It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 02:45

Page 2 of 5 [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: All CRT tv's and VCR's finally dying forever..read the f
PostPosted: 31 May 2018, 17:18 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Also, perhaps i just don't have a properly discerning eye,
but SD VG sources such as the SNES and SEGA SATURN don't look bad at all on my 42" BEST BUY INSIGNIA LCD display.

in fact, this monitor really only seems to tell the truth, and nothing more or less, about whatever SD source material i feed to it;

SATURN

SNES

SONY PS2

PostPosted: 31 May 2018, 18:11 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

I should probably try another game. I only played Vampire Saviour, so other more hi-res games might have better results.

PostPosted: 01 Jun 2018, 01:15 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

@elahrairrah Ah well svideo isn't too bad. Could also just be how the display handles it, especially if you are using the display's own processing. I really dislike how the plasma I have displays old video game content. I have also found even with excellent scaling and inputs I just can't go beyond a certain screen size for old content.

@tasuke: I like some VCR aesthetics too. That's a real beaut that you have.

Your tv looks okay in pictures. How are you hooking them up? I can game just fine with composite*, esp on a good CRT, but stepping up to svideo is a noticeable step up, then RGB or ypbpr is another notch. If you compare directly you should absolutely see the difference.

*Usually anyway, Genesis composite is complete trash. PC Engine composite is actually pretty good.

PostPosted: 01 Jun 2018, 12:48 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

elahrairrah wrote:
No thanks. I've never heard good things about moving companies from my friends who used them. Every single one has ended up with items lost or broken and had to jump through hoops ut pon hoops to get reimbursed for them.

Sure as hell not going to trust them with my LD collection or LD players. And they way they would reimburse for those, you sure as hell won't be getting what you paid for them at this point going by how insurance companies take "depreciation" into account.

I've moved my 88kg CRT three times with moving companies. Nothings happened to it. They moved my LDs and LD players too, nothing happened to them. I packed carefully of course but I don't own a car and don't have any friends so don't have much choice.

Moving again soon. Never got movers insurance before, fingers crossed!

PostPosted: 01 Jun 2018, 16:21 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Yeah, there is no overall global problem with all “moving companies”. That’s hilariously crazy to think, honestly.

I just payed Two Guys and a Truck to move a 45 year old organ 100 miles. They did literally everything perfect and I assure you it’s way more fragile than a TV and as for LDs themselves...what are they going to do, drop boxes of LDs into a river or something? Down 10 flights of stairs? LDs in a box are pretty dang tough.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 01 Jun 2018, 16:46 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

If you want to take that chance, by all means, go ahead.

Doesn't mean the rest of us have to.

Especially when you've got friends whom you've help move several times. So they owe you.

So I'll take free with people you can trust over throwing money at people you don't know hoping they don't break/lose anything.

And like I said, my friends' experiences tell me to go with the former.

PostPosted: 02 Jun 2018, 10:15 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Laserdiscs ARE my friends but my CRT is my BEST friend

PostPosted: 02 Jun 2018, 15:38 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

gypsy wrote:
Your tv looks okay in pictures. How are you hooking them up?
I can game just fine with composite*, esp on a good CRT, but stepping up to svideo is a noticeable step up,
then RGB or ypbpr is another notch. If you compare directly you should absolutely see the difference.

*Usually anyway, Genesis composite is complete trash. PC Engine composite is actually pretty good.

i dunno, i suppose i'm just not much a videophile or purist, since i feel the unmodded Genny composite to be plenty good enough;

none of my consoles are modded for S-VIDEO or anything, they're all simply patched through a daisy-chained set of passive A/V switchers,
with final composite video out directly to the LCDM, and the L/R stereo RCAs direct to the amplifier.

for the modern, HDMI-based consoles, all HD sources meet at an HDMI switcher, then direct to the LCDM,
with a heavy duty MONSTER minijack/stereo RCA cable running from the LCDM's headphone jack to the amplifier.

it all works quite satisfactory for me, and i imagine it will continue to,
so long as somebody out there continues to produce an affordable decently-performing HD monitor,
with solid analog video processing and a Headphone or stereo RCA output, well into the foreseeable future...

PostPosted: 02 Jun 2018, 18:51 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

forper wrote:
Laserdiscs ARE my friends but my CRT is my BEST friend

I don't want to know what the composite ports on that CRT look like . . . :oops:

PostPosted: 03 Jun 2018, 00:53 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Yeah people have different levels of standards. As long as you are enjoying stuff, that's what matters.

I just can't play Genesis via composite even on a CRT let alone a newer HD set. I've particularly not found a tv where the native processing is good enough to make old games look good. However, I also haven't spent more than $800 for any modern display I have (and that was my main monitor which is displayport only). Thankfully for me the Genesis supports RGB natively.

PostPosted: 03 Jun 2018, 01:31 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Loved Sonic II with Tails on the 16 bit Sega Genesis !
Might have to load that up again for old times sake !

Yes I still have my console with approx. 50 + games .....

My fav's are Dune : Battle for Arrakis and Flashback ....

PostPosted: 03 Jun 2018, 01:48 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

My favorites were mostly on the CD attachment. Popful Mail, Snatcher, Lunar 2, Shining Force CD. Favorite carts would have to be Tatsujin and Castlevania Bloodlines.

Illusion City is a nice little game but requires knowing a lot of Japanese or a guide. MSX version was mostly translated, too bad no one finished it.

PostPosted: 03 Jun 2018, 01:56 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Tasuke those screenshots look fine and all but are useless because they don't show what MOVEMENT is like in the games. I guarantee CRT will give you a nicer and smoother looking game experience.

Sold off a lot of my consoles this year (PC-FX, PC Engine, CD Rom, Saturns, PS2, SNES) to reinvest the money in better audio and more laserdiscs after I move.

At 40 years old I've finally given up the dream of "one day" having enough time or money to fully appreciate the systems, decided on a more about less approach, quality over quantity. So the only console I'm keeping and will continue to invest in is my Neo Geo AES.

PostPosted: 03 Jun 2018, 02:13 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

forper wrote:
Tasuke those screenshots look fine and all but are useless because they don't show what MOVEMENT is like in the games. I guarantee CRT will give you a nicer and smoother looking game experience.

The first picture looks fairly washed out to me, but it's also not a screen capture if I'm seeing it right.

forper wrote:
Sold off a lot of my consoles this year (PC-FX, PC Engine, CD Rom, Saturns, PS2, SNES) to reinvest the money in better audio and more laserdiscs after I move.

At 40 years old I've finally given up the dream of "one day" having enough time or money to fully appreciate the systems, decided on a more about less approach, quality over quantity. So the only console I'm keeping and will continue to invest in is my Neo Geo AES.

Can't say that I blame you. If I ever desperately needed money some of my old consoles and game libraries would be the first things to go. PCE and Dreamcast would be difficult. I also rather like the Saturn, though at this point I mostly have cheap imports left. I think the most valuable game I have for it is Digital Pinball Necronomicon, one of my absolute favorites and that isn't worth much. I don't know 100% though, because I'm not really checking, just remembering what I paid. First stuff to go would likely be Xbox, PS2, 360 and PS3. I have too much of all that crap.

Better audio is always a real nice choice. I got some Magnepans earlier this year and do not regret it. :)

PostPosted: 03 Jun 2018, 02:30 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

gypsy wrote:
forper wrote:

The first picture looks fairly washed out to me, but it's also not a screen capture if I'm seeing it right.

forper wrote:

Can't say that I blame you. If I ever desperately needed money some of my old consoles and game libraries would be the first things to go. PCE and Dreamcast would be difficult. I also rather like the Saturn, though at this point I mostly have cheap imports left. I think the most valuable game I have for it is Digital Pinball Necronomicon, one of my absolute favorites and that isn't worth much. I don't know 100% though, because I'm not really checking, just remembering what I paid. First stuff to go would likely be Xbox, PS2, 360 and PS3. I have too much of all that crap.

Better audio is always a real nice choice. I got some Magnepans earlier this year and do not regret it. :)

Yeah, I will probably miss Dynamite Deka, Last Bronx and Manx TT superbike the most on Saturn. I've had a Saturn since '97. The NEC consoles I picked up cheap when I lived in Japan and were "one day" machines. Besides finally playing those legendary Macross games for CD Rom I never fully appreciated them.

I'm happy with my speakers (Sony SS-AL5 MkIIs) but have wanted to upgrade the core of my system for a long time. I'm after a Sony TA-N80 / E80 ES or N90 / E90 ES combo and a CDP-X77ES. Now I have the money set aside, just want to move first and stalk listings for good examples. Was going to get an TA-F808ES all-in-one but decided I want to experience balanced connections for once in my life and this will hopefully be my last amp purchase in many many many years and hopefully (with maintenance) for life.

PostPosted: 03 Jun 2018, 02:57 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

gypsy wrote:
My favorites were mostly on the CD attachment. Popful Mail, Snatcher, Lunar 2, Shining Force CD. Favorite carts would have to be Tatsujin and Castlevania Bloodlines.

Illusion City is a nice little game but requires knowing a lot of Japanese or a guide. MSX version was mostly translated, too bad no one finished it.

Right on gypsy ....

Cannot forget Shinobi ! ! !
Damn good console that 16bit still is .....

Wish Dreamcast would have did better market wise .....

PostPosted: 03 Jun 2018, 13:55 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

@Forper: Looks like a solid amp. I am using a Parasound HCA2200 MKII, it rocks. Just had some cap replacement done to it earlier this year.

@firehorse: 16 bit is probably my favorite. Between growing up on it and the gameplay from that era basically having been perfected until moving to 3D. Still lots of good 2D games on the Saturn though. Love the Dreamcast, picked one up dirt cheap in the early 2000s and really explored the game library on that console when I was younger. At the time stuff like Shenmue, Rez and Jet Set Radio were so new and cool. It was also my first foray into Japanese imports when I played through the Sakura Taisen games with a printed off translation guide. These days when I fire it up it's usually for Crazy Taxi or a puzzle or fighter with friends. Really the Neo Geo ports are pretty solid.

PostPosted: 04 Jun 2018, 02:34 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

My favorite actress loving it...cant be any better!

Im in my late thirties i will test my small Crt/Vcr/LD collection to their last days, they will last one or two more decades using them with care but surely no more....

We will get older into a Led tv nightmare :)

PostPosted: 06 Jun 2018, 16:38 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

i'd never be able to let any of my legacy VG consoles go.

for one, i'd never be able to afford to replace them all, certainly not in today's insanely overvalued retro VG market.

for two, i've at least one or two, -and, usually several more than that- must own/must play favorite titles for each platform
that i break out at least once a year or so.

the SEGA GENESIS was the first VG console my parents bought me, -first U.S. edition VA-0 motherboard and all-
and it console continues to serve faithfully to this day, with several titles in perpetual heavy rotation, such as "HERZOG ZWEI"

the 'ole "Genny" is like the MICHAEL PARE' of VG hardware; Rough, Ready and Reliable...

PostPosted: 06 Jun 2018, 17:42 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

I'm in the process of paring down my classic consoles.

Just sold off my SNES/SFC games and SNES with the coverter cartridge (didn't feel like doing the "surgery" on my US SNES to play Japanese games--plus, the converter was less than US$10 when I was in Hong Kong.) It was a little painful to let Final Fantasy III and Chrono Trigger (both complete in boxes), but I haven't touched them in years.

Gave the Genesis back to my sister. She pretty much adopted it while I was in the Navy overseas, and she bought a bunch of games for it while she had it. Also got her a converter and a bunch of Japanese games while I was in Japan and Hong Kong.

Sold off the Neo Geo cart and CD systems a few years ago.

In the processs of recapping my Turbo Duo to sell that on Ebay along with all my games (a large selection of both US and Japanese games) and peripherals.

I'm guess I'm just not that much of a gamer anymore. I bought a PS4 mainly for Street Fighter V, but I think I played it about a dozen times?

I find myself playing King of Fighters XIII on the PS3 more!

But that Saturn.

That one will stay with me FOREVER!!!

Page 2 of 5 [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next