It is currently 17 Oct 2018, 03:38




 Page 3 of 5 [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Picture quality scale by format
PostPosted: 13 Mar 2018, 22:28 
True fan
True fan
User avatar

Joined: 27 Jun 2014, 07:12
Posts: 420
Location: France
Has thanked: 46 times
Been thanked: 2 times
CED
Vcd
Video 8
Video 2000
VHD
Vhs -------- Beta
Video Hi8
S-vhs
Digital 8 mini DV
ED-beta
Laserdisc -------- W-Vhs
DVD
Laserdisc Hi-Vision
D-Vhs D-Theater
HD DVD --------- Bluray
Bluray HDR
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Picture quality scale by format
PostPosted: 13 Mar 2018, 23:18 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan
User avatar

Joined: 16 Jun 2015, 15:40
Posts: 558
Location: Australia
Has thanked: 19 times
Been thanked: 15 times
ertoili wrote:
Do you consider the LD on better scale position than W-Vhs ?


ertoili wrote:
LD works great on proyectors coupled with the best digiplayers, better than a 1035i W-Vhs? I'm trying to know that....maybe yes


No. I'd say on my experience that you had W-VHS in the right spot.

(If anything closer to DVD than LD.)
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Picture quality scale by format
PostPosted: 14 Mar 2018, 04:03 
True fan
True fan
User avatar

Joined: 27 Jun 2014, 07:12
Posts: 420
Location: France
Has thanked: 46 times
Been thanked: 2 times
...last updates ;

CED (worst)
Vcd
Video 8
Video 2000
VHD
Vhs
Beta
Vhs SQPB
Super Beta
Video Hi8
S-Vhs
Ed-Beta
Laserdisc
W-Vhs
DVD
Laserdisc HiVision
mini DV
D-Vhs D-Theater
HD DVD
Bluray
Bluray HDR (Best)
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Picture quality scale by format
PostPosted: 16 Mar 2018, 02:00 
Site Admin
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: 07 Aug 2002, 23:37
Posts: 2086
Location: APAC
Has thanked: 65 times
Been thanked: 89 times
One missing (sort of, if you consider it a "commercial" format)!

Where would HDVS (uncompressed Hi-Vision) stand on the list?

Between Hi-Vision and HD DVD?

Julien
_________________
LDDb on Facebook!
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Picture quality scale by format
PostPosted: 16 Mar 2018, 23:53 
True fan
True fan
User avatar

Joined: 27 Jun 2014, 07:12
Posts: 420
Location: France
Has thanked: 46 times
Been thanked: 2 times
CED (worst)
Vcd
Video 8
Video 2000
VHD
Vhs
Beta
Vhs SQPB
Super Beta
Video Hi8
S-Vhs
Ed-Beta
Laserdisc
W-Vhs
Sony HDVS
DVD
Laserdisc HiVision
mini DV
D-Vhs D-Theater
HD DVD
Bluray
Bluray HDR (Best


Last edited by ertoili on 17 Mar 2018, 02:10, edited 1 time in total.
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Picture quality scale by format
PostPosted: 16 Mar 2018, 23:57 
True fan
True fan
User avatar

Joined: 27 Jun 2014, 07:12
Posts: 420
Location: France
Has thanked: 46 times
Been thanked: 2 times
I think it is a pretty informative and accurate list we have done here for retro fans
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Picture quality scale by format
PostPosted: 17 Mar 2018, 01:07 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight
User avatar

Joined: 03 May 2004, 19:05
Posts: 4808
Location: United States
Has thanked: 22 times
Been thanked: 49 times
I have to disagree with the placement of CED, while its not an amazing format it is NOT the worst, I've owned it and also VCD and I have also owned Hi8 and Hi8 was an amazing format, even better than SVHS with recording of broadcast TV and playback.
Really can't figure out how or where you get your information from.
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Picture quality scale by format
PostPosted: 17 Mar 2018, 02:13 
True fan
True fan
User avatar

Joined: 27 Jun 2014, 07:12
Posts: 420
Location: France
Has thanked: 46 times
Been thanked: 2 times
..ok....

Vcd (worst)
CED
Video 8
Video 2000
VHD
Vhs
Beta
Vhs SQPB
Super Beta
S-Vhs
Video Hi8
Ed-Beta
Laserdisc
W-Vhs
Sony HDVS
DVD
Laserdisc HiVision
mini DV
D-Vhs D-Theater
HD DVD
Bluray
Bluray HDR (Best
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Picture quality scale by format
PostPosted: 17 Mar 2018, 03:44 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight
User avatar

Joined: 03 May 2004, 19:05
Posts: 4808
Location: United States
Has thanked: 22 times
Been thanked: 49 times
While I still don't really agree with the above I guess its more of a fantasy and for fun.
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Picture quality scale by format
PostPosted: 17 Mar 2018, 05:14 
True fan
True fan
User avatar

Joined: 23 Jun 2013, 02:37
Posts: 502
Location: Germany
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 2 times
elahrairrah wrote:
Yeah, VCD was just a mess of a format--more for convenience than anything else.

I was glad to have the capability to play them back when I visited Hong Kong so many times when I was in the Navy. There were so many movies I wanted to see, but didn't want to empty my bank account getting the LDs (remember this was 1994-1997 so LDs were NOT cheap by any means back then.) VCDs at HMV and Tower Records were so damn affordable, so it was a no brainer to get those if I wanted to grab a stack of movies.

I think the best looking VCD I have is The Rock. I'll see if I can get any decent still images from that one.


That was very interesting to read, elahrairrah. I guess you were there when Hong Kong was still a British Crown Colony ?

The VCDs that were released in Europe for the CD-i console look much better than many Asian VCDs. The sound is pretty good on those and it looked OK at that time on a small size TV. I still collect those Video CDs whenever I can find them because the packaging looks nice and because they are nice collectibles in my opinion.
Many Asian VCDs look really bad but some are OK like the Hong Kong VCD of the film The Hero ( Zhang Yimou ). That is the best looking VCD I have ever seen. If the quality looks like that it is acceptable, especially because many lesser known Hong Kong films from the 90s were released on Video CD and Laserdisc only ! I like the format. It doesn't look very good but I had many hours of fun watching it during my time in Macau.
_________________
Pioneer HLD-X0 with Sony MSC-3000 MUSE decoder.

Pioneer CLD-D925 for PAL discs.
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Picture quality scale by format
PostPosted: 17 Mar 2018, 05:55 
Site Admin
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: 07 Aug 2002, 23:37
Posts: 2086
Location: APAC
Has thanked: 65 times
Been thanked: 89 times
admin wrote:
Between Hi-Vision and HD DVD?


Wrong insert! Clearly better than DVD :-)

W-Vhs
Sony HDVS
DVD
Laserdisc HiVision
mini DV

I'd move it ahead of Hi-Vision since it's uncompressed RGB 1K Hi-Vision.

Julien
_________________
LDDb on Facebook!
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Picture quality scale by format
PostPosted: 17 Mar 2018, 20:28 
True fan
True fan
User avatar

Joined: 27 Jun 2014, 07:12
Posts: 420
Location: France
Has thanked: 46 times
Been thanked: 2 times
Vcd (worst)
CED
Video 8
Video 2000
VHD
Vhs
Beta
Vhs SQPB
Super Beta
S-Vhs
Video Hi8
Ed-Beta
Laserdisc
W-Vhs
DVD
Sony HDVS
Laserdisc HiVision
mini DV
D-Vhs D-Theater
HD DVD
Bluray
Bluray HDR (Best)

Done ! ...but Sony HDVS analog videos of YouTube (cause is the only info I ve found
including tech specs) are pretty bad compared to a DVD imho

HDVS is a 1980 1000 line analog video...I think is worst than DVD but dunno exactly
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Picture quality scale by format
PostPosted: 17 Mar 2018, 20:36 
True fan
True fan
User avatar

Joined: 27 Jun 2014, 07:12
Posts: 420
Location: France
Has thanked: 46 times
Been thanked: 2 times
Rein-o...of course it is for entertainment but informative too! Nissling is the expert

We could conclude that digital video even on SD resolution DVD (mpg-2 , mpg-4 xvid)
has no competition showing a crystal clear progressive frame


Last edited by ertoili on 17 Mar 2018, 20:46, edited 2 times in total.
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Picture quality scale by format
PostPosted: 17 Mar 2018, 20:44 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight
User avatar

Joined: 03 May 2004, 19:05
Posts: 4808
Location: United States
Has thanked: 22 times
Been thanked: 49 times
ertoili wrote:
Rein-o...of course it is for entertainment but informative too! Waiting for Nissling opinion he is a retro expert

LOL Possibly but did he own an S-VHS or Hi8 deck or camcorder back in 1991.........

Having experience with products like this when they were coming out and using them is one thing.
Knowing the specs is a totally other situation that may not be worth the risk.
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Picture quality scale by format
PostPosted: 17 Mar 2018, 20:49 
True fan
True fan
User avatar

Joined: 27 Jun 2014, 07:12
Posts: 420
Location: France
Has thanked: 46 times
Been thanked: 2 times
People use these old equipments today through digital receivers...that is a trick !
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Picture quality scale by format
PostPosted: 17 Mar 2018, 20:53 
True fan
True fan
User avatar

Joined: 27 Jun 2014, 07:12
Posts: 420
Location: France
Has thanked: 46 times
Been thanked: 2 times
I have a collection of CRT TV's....so I play them like the day they came out

Post here your list from worst to best
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Picture quality scale by format
PostPosted: 17 Mar 2018, 21:08 
Jedi Initiate
Jedi Initiate
User avatar

Joined: 30 Aug 2005, 15:38
Posts: 2958
Location: Pennsylvania
Has thanked: 16 times
Been thanked: 15 times
confederate wrote:
That was very interesting to read, elahrairrah. I guess you were there when Hong Kong was still a British Crown Colony ?

The VCDs that were released in Europe for the CD-i console look much better than many Asian VCDs. The sound is pretty good on those and it looked OK at that time on a small size TV. I still collect those Video CDs whenever I can find them because the packaging looks nice and because they are nice collectibles in my opinion.
Many Asian VCDs look really bad but some are OK like the Hong Kong VCD of the film The Hero ( Zhang Yimou ). That is the best looking VCD I have ever seen. If the quality looks like that it is acceptable, especially because many lesser known Hong Kong films from the 90s were released on Video CD and Laserdisc only ! I like the format. It doesn't look very good but I had many hours of fun watching it during my time in Macau.

Thank you for reading!

Yes, I was in the Navy and visited HK 5 times when I was stationed over in Japan. The last visit was a mere 2 weeks before Handover!

That's interesting about the Euro VCDs. All of mine are from Asian countries.

And indeed, back then, while I did also have an LD player, I wasn't big into home theater just yet. So a quantity over quality mentality was in my mind at the time. Glad I did or I wouldn't have been able to see some really great HK films like Chow Yun Fat's lesser known movies like Tiger On Beat, Fractured Follies, City War and Peace Hotel. And the first Jet Li movie I ever saw was Tai Chi Master on VCD.
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Picture quality scale by format
PostPosted: 17 Mar 2018, 23:49 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan
User avatar

Joined: 01 May 2016, 06:38
Posts: 945
Location: Australia
Has thanked: 33 times
Been thanked: 27 times
ertioli - of course HDVS on youtube is going to look poor!!! Were you joking/being sarcastic?

elahrairrah wrote:
confederate wrote:
That was very interesting to read, elahrairrah. I guess you were there when Hong Kong was still a British Crown Colony ?

The VCDs that were released in Europe for the CD-i console look much better than many Asian VCDs. The sound is pretty good on those and it looked OK at that time on a small size TV. I still collect those Video CDs whenever I can find them because the packaging looks nice and because they are nice collectibles in my opinion.
Many Asian VCDs look really bad but some are OK like the Hong Kong VCD of the film The Hero ( Zhang Yimou ). That is the best looking VCD I have ever seen. If the quality looks like that it is acceptable, especially because many lesser known Hong Kong films from the 90s were released on Video CD and Laserdisc only ! I like the format. It doesn't look very good but I had many hours of fun watching it during my time in Macau.

Thank you for reading!

Yes, I was in the Navy and visited HK 5 times when I was stationed over in Japan. The last visit was a mere 2 weeks before Handover!

That's interesting about the Euro VCDs. All of mine are from Asian countries.

And indeed, back then, while I did also have an LD player, I wasn't big into home theater just yet. So a quantity over quality mentality was in my mind at the time. Glad I did or I wouldn't have been able to see some really great HK films like Chow Yun Fat's lesser known movies like Tiger On Beat, Fractured Follies, City War and Peace Hotel. And the first Jet Li movie I ever saw was Tai Chi Master on VCD.


I had a similar experience to you guys. There is no way I would have been able to see as much content as I did in the mid to late '90s without cheap VCDs from Sydney Chinatown. Saw Japanese classics like Bounce Ko Gals and Tokyo Eyes this way as well as Amuro Namie's first concert (still her best, recently re-aquired on R2 DVD), Aikawa Nanase live, Rie Tomosaka, my main crush at the time, I got her idol video on VCD, really nice packaging with a set of postcards included, also Made in Hong Kong a great Sam Lee gangster movie that I STILL can't find on R3 DVD or LD.. saw all the Chow Yun Fat classics this way too, as well as some early Jackie Chan, although a lot of good stuff was played on free to air Australian SBS TV too which was a boon to otaku like me and my friends. Saw some stuff in Chinatown theatres too as double features.

Anyway the VCDs beat watching the VHS tapes a local Chinatown business used to rent out. They were the worst quality imaginable, nth generation almost unwatchable, let alone dubbable.

Used to watch my VCDs on my prized possession, my modded Sega Saturn with VCD card. Hussled so much to get that. Fed that into a Phillips TV I stole from my parents. hahaha. Sat as a dirt poor student in my dump of a sharehouse and loved those times (in a way).

I would never acquire more VCDs, some had good packaging but the PQ is too poor. My dream then was to have Laserdisc, it still is. Failing that I'd much rather have R2 DVD with PCM sound and some upscaling.. hmm do any of my VCDs have PCM sound? Readout on VLC says my Amuro Namie live has 44k sampling MPEG 1/2? CD quality? I never really had the gear to test it back then. Have gear now but no VCD playback capability on my system either...
_________________
Sony MDP-650, Sony MDP-355GX, Sony KVHR M36, DVDO VP-50
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Picture quality scale by format
PostPosted: 18 Mar 2018, 00:54 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan
User avatar

Joined: 16 Jun 2015, 15:40
Posts: 558
Location: Australia
Has thanked: 19 times
Been thanked: 15 times
ertoili wrote:
Vcd (worst)

DVD
Sony HDVS
Laserdisc HiVision
mini DV


Essentially you could think of HDVS as like HVLD without the Muse compression.

It should be:
DVD
Laserdisc HiVision
Sony HDVS
mini DV
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Picture quality scale by format
PostPosted: 18 Mar 2018, 04:01 
True fan
True fan
User avatar

Joined: 27 Jun 2014, 07:12
Posts: 420
Location: France
Has thanked: 46 times
Been thanked: 2 times
Everyone satisfied now ? . Digital video winning big, even on SD resolution department the DVD kick some theorically superior analog formats out!


Vcd (worst)
CED
Video 8
Video 2000
VHD
Vhs
Beta
Vhs SQPB
Super Beta
S-Vhs
Video Hi8
Ed-Beta
Laserdisc
W-Vhs
DVD (hdmi)
Laserdisc HiVision
Sony HDVS
mini DV
D-Vhs D-Theater
HD DVD
Bluray
Bluray HDR (Best)
Offline
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
 Page 3 of 5 [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to: