It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 16:55

Page 2 of 10 [ 185 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Sega Saturn
PostPosted: 22 Jun 2018, 20:40 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I agree with you that many PAL conversions were poor. Thankfully, both the Mega Drive and Saturn have had 50/60Hz Mods available for a long making most PAL games playable in the correct speed (though several games may glitch out or work improperly, but most of the time it's not a problem). I'm only playing NTSC nowadays though.

PostPosted: 23 Jun 2018, 05:06 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

signofzeta wrote:
There is this mentality out there these days that you NEED RGB and upscalers that cost more than two of the system did new. It’s nonsene. The best way to play these machines is at their original resolution but even on flat panels, the new ones, results can be very good. Just don’t pretend you’re Daigo and you need flawless video.

(That being said, a Saturn feeding composite strait to a circa 2004 bedroom TV with built in DVD player is NONSENSE. The display is important, juat not in the way internet group think has made people believe.)

People are just impatient. I grabbed another processor recently for a plasma display and didn't approach single new console money. Unless we are talking about once they get heavily discounted. All told with the tv I was under 250 and I'm pretty happy with it now.

I would agree that Saturn SVideo is quite good. Cable quality matters here but given how most people are RGB or bust really nice Saturn SVideo cables can be had for about $15 shipped.

elahrairrah wrote:
Once read how a guy was connecting his PS2 to his HDTV with RGB to a Micomsoft XRGB-2 Plus, then a VGA to Component video converter. I kept scratching my head wondering how that would provide THAT much better of a result than just the component video output from the PS2?!?!?

Some people definitely lose the plot with ridiculous video chains. I've been playing Famicom lately and I'm just going composite to display (admittedly, a crt pvm).

PostPosted: 26 Jun 2018, 18:49 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

What is considered the most rare and what is the most sought after Saturn game?

I'm not much of a video game collector, so I don't get games just because of rarity or demand--I only want to play games I actually enjoy. Rarity has no bearing on that. Just curious as to what game are most people looking for?

PostPosted: 26 Jun 2018, 20:28 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I really hate talking about that side of things a lot.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 26 Jun 2018, 21:44 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

One that is really good but unfortunately priced is Shinrei Jusatsushi Taromaru. I recommend playing it, but not buying it.

PostPosted: 27 Jun 2018, 19:53 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

elahrairrah wrote:

I'm not much of a video game collector, so I don't get games just because of rarity or demand--I only want to play games I actually enjoy. Rarity has no bearing on that. Just curious as to what game are most people looking for?

the english versions of Panzer Dragoon Saga and Magic Knight Rayearth among some other working designs releases.

PostPosted: 04 Sep 2020, 05:45 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

elahrairrah wrote:
So other than the way overpriced Micomsoft boxes, what's the best and economical way to convert a Saturn's RGB21 cable to component or better?

I have a Saturn RGB21 cable (not Euro SCART), but have no way to utilize it for anything.

I imagine I'll get somewhat better picture using that rather than S-Video.

Found a guy in Japan selling custom component video cables for the Saturn on Ebay.

Quality is pretty darn good. Better than S-Video definitely.

PostPosted: 04 Sep 2020, 09:41 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

elahrairrah wrote:

Delisoba Deluxe, Taromaru, Hyper Duel, Blast Wind, Guardian Force and maybe Steam Heart's.

I had the last four games there. All great but sold them on many years ago for far less than you'd pay for them now. Glad I got out of buying retro games it's just a money pit and the bloody things are really hard to sell on outside of collectors circles. At one point I had the Hyper Duel arcade PCB too along with many others. It's probably worth 2 to 3 times what I paid for it a few years ago and even then it cost me about £450.

Glad to be out of the whole thing. It ends up becoming just blatant hoarding. Sorry to go off topic! :oops:

PostPosted: 04 Sep 2020, 11:09 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

elahrairrah wrote:
elahrairrah wrote:
So other than the way overpriced Micomsoft boxes, what's the best and economical way to convert a Saturn's RGB21 cable to component or better?

I have a Saturn RGB21 cable (not Euro SCART), but have no way to utilize it for anything.

I imagine I'll get somewhat better picture using that rather than S-Video.

Found a guy in Japan selling custom component video cables for the Saturn on Ebay.

Quality is pretty darn good. Better than S-Video definitely.

I'll have to check into this as have the S Video cables. I want to hook up one of my 3 to my main TV and the other ones to my CRT.

PostPosted: 04 Sep 2020, 12:53 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

signofzeta wrote:

I've noticed.

I wanted to collect some NES cartridges, mostly just the ones I played and liked as a child, to expand my puny collection...which unfortunately are all CIB. And one of those games I wanted is Flintstones: Surprise at Dinosaur Peak. :sick:

PostPosted: 04 Sep 2020, 13:54 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

teddanson wrote:
and the bloody things are really hard to sell on outside of collectors circles.

Depends greatly on the game and price. It is probably tricky to find a $1500 buyer for some random Saturn game but I could snap my fingers and sell stuff like Super Metroid, Mario 64, Chrono Trigger for a good price.

takeshi666 wrote:
signofzeta wrote:

I've noticed.

I wanted to collect some NES cartridges, mostly just the ones I played and liked as a child, to expand my puny collection...which unfortunately are all CIB. And one of those games I wanted is Flintstones: Surprise at Dinosaur Peak. :sick:

Do not recommend Nintendo cardboard, really jacks up the price.

PostPosted: 04 Sep 2020, 14:09 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

I hate the fact I had some games that I really wished I kept like Astal. I bought that new on a closeout from Babbages I think and now its terribly expensive. I need to psudeo saturn to play back ups and homebrew or whatever.

PostPosted: 04 Sep 2020, 15:57 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

xtempo wrote:
I hate the fact I had some games that I really wished I kept like Astal. I bought that new on a closeout from Babbages I think and now its terribly expensive. I need to psudeo saturn to play back ups and homebrew or whatever.

The big deal right now is the MODE mod for the Saturn. Might actually pick up one of those kits so that when the spindle finally gives up the ghost in my Saturn I can still use it.

PostPosted: 04 Sep 2020, 17:21 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

I don't think I'd be able to do that since I am not quite handy with electronics. but you are right when the spindle dies I'd have to do something.

PostPosted: 04 Sep 2020, 17:46 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

xtempo wrote:
I don't think I'd be able to do that since I am not quite handy with electronics. but you are right when the spindle dies I'd have to do something.

So long as it isn't too much soldering I can probably do it.

If not, there's a mom & pop video game shop near me that does repairs and could probably be persuaded to do the mod for me.

PostPosted: 18 Sep 2020, 21:55 
Honest fan
Honest fan

elahrairrah wrote:

In North American, the final three games released had a confirmed by Sega print run of only 10,000 copies each, those titles being.:
Panzer Dragoon Saga
Magic Knight Rayearth
The House of the Dead

Of these three, Panzer Dragoon Saga is the rarest due to being a four disc game. More discs to keep up with, the higher the odds of a disc getting lost or destroyed resulting in a incomplete copy. Not unusual for a single badly scratched disc from the game going for $300 on the open market. Magic Knight Rayearth tends to sell high due to both being a traditional J-RPG and a tie-in with the anime & manga series of the same name. Not to say that The House of the Dead sells for cheap, as it commands well over $200 itself.

PostPosted: 19 Sep 2020, 00:27 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Panzer Saga had two print runs for sure. I know because I was caught between them and eventually got a copy months after release. So is this “confirmed” number saying it was two runs of 10k each or was it 7k/3k or 6k/4k?

And why are we so sure there wasn’t some other game nobody cared about from a year before that only saw 7k printed? How many copies are there of the mail older only Netlink Edition of Daytona CCE?

PostPosted: 19 Sep 2020, 00:54 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

The Netlink Daytona probably has the least copies.

I have played MKR and it is not a trad JRPG. Much more action oriented. Good game though.

PostPosted: 19 Sep 2020, 14:11 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I remember when TRU had bins loaded with Rayearth. Nobody wanted it! It was a very early Saturn game in Japan but pretty much the last US one due to Vic’s superhuman powers of tardiness.

It has very pretty sprite art in places.

PostPosted: 19 Sep 2020, 14:52 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

the SATURN was my first 32-bit console, the SONY PS1 coming a year or two later for me.

i didn't amass many games for it, but, as a budding Anime fan at the time, i heard about WD's upcoming MKR game,
and, even then, it was seen as likely the final U.S. SEGA SATURN release.

i jumped all over it, of course, and it single-handedly made owning an overall failure of a games platform such as the SATURN well worth the trouble.

20+ years later, i still have my original babied, fully functional SATURN, a GAME SHARK to defeat the regional lockouts, as well as both the U.S. WORKING DESIGNS and JPN SEGA editions of MKR;

Page 2 of 10 [ 185 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next