It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 15:39

Page 1 of 3 [ 52 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Store Brand Media Players
PostPosted: 04 Sep 2018, 16:57 
Honest fan
Honest fan

In interactive media, there were many "Store Brands" that were just rebrnaded copies of brand name players.

Sears had both Telegames (2600) and Super Telegames (Intellivision). Radio Shack had Tandyvision (Intellivision). Montgomery Ward had their special brand of Bally Astrocade.

Even the game media was Sears labeled. There were 2 versions, a Sears version and an Atari version, even though they were the exact same game and were intercompatible.

As far "linear media" is concerned, the only "Store Brand" I've seen is a Sears Beta.

Based on what i see on Youtube, I think Montgomery Ward was a big supporter of Laser Disc. I think all their promotional material was printed on LD. They MAY have had a MW LD player, but I'm not sure.

I never went into a MW because they were so far out of the way of the main drag, and had literally only one location in the Cleveland/Akron area, in Cuyahoga Falls.

Any store brand VHS, Laser Disc, or Selectavisions as far as anyone knows? Any other store brand Betas besides Sears?

Post subject: Re: Store Brand Media Players
PostPosted: 04 Sep 2018, 21:03 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

My stepgrandmother had a Montgomery Ward TV.

I know Radio Shack had LD players and I think CED players.

PostPosted: 04 Sep 2018, 21:13 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Radio Shack liked to use the name Realistic. JC Penny used to sell rebadged RCA decks. Everyone did it back then in a way. All low end VCRs from Emerson or Goldstar are basically the same junk, sort of aggregators for jobbers, much like Harbor Frieght doesn’t own any factories. They’re just a front end for hundreds of low end mainland factories that sell to Princess Auto, Sears, Meijer, and tons of other places.

Nowadays there are loads of dead names like Westinghouse and Nakamichi that stores can buy for peanuts and make into essentially their store brand. There aren’t anywhere near as many brands now when it comes to AV gear or whatever but even in the 70s when all the gear was good the things we think of as a “brand” aren’t always cut and dry. You’d see names like Sony and Kenwood and JVC or whatever on the front but many times everything including the badge may have been put together in what you’d consider a “rival” factory. Pioneer sold its LD player guts to so many companies I’m *still* seeing ones that are new to me on occasion.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 04 Sep 2018, 22:07 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Oh man, I couldn't figure out MW to save my life.

Does tripletopper even own any LD players or does he know that there is a difference between CED and LD??

PostPosted: 04 Sep 2018, 22:18 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

All,

This appears to be another attempt by the Tippletopper to create a topic so he can get attention and make some lame claim that he’s getting the most traffic and in the process self gratifying himself that he’s popular for no other reason than being a nuisance.

I would encourage everyone to refrain from further posting here unless we want another absurd debacle like the many headphone posts that we’ve had to endure.

PostPosted: 04 Sep 2018, 22:35 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

ldfan wrote:
All,

This appears to be another attempt by the Tippletopper to create a topic so he can get attention and make some lame claim that he’s getting the most traffic and in the process self gratifying himself that he’s popular for no other reason than being a nuisance.

I would encourage everyone to refrain from further posting here unless we want another absurd debacle like the many headphone posts that we’ve had to endure.

Back in the 80s you didn’t want to be seen in Plain Pockets, I think that was the name. Sears store brand jeans. About as far from designer as possible, only fit well on the Tin Man of Oz and even then you’d need rivets. .

Radio Shack once sold a Moog manufactured monosynth with the Realistic name on it. Those exceptions to the rule (usually they rebadged Yamahas and Casios) keep you going to garage sales.

PostPosted: 05 Sep 2018, 00:46 
Honest fan
Honest fan

rein-o wrote:
Oh man, I couldn't figure out MW to save my life.

Does tripletopper even own any LD players or does he know that there is a difference between CED and LD??

Yes I have a Pioneer CLD-D704 with S-Video Out, Toslink Out for DTS, Pro Logic and LPCM 2.0 at potentially higher bit-rates and/or hertz-rates.

Yes I know the technical name for a Selectavision is a Capacitance Electronic Disc, or CED, but most people know them by the name Selectavision. (and yes that's RCA's Video and Video Player Brand as it was also used on VHS at the time, but if someone made a licensed CED player, and couldn't use the name Selectavision, I don't know of any. But then again I haven't looked.)

And I know the difference. It's the difference between who unzips Sackboy: either Mrs Sackboy or Dr Sack. If Mrs. Sackboy (Sackgirl after she changes her name after marrying sackboy...unless they're brother and sister, in which case "Ich" [and not german of "I"]. But then again, if you believe in the Bible, Noah and his children had to do some incest for like 2 or 3 generations to keep the human race alive).... anyway, if Mrs. Sackboy unzips Sackboy, It's a Laser Disc. If Dr. Sack unzips Sackboy, it's a Selectavsion. It's the difference between peeling off clothes and peeling off the skin. (by the way, according to Little Big Planet canon, does Sackgirl unzip Sackboy, or does Dr. Sack? Either answer is kind of gross to the average 10-year old and under, so my safe answer is they are canonically silent on the issue.)

Speaking of Selectavision, Long before consumer CD ROM machines like the Turbo CD and Sega CD, Colecovision was originally going to release Dragon's Lair as a Selectavision video and appropriate adapter, with a cartridge to handle the actual ":game" operations. Before Sega was the king of the Add-on, Coleco was.

Was Coleco Dragon's Lair the only Selectavision-ROM ever proposed?

PostPosted: 05 Sep 2018, 00:51 
Honest fan
Honest fan

ldfan wrote:
All,

At least I'm not the one-dimensional guy who only posts on... (if you don't know by now, I'm not going to bring it up, but what would one expect, based my personal record topic. let it not be said I'm only focus on That One tripletopper Topic That Shall Not Be Named.)

As I said, I'm a social shut out. Reading your comments is the closest thing I get to socializing on a regular basis. Is the art of "small talk" dead?

PostPosted: 05 Sep 2018, 02:20 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

tripletopper wrote:
As I said, I'm a social shut out. Reading your comments is the closest thing I get to socializing on a regular basis. Is the art of "small talk" dead?

This is really, really sad and you should do something about it rather than post.

Get outside and breath some fresh air.

PostPosted: 05 Sep 2018, 02:38 
Honest fan
Honest fan

rein-o wrote:
tripletopper wrote:

This is really, really sad and you should do something about it rather than post.

Get outside and breath some fresh air.

It's not the fresh air, I get plenty of fresh air.

it's the talking to people about things other than "do you have a..." or "where is the...."

It feels weird to talk to someone without an organic reason to talk.

At least there's stuff to talk about in forums. and it give me a chance to chat it up.

I need to twitch stream. Unfortunately, I have only 400 kb/s outbound, not enough to broadcast out. Until I get more bandwidth, this is the best I can do :(

PostPosted: 06 Sep 2018, 10:07 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

ldfan wrote:
All,

I think it's an interesting and valid question. Why the hate?

PostPosted: 06 Sep 2018, 10:09 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

signofzeta wrote:
Nowadays there are loads of dead names like Westinghouse and Nakamichi that stores can buy for peanuts and make into essentially their store brand.

I think that happened with TEAC and Australian Kmart back in the '80s, as in it wasn't a dead name at the time but nobody here knew what it was so Kmart here bought the badge name. TEAC was always trash to us, the worthless, flimsy junk they would put the name TEAC on here was embarrassing. Then I get to Japan and there's a lot of totally high end stuff by TEAC. Blew my mind.

PostPosted: 06 Sep 2018, 16:58 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

forper wrote:
ldfan wrote:
All,

I'm sorry but are you directing this question to me or Trippletopper?

PostPosted: 06 Sep 2018, 18:48 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

forper wrote:
signofzeta wrote:
Nowadays there are loads of dead names like Westinghouse and Nakamichi that stores can buy for peanuts and make into essentially their store brand.

I think that happened with TEAC and Australian Kmart back in the '80s, as in it wasn't a dead name at the time but nobody here knew what it was so Kmart here bought the badge name. TEAC was always trash to us, the worthless, flimsy junk they would put the name TEAC on here was embarrassing. Then I get to Japan and there's a lot of totally high end stuff by TEAC. Blew my mind.

That is crazy. I've always had nothing but respect for TEAC/TASCAM.

These days it's the Nakamichi brand you see on TERRIBLE jobbed out crap headphones and stuff. Its really depressing.

PostPosted: 06 Sep 2018, 18:57 
Honest fan
Honest fan

forper wrote:
ldfan wrote:
All,

You think that's hatred against me: in an lddb.com forum that is currently locked there is one person called "galecookgirl" who likes to frequently suggest I'm smoking illicit substances, As it turns out, 100% of "galecookgirl"'s comment were NOT ONLY telling people they smoke substances, she (assuming the user name doesn't tell a lie) has 100% of her comments calling ME a substance smoker.

On page 6, I ignored her, but by page 7 I turned it around on her saying something like --You seem so obsessed with smoking drugs. I never mentioned this till you brought it up over and over but you keep bringing that same thing up over and over. Is this a case of the Democrats accusing Donald Trump of Russian collusion, when there is way more evidence on their side at fault? Or the pot calling the milk jug black? Maybe it's a cry for help, telling us you want to stop smoking drugs, and are looking to stop. Maybe this is a substitute for her really smoking.

Seriously something is wrong with galecookgirl, the way 100% of her posts on a laser disc forum are accusing one particular person of substance abuse, who is perceived to be on the flaky side, just because they choose to listen to Dolby movies in Dolby headphones and not through communal speakers, and has a hard time finding a similar DTS solution.

Some might accuse galecookgirl of not even being human, but a auto-post-bot. galecookgirl, prove me wrong and that there is more to you than accusing me of smoking substances. I dare you to prove your humanity. It's not that high of a bar to jump. Just post something other than accusing me of smoking. You might actually enjoy it. ;)

Forper I assume that was the hatred you were talking about: Calling out ldfan on his "hatred". (maybe "hatred" is too strong of a word, maybe "impassioned ignorance" is better, sounding a little more charitable than "hatred". There's one thing that can cure that kind of "hatred" play a video game in Dolby 5.1 with a Dobly 5.1-> Dobly headphoen converter, and see if the sound cues give you a video game playinfg edge. One game I recommend, and it might not be in Dolby 5.1 is Sonic Lost World on the Apple Juice Boss. Circumnavigating the apple and intercepting the enemy, and making slight adjustments soon enough based off sound cues sounds really satisfying.)

Is ldfan a deaf user who can't hear the LD quality and just sees it? There's no shame in that. Ray Charles was an official Laser Disc Spokesman, and he said by sound and music alone, LD is the better format between it and VHS. And Ray Charles is famous for being a blind musician. He even pokes fun at his blindness by saying be can pick the best format with his eyes closed. He was also able to tell by taste when someone swapped in a Diet Coke for his Diet Pepsi, and was able to drive to the Kentucky Fired Chicken by smell alone, as he reworked his "Hit the Road, Jack" song to the KFC slogan at the time "Cross the Road, Jack". Proof that blind people can do anything they want except see.

As an aside... Proof that Gay and Lesbian couples can do whatever a straight couple can, except make babies without using a third party. I understand that is a difference between straight and gay couples, but frankly, that should be the only difference. They are just a "handicapped" couple (and only in their baby making potential), and since when do we criminalize handicapped people?

PostPosted: 06 Sep 2018, 20:17 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

:crazy:

PostPosted: 06 Sep 2018, 22:22 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

tripletopper wrote:
forper wrote:

tripletopper wrote:
Forper I assume that was the hatred you were talking about: Calling out ldfan on his "hatred". (maybe "hatred" is too strong of a word, maybe "impassioned ignorance" is better, sounding a little more charitable than "hatred".

I had to think about this in respect if it was worth an effort to reply. However, since it was Forper who somewhat put me on the spot (no hard feelings in any way as I deal w/ this sort of thing on a somewhat daily basis ;) ), I decided that I should at least come to my own defense.

So is it hate? Well, my intentions (at least in my opinion) was not. I was merely pointing out the obvious that I think many of us were already thinking and possibly feeling frustrated about. So at this point, I'm not going to retract what I said. However, some of you will still feel it is hate (or not) and I'm not going to try and change your opinion of that since anything I say now would just sound like I was doing a double take.

Anyway, let me move on from that......

tripletopper wrote:
There's one thing that can cure that kind of "hatred" play a video game in Dolby 5.1 with a Dobly 5.1-> Dobly headphoen converter, and see if the sound cues give you a video game playinfg edge. One game I recommend, and it might not be in Dolby 5.1 is Sonic Lost World on the Apple Juice Boss. Circumnavigating the apple and intercepting the enemy, and making slight adjustments soon enough based off sound cues sounds really satisfying.)

Unless it's not hate. :roll:

Anyway, not interested in games. Maybe when I have a kid someday (hopefully sooner than later :shifty: ), I'll get back into it and let them play it on my awesome 7.1 home theater system (or I'll make them use headphones if I don't want to hear it :lol: )

tripletopper wrote:
Is ldfan a deaf user who can't hear the LD quality and just sees it? There's no shame in that. Ray Charles was an official Laser Disc Spokesman, and he said by sound and music alone, LD is the better format between it and VHS. And Ray Charles is famous for being a blind musician. He even pokes fun at his blindness by saying be can pick the best format with his eyes closed. He was also able to tell by taste when someone swapped in a Diet Coke for his Diet Pepsi, and was able to drive to the Kentucky Fired Chicken by smell alone, as he reworked his "Hit the Road, Jack" song to the KFC slogan at the time "Cross the Road, Jack". Proof that blind people can do anything they want except see.

This is what I mean when I did say what I had to say....

But I get your message in that you're hinting that I'm blind in the way I think. Like I said earlier, it's not about hate but pointing out your intentions. Also, it’s one thing to say you want to "small talk" but let's be coherent on what the talk is about. It can go on tangents (because that's what small talk is) but with you at times it goes beyond that to the point of... "huh?".

tripletopper wrote:
Some might accuse galecookgirl of not even being human, but a auto-post-bot. galecookgirl, prove me wrong and that there is more to you than accusing me of smoking substances. I dare you to prove your humanity. It's not that high of a bar to jump. Just post something other than accusing me of smoking. You might actually enjoy it. ;)

I'm actually going to agree with you on this one. ;)

I have also read her posts (or is it him) and found all eight of the posts lacking in anything constructive (in fact, all eight were really the same stupid comments and I have to wonder if this person just has no life). Also, the person hasn't even started a thread to inquire about anything related to this forum so I wonder why she (he) joined in the first place if one has nothing to say. I think Julien should investigate this and decide if something should done about it.

So I guess I'll leave it at that. Can't spend all day on the forum as I need to make a living.

PostPosted: 07 Sep 2018, 00:11 
Honest fan
Honest fan

signofzeta wrote:
Radio Shack liked to use the name Realistic. JC Penny used to sell rebadged RCA decks. Everyone did it back then in a way. All low end VCRs from Emerson or Goldstar are basically the same junk, sort of aggregators for jobbers, much like Harbor Frieght doesn’t own any factories. They’re just a front end for hundreds of low end mainland factories that sell to Princess Auto, Sears, Meijer, and tons of other places. .

Curious, is the a JCPenney brand Selectavision?

Is there a Mongomery Wards brand laser Disc Player, sort of like there was a Mongomery Ward Video Game System which was really a white Bally Astrocade.

We know of the JCPenney VHS and the Sears Beta. We just need one Selectavision and one Laser Disc and every format from the 70s to just before DVD will have a store version.

And don't forget the format that literally had only ONE company making prerecorded movies for: 8mm. It was Paramount, I got Beverly Hills Cop II in 8mm. As afar as I know, that might be one of 10 OR LESS pre-recorded titles for 8mm. If there's one other than Paramount, I'd be shocked. If Paramount made more than 10 films on 8mm, I'd be shocked. If the quantities of those titles are not as rare as I think they are and are not a good ebay find in a thrift store, I'd be shocked.

I know it's not confusing with store-brand linear media players, when they were called a SearsVCR a "beta" or a JCPenney VCR a "VHS". You know what format of tape to buy. In interactive media, it's a lot more confusing. Counting video games systems alone, these were all considered thriving enough formats to have shelf space at an Electronics Boutique: Atari 2600, Odyssey 2, Bally Astrocade, Intellivision, Farichild Channel F, Colecovision, Atari 5200, Emerson Arcadia 2001, Vectrex, and (a sub format of the 2600, made by a different company than Atari) the Starpath Supercharger (which was originally made by a company called Arcadia, but changed the name of THEIR company to avoid conflict with the Emerson Arcadia 2001) There were 10 proper formats before the Crash and that doesn't include Microvision and dedicated systems like Mattel Football and the various Nintendo Fame and Watches. Add this to the fact that Sears called themselves Telegames and Super Telegames, Radio Shack called theirs Tandyvision, and Mongomery Ward MAYBE called THEIR Ballys by a different name, plus adding to the fact that here are multiple 2600 clones, like the Coleco Gemini, the Colecovision expansion module 1, the Columbia House video game system, if you were a parent and had all these choices, and the kid was too immature to know that there were incompatiblity issues, as a parent, how are you supposed to know that Telegames cartridges work on a 2600 machine and vice versa, but not a Super Telegames machine?

Now it's simple. No one makes a "Gamestop Micromax" a "Walmart Funvision" or names like that. Xbox Ones are clearly labeled Xbox Ones everywhere you buy them. The last clone system that was then-comtemporary was the JVC X-Eye, a version of the Sega Genesis + Sega CD. What's with the special branding in the 70s? Aren't you glad that's gone?

PostPosted: 07 Sep 2018, 11:06 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Yeah I was referring to the OP, seemed legitimate and interesting.

SoZ: Yeah, it was true, Audioboyz, back me up on this.

PostPosted: 07 Sep 2018, 14:30 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

tripletopper wrote:
Now it's simple. No one makes a "Gamestop Micromax" a "Walmart Funvision" or names like that. Xbox Ones are clearly labeled Xbox Ones everywhere you buy them. The last clone system that was then-comtemporary was the JVC X-Eye, a version of the Sega Genesis + Sega CD. What's with the special branding in the 70s? Aren't you glad that's gone?

I think the Hitachi branded HiSaturn and HiSaturn-Navi (versions of the Sega Saturn) would be the last rebadged video game consoles. Granted the name is kinda close to the original, but they're still different enough.

As far as special branding, I dunno. Not really sure if I'm glad it's gone. If anything it shows how loyal you were to a certain department store if you bought their brand of products over the actual branded product. That's definitely something will NEVER come back with the death of so many department stores thanks to the internet.

Page 1 of 3 [ 52 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next