each frame, print on a canvas and hang on your wall as an artwork. This 4K UHD disc does a great job demonstrating these frames.

Some people complain about the changing aspect ratio but I like it. Some scenes are really cinematic in scope but other scenes ask for a taller aspect ratio. Nolan/Hoytema used different cameras to capture this film, each with different ratios ranging from Imax 1.43(and 1.90:1) to 65mm 2.20:1. The Director supervised UHD version shows the film in dynamic aspect ratio ranging from 1.78:1 to 2.20:1 according to the cameras used, Imax and 65 Panavision respectively. Another radical decision was to use DTS-HD MA 5.1 instead of immersive surround sound formats Dolby Atmos or DTS X. Online reviewers claim this was Nolan's decision. I don't have a way to confirm but I can tell you the soundtrack is phenomenal. I could already within the first 5 minutes it had insane dynamic range. There were many fly over shots with the fighter planes which I though height surrounds on a DTS X or Atmos soundtrack could better mimic but oh well. Let me better explain the quality of the soundtrack for you. This is one 4K UHD disc Laserbite34 would keep and not throw in the cat litter:)

PostPosted: 31 Dec 2017, 09:15 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Anything done in 2017 will be terrible. Good luck wasting your money. I picked up a DVD of The Wild Geese for $4, a truly good war film.

PostPosted: 31 Dec 2017, 10:46 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

forper wrote:
Anything done in 2017 will be terrible. Good luck wasting your money. I picked up a DVD of The Wild Geese for $4, a truly good war film.

Now that is a film you have extremely good impeccable taste in Laserdisc and DVD formats. Tell me does your "The Wild Geese" have a stereo mix? I read that London premiere had a 4-track stereo mag release. I guess the release I saw at the local Gaumont screen 1 cinerama curve would have been a mono optical mix.

I heard a version on youtube and its stereo matrix.

The LD NTSC pressing is tempting for an upgrade
Wild Geese, The (1978) [7691-80]

PostPosted: 01 Jan 2018, 01:49 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

laserbite34 wrote:
forper wrote:

Now that is a film you have extremely good impeccable taste in Laserdisc and DVD formats. Tell me does your "The Wild Geese" have a stereo mix? I read that London premiere had a 4-track stereo mag release. I guess the release I saw at the local Gaumont screen 1 cinerama curve would have been a mono optical mix.

I heard a version on youtube and its stereo matrix.

The LD NTSC pressing is tempting for an upgrade
Wild Geese, The (1978) [7691-80]

I don't know it says it has "Dobly Digital 5.1" on the box. It sounds okay to me, but it's not really a movie I'd be obsessed with regarding sound. It's more about old guys with uzis killing hordes of Nazi and Cuban trained soldiers.

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]