It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 13:11

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Why oh why no subtitles ???
PostPosted: 26 Jul 2018, 09:57 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I am seriously interested in the Blu Ray release of Miami Vice - The Series but after finding out that this release does not carry any subtitles ( unlike the previous DVD release by Universal ) I am no longer interested in acquiring it. I have seen this sort of phenomenon on many US and UK DVDs and Blu Ray discs. Why ??? Is it so goddamn difficult to add subtitles ???
I also have one US DVD that does not feature subtitles but at least it has Closed Captions. Why ?

I am not a native speaker but sometimes at night when I have to lower the volume so I do not disturb the neighbours subtitles are really useful. Of course, my listening comprehension is not as good as with my mother tongues German and Polish but nonetheless I find that intolerable and incomprehensible.

I have always liked US LDs carrying Closed Captions. I find them extremely useful, especially for my wife who can then follow the story more easily. Even my Janet Jackson music LD has CC during some of the songs ! Now that is cool !

Post subject: Re: Why oh why no subtitles ???
PostPosted: 27 Jul 2018, 13:55 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I assume it's an effort thing. Not having them when a previous release does is freaking rough though, and I don't understand that one. Maybe some fees involved that they don't want to pay? I prefer lower volumes myself so subs/cc are always nice...

PostPosted: 28 Jul 2018, 21:03 
Serious fan
Serious fan

confederate wrote:
I am seriously interested in the Blu Ray release of Miami Vice - The Series but after finding out that this release does not carry any subtitles ( unlike the previous DVD release by Universal ) I am no longer interested in acquiring it. I have seen this sort of phenomenon on many US and UK DVDs and Blu Ray discs. Why ??? Is it so goddamn difficult to add subtitles ???
I also have one US DVD that does not feature subtitles but at least it has Closed Captions. Why ?

I am not a native speaker but sometimes at night when I have to lower the volume so I do not disturb the neighbours subtitles are really useful. Of course, my listening comprehension is not as good as with my mother tongues German and Polish but nonetheless I find that intolerable and incomprehensible.

I have always liked US LDs carrying Closed Captions. I find them extremely useful, especially for my wife who can then follow the story more easily. Even my Janet Jackson music LD has CC during some of the songs ! Now that is cool !

Hi Marcin,

I couldn't agree with you more, for precisely the reason you mentioned! Well stated, my friend! I'm not hearing impaired, but I have used them many times in the past for just that purpose. I often find them useful for translating unintelligible lines of dialog, and sometimes soundtrack song lyrics by singers who slur their words! I really hate that :x , and the captioning can be very handy to deal with such situations. I love discs with closed captioning! :thumbup: By the way, it's good to see your name on a few posts here! Nice to know that you're still with us on The Forum! Take care, my friend!

Best Regards,
David :wave:

PostPosted: 29 Jul 2018, 12:23 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Sorry Germans, but here in the English speaking world we'll be enjoying our Miami Vice. Was a God send when they finally got all the music rights sorted out for the DVD box release years back.

When you go to buy the Pooray, tell em Sonny Crocket's alligator sentya ; )

Or just buy the damn DVD release. It looks and sounds great

PostPosted: 29 Jul 2018, 17:33 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Simply down to money which is why you don't get subtitles / closed captions on a lot of blu-rays. Fabulous films in the UK are one of the worst offenders. A lot of TV shows get bare bones releases from the Universal catalogue and only a few get the deluxe treatment. The Japanese box set of Columbo, Knight Rider and Sherlock Holmes come to mind of excellent presentations and subtitles. Can't remember if the japanese Knight Rider box set has English subtitles but picture and sound wise, head and shoulders above any other release. I think the attitude of a lot of companies is "You're lucky to get this on blu-ray, be grateful". Love the Rockford Files but you won't find me buying the Mill Creek set any day soon.

PostPosted: 02 Aug 2018, 01:37 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Which Sherlock Holmes show are you referencing?

PostPosted: 02 Aug 2018, 03:21 
Site Admin
Site Admin

gypsy wrote:
Which Sherlock Holmes show are you referencing?

I believe it would be the ITV/Granada series from the 80's?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sherlock_Holmes_(1984_TV_series)

Got VHS, 23 Japanese LDs, DVD, BD releases over the years.

Great show, the ultimate Sherlock Holmes for me!

Julien

PostPosted: 05 Aug 2018, 05:17 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

laserking wrote:
confederate wrote:

Hi Marcin,

I couldn't agree with you more, for precisely the reason you mentioned! Well stated, my friend! I'm not hearing impaired, but I have used them many times in the past for just that purpose. I often find them useful for translating unintelligible lines of dialog, and sometimes soundtrack song lyrics by singers who slur their words! I really hate that :x , and the captioning can be very handy to deal with such situations. I love discs with closed captioning! :thumbup: By the way, it's good to see your name on a few posts here! Nice to know that you're still with us on The Forum! Take care, my friend!

Best Regards,
David :wave:

Hello David,

it is good to hear from you, too, my friend !!!

Have a good one !

Marcin from Berlin, Germany

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ]