It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 23:28

Page 2 of 2 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: When did Ebay turn into Halfbay?
PostPosted: 02 Aug 2018, 12:36 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Well sure, but it's not going to sell at that price.

PostPosted: 02 Aug 2018, 14:15 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I used to buy gokins (die cast robot figures) on ebay from price-gouging HK sellers until I discovered a better second hand outlet in Japan with much better prices. On the flipside, I did buy Highlander 2 on BR from a Canadian seller who wasn't shipping outside North America, just by asking if he'd ship internationally anyway. All kinds of people I guess. :)

pizmo wrote:
I saw an eBay listing the other day for Super Mario World with no box or manual just a loose cartridge and the asking price was $60. That is the kind of stuff I am talking about. There's making a little money and then there is price gouging and $60 for the most common snes game of all time is price gouging

I see brick and mortar used videogame stores ask those kind of prices for NES games without even so much as the friggin' dust jacket, and the games themselves aren't even particularly rare. I wonder if they've ever found anybody dumb enough to buy those.

I have only five games for mine and all of them are still CIB which kind of puts me in a frustrating position if I ever want to actually expand that collection with anything at all.

PostPosted: 02 Aug 2018, 17:28 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

I try not to totally short change sellers when it comes to best offers.

Though I can try to understand buyers if they only offer half. Perhaps they're just trying to see if you'll counter with a decent offer after that.

But to avoid really cheap offers when I sell, I always set the "automatically reject offers lower than $x" so I don't even get notified if they lowball me.

PostPosted: 02 Aug 2018, 18:53 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Yes, been doing that, also I've been doubling my price.
So when the half offer comes in it will be what I want or what the item is worth.

PostPosted: 02 Aug 2018, 20:22 
Honest fan
Honest fan

elahrairrah wrote:

Though I can try to understand buyers if they only offer half. Perhaps they're just trying to see if you'll counter with a decent offer after that.

But to avoid really cheap offers when I sell, I always set the "automatically reject offers lower than $x" so I don't even get notified if they lowball me.

It depends on the scenario I guess.

Take the Mario game for $60 I mentioned earlier for example. $10-15 would be a more then reasonable offer for that particular game, but that seller would probably consider that an insulting low ball offer even though $10 or $15 is about all that game is worth.

2nd hand retail is a very subjective thing, because it doesn't matter how rare the item is or what it's estimated value is; it's only worth what somebody is willing to pay for it. If a quarter of the asking price is all anybody is willing to pay a seller for their item; then a quarter of the asking price is all it is worth regardless of how much the seller might think it's worth

PostPosted: 02 Aug 2018, 22:05 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

pizmo wrote:
2nd hand retail is a very subjective thing, because it doesn't matter how rare the item is or what it's estimated value is; it's only worth what somebody is willing to pay for it. If a quarter of the asking price is all anybody is willing to pay a seller for their item; then a quarter of the asking price is all it is worth regardless of how much the seller might think it's worth

That covers it very well :thumbup: .

Cheers

PostPosted: 02 Aug 2018, 22:18 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

That's what annoys me whenever I see an article in the paper about how some toyline of our childhoods is worth big money these days because the journalists love to bloat the actual values by grabbing BIN prices off ebay instead of checking how much they actually sold for. What people ask and what people pay are not the same thing.

PostPosted: 03 Aug 2018, 00:56 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

pizmo wrote:
elahrairrah wrote:

It depends on the scenario I guess.

Take the Mario game for $60 I mentioned earlier for example. $10-15 would be a more then reasonable offer for that particular game, but that seller would probably consider that an insulting low ball offer even though $10 or $15 is about all that game is worth.

There really just isn't a good way to buy some old games now, they are highly priced anywhere.

takeshi666 wrote:
That's what annoys me whenever I see an article in the paper about how some toyline of our childhoods is worth big money these days because the journalists love to bloat the actual values by grabbing BIN prices off ebay instead of checking how much they actually sold for. What people ask and what people pay are not the same thing.

Remember that stupid s**t about Disney VHS? lol

PostPosted: 03 Aug 2018, 21:42 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

gypsy wrote:
Remember that stupid s**t about Disney VHS? lol

As a matter of fact, I do!

All I cay say about those people starts with "D" and ends with "umbass". :D

PostPosted: 05 Aug 2018, 14:07 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

I never used to mess around with offers, but after having a couple of offers accepted lately, I'm certainly going to be making them more. It turns out that a lot of sellers are happy to get rid of something at 50%-75% of their ask price to avoid needing to relist the item. So I guess the answer is that people make lowball offers because it costs them nothing and works out for them more often than you might guess.

PostPosted: 07 Aug 2018, 19:53 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I've done that once too. If something's worth the asking price to me I'll pay it, and if not I'll wait a few days and make an offer.

PostPosted: 07 Aug 2018, 22:28 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

My personal favorite is when something has been up for months, the seller has offers on and won't even take 10% off.

PostPosted: 07 Aug 2018, 23:14 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

gypsy wrote:
My personal favorite is when something has been up for months, the seller has offers on and won't even take 10% off.

I always did wonder about that. I guess they just have a big garage and/or attic and can afford to sit on that stuff indefinitely - much to the chagrin of anybody who actually want the goods, but not at those prices.

PostPosted: 08 Aug 2018, 00:28 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I forget the exact item at this point but there was an old electronics item up for probably well over a year. Seller was asking like $400. I sent an offer where I still felt bad about the price and it was snap declined. At that point I just wrote it off and deleted it from my watch list. I get that it's the only one up on eBay but at some point one has to realize that it's just not worth the asking price.

PostPosted: 18 Oct 2018, 05:43 
True fan
True fan

rein-o wrote:
Anybody else dealing with this??
I've been a seller on ebay since 1998 and it seems that there is a major flood of half offer buyers now.
Very frustrating and I feel that I need to raise my starting price to get the full amount that I'm looking for now.

Am currently selling some CDs on eBay. I was recently offered £5 for them. Had to decline with the message that if I accepted their offer I might as well take the CDs to a local charity shop. I mean £5 is an insult. By the time I have paid all fees and postage I would be left with £1.18

They are brand, new still sealed in mint condition and I can't even get a tenner for the 4 CDs.

PostPosted: 18 Oct 2018, 05:51 
True fan
True fan

eBay certainly isn't what it used to. At least not for private sellers. I used to see feedback as something important but now I just don't care. Am over 1000 now, just doesn't matter anymore.

Page 2 of 2 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2