It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 13:33

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 
 Post subject: Where to track DVD collection?
PostPosted: 10 Feb 2018, 05:50 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

I have searched the forum and didnt find any answers as to where I can track my DVD collection. What do you guys use?

Post subject: Re: Where to track DVD collection?
PostPosted: 10 Feb 2018, 08:08 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

ssg402 wrote:
I have searched the forum and didnt find any answers as to where I can track my DVD collection. What do you guys use?

There used to be a separate program that let you do that and with a much bigger database, but it was really cumbersome to use so I just use http://www.filmaf.com/ instead. It's missing a lot of international releases so I just add the closest equivalent.

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2018, 18:06 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

DVD profiler is what I use and it works great. Also tracks BDs and you can upload it to their website only if you pay for the program.

PostPosted: 21 Feb 2018, 14:33 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I use 3 spreadsheets for keeping track of my movies. One spreadsheet is for laserdiscs. It is where I track the LD names, condition, surround sound and format (widescreen, CAV, CLV. or letter box) of my LD's. The second spreadsheet is for tracking my CED's. I record on it the titles, any with more than 1 disc, whether the disc is in stereo, condition (new or used) and rarity. The last spreadsheet lists all the movie titles and what format(s) (VHS, CED, HD-DVD, VCD, DVD, BD, UHD or LD) the movie is recorded on. This last spreadsheet is where I go when I find a movie I might want to buy. Occasionally, I print out the 3 spreadsheets so I have a hard copy to refer to.

Currently, I am at 860 movies recorded on 8 different formats.
CED
934-54780150, 934.54810350, SJT-200, CED-1, 3-VIP1000, VIP201P

PostPosted: 19 Jun 2018, 20:54 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

It turns out you can track DVDs on Blu-ray.com, so I will be tracking from there.

PostPosted: 21 Jun 2018, 01:23 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

dumbchemist wrote:
I use 3 spreadsheets for keeping track of my movies. One spreadsheet is for laserdiscs. It is where I track the LD names, condition, surround sound and format (widescreen, CAV, CLV. or letter box) of my LD's. The second spreadsheet is for tracking my CED's. I record on it the titles, any with more than 1 disc, whether the disc is in stereo, condition (new or used) and rarity. The last spreadsheet lists all the movie titles and what format(s) (VHS, CED, HD-DVD, VCD, DVD, BD, UHD or LD) the movie is recorded on. This last spreadsheet is where I go when I find a movie I might want to buy. Occasionally, I print out the 3 spreadsheets so I have a hard copy to refer to.

What, no U-Matic? ;)

PostPosted: 21 Jun 2018, 02:52 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

takeshi666 wrote:
dumbchemist wrote:

What, no U-Matic? ;)

Laserdiscs today play new and LD players function perfectly ! ...Sony garbage gear (U-matic,beta sp,ed beta) is dead....no reliability,

no parts,no clean playback, 100% broken units on ebay...Junk ! .....Laserdisc format is better than Betacam sp and S-VHS machines

are way better than ED Betas.....finally Sony on his Video8 and Hi8 adopted the JVC tape load system...

PostPosted: 21 Jun 2018, 16:36 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

No need to be such a negative nanny about it. There's working gear out there, you just need to look for it - outside of ebay if necessary.

But yeah, U-Matic would be a rather pointless thing to collect since it never had any commercial releases, so the only content you will find is industrial, professional or amateur/hobbyist content.

In the other hand, you could probably make some money converting other people's tapes to another, more modern format.

PostPosted: 22 Jun 2018, 23:20 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

i visited some Broadcast stores out off ebay, no one sell brand new Betacam sp decks, only used with limited warranty ( the limited warranty is cause they know they were equipments with a build quality intended to intensive use along with daily Betacam service technicians on tv stations; i remember their orange jackets with Betacam logo on)

yes my friend, Betacam magnetos are the first ones to die forever, i lost my money on a last attempt but no more...just say this for info purposes; S-VHS not as good but still alive and kicking

PostPosted: 21 Jul 2018, 14:56 
Third post and above
Third post and above

takeshi666 wrote:
ssg402 wrote:

There used to be a separate program that let you do that and with a much bigger database, but it was really cumbersome to use so I just use http://www.filmaf.com/ instead. It's missing a lot of international releases so I just add the closest equivalent.

im a qualified library assistant and have all my dvds in A_Z order on index cards but they are stored numerically starting from 001 i also have them cross referenced to directors/producers/actors/genre/film studio and release history from 35mm and 70mm to bluray covering every format a film was released in including release dates and all special editions etc on dvd and blu ray
took me six months to do this but worth the effort of doing so

PostPosted: 04 Sep 2018, 20:31 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Having just read Julien's interview I understand not wanting to let "feature creep" impact things. It was a very interesting read & totally amazes me as a new member that he is doing all of this on his own. Still, I'd like to echo the OP's need for a place to keep everything in 1 pile (list). If I could just add my DVDs & Blu-ray disks here by clicking on a logo like you can with CED & HD-DVD, I would be happy. (not that I'm not happy now... I love that I found this site! :). No need to generate lots of database information, just as long as I can pull up my collection & see (and filter) All, Blu-ray, DVD etc.

Also, as Julien mentioned, some parts of the LDDB have begun to slow down. It would seem a natural extension to slowly start including more DVD & Blu-Ray involvement and inclusion in a person's collection seems like the first logical step.

Thanks everyone for the suggested alternatives. I have one question as I started looking at my DVD's & within the 1st 10 there were 2 that had no obvious trace of a reference # on the spine. For example, "The Social Network" 2 disk set I have. (perhaps was on an outside sleeve that I didn't get with my used set?) ...or "Once Upon a time in Mexico" I found what may be a reference #, but it was on an insert on the proof of purchase tab needed for some mail-in offer. How are you defining a unique identifier for these?

Thanks!

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ]