It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 08:52

Page 1 of 2 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: When did Ebay turn into Halfbay?
PostPosted: 29 Jul 2018, 19:16 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Anybody else dealing with this??
I've been a seller on ebay since 1998 and it seems that there is a major flood of half offer buyers now.
Very frustrating and I feel that I need to raise my starting price to get the full amount that I'm looking for now.

Post subject: Re: When did Ebay turn into Halfbay?
PostPosted: 29 Jul 2018, 20:14 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Usually I make lowball offers to encourage haggling.

And if the seller's counteroffers are like a dollar less than the BIN price, I'm not gonna waste my time with them. Why even take offers if you're gonna be like that?

PostPosted: 29 Jul 2018, 20:53 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

It seems like not offering OBO would be the way to get the price you want.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 29 Jul 2018, 21:36 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

signofzeta wrote:

Yes, that's pretty obvious, but when every item listed is receiving a half offer, even 5 dollar items :wtf: its just a joke.

We aren't talking about LDs only, its every item you can imagine.

I'm willing to negotiate but half on everything is just a total joke.

Also in normal business there is no "haggling" or "negotiations" you can't "haggle" for your groceries.

And when you can with lets say a car you can't offer 50% off, you are just an insult and they won't work with you at all.

PostPosted: 29 Jul 2018, 22:09 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

takeshi666 wrote:
Usually I make lowball offers to encourage haggling.

And if the seller's counteroffers are like a dollar less than the BIN price, I'm not gonna waste my time with them. Why even take offers if you're gonna be like that?

How about making fair, reasonable offers, showing respect to people, earning respect yourself and not making the world a crappier place?

PostPosted: 29 Jul 2018, 22:18 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Also when you lowball an offer I as a seller would rather you just go away and not haggle with any lower offers, and I too would come back with a 2 dollar off response....

PostPosted: 29 Jul 2018, 22:26 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Nobody's forcing you to accept them.

PostPosted: 29 Jul 2018, 23:03 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

takeshi666 wrote:
Nobody's forcing you to accept them.

Obviously.

This isn't about 1 random lowball offer, this is about every offer being a lowball offer.

When I have over 100 items on ebay and each gets an offer of half its a little boring.

PostPosted: 29 Jul 2018, 23:45 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

That I can believe. Especially if it's for items that are dirt cheap to begin with. But I don't think you're the only one who's setting their BIN prices really high deliberately to make people offer something that you'd actually be willing to accept. Weird as it may sound, I'm actually a little disappointed when I do the usual bit of "offer a bit less and then haggle the price to what I'd actually be willing to pay", only for the seller to accept the initial offer outright - I get all piped up to negotiate the price and then it doesn't happen, even though this is an ideal situation. Makes me feel like the seller in the haggling scene in Life of Brian!

When I say I make lowball offers tho, I mean I usually try to stick around 2/3 to 3/4 of the BIN price, depending on how badly I actually want the item. Which probably isn't considered lowballing. I really would only offer less than half when the BIN price is way over anything sensible, and I try to get some idea of what the actual market value is based on sold listings, too.

PostPosted: 30 Jul 2018, 03:28 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I despise haggling and absolutely refuse to engage in it unless I’m basically going to die if I don’t have thing and genuinely can’t afford the asking price. In these situations %10 off or whatever is totally useless. Otherwise I just pay the asking price. It’s insulting to quibble about %7 or whatever. Everything from flea markets to the 2014 VW I bought new, I almost never haggle.

That’s why I don’t get why this is complicated. Just put a BIN on it, no OBO, that’s still an option, right? I don’t know honestly, eBay has a lot of stupid policies. If it is...then why the heck aren’t you just doing that? You want the BIN but not half BIN so we’re suppsoed to come up with something in between them? What are you, my girlfriend? Just sell me the f-ing thing, straight up!

I’ve bought a few discs from you, all of which I still have and love. I’d like to buy more since you always have something cool but the prices usually seem a bit high so I just hold off. I don’t have any interest it engaging to obtain a lower price. Ever. So just tell me what you want. If the price in your shop is actually *higher* than what you want because you have to build some predictive psychology into it then...you’re probably doing a great job of selling to people with the haggling mentality but not to my kind and...seriously, who would you rather deal with?

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2018, 03:23 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

There was a guy that would go about 60-70% off on every video game I listed. I eventually just blocked him.

I generally prefer to buy stuff outright (I certainly don't mess with auctions often) but sometimes best offer is nice. Looking in my recent purchase history it's something like 3 out of 25 I used offers.

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2018, 22:45 
Honest fan
Honest fan

I avoid eBay like the plague. Once in a while you find a decent deal, but for the most it's full of nothing but opportunistic, price gougers.

With a little patients and some knowledgeable shopping habits; you can normally find everything at 2nd hand stores and yard sells that you would find on eBay. Only Without the over inflated prices and over charged shipping

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2018, 23:54 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

pizmo wrote:
Once in a while you find a decent deal, but for the most it's full of nothing but opportunistic, price gougers.

You don't say. HMV just released a "VHS retro" line of blu-ray/DVD combo re-releases in a VHS style packaging, but because they're HMV, they only sell to UK customers. I went on ebay and lo and behold, there's someone flipping them for 2x the HMV prices already!

Having the option to go to thrift stores and 2nd hand stores to find what you want would be nice, but considering what a niche something like laserdisc is over here, it's simply not possible so my only choices are the LDDB marketplace and ebay.

PostPosted: 02 Aug 2018, 00:36 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

Some people may not like it, but haggling is seen as normal when selling second-hand; it's common to start offering at less than you're willing to spend, so that the seller will possibly meet you at or around your ideal price.

On Ebay just leave off the best offer option if your price is firm, or you don't want to haggle; I'm not sure how accurate this is, but based off what I've read, most buyers expect a seller to take at least 10% less through best offer on Ebay.

PostPosted: 02 Aug 2018, 00:58 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

God, I hate eBay.

PostPosted: 02 Aug 2018, 01:10 
Honest fan
Honest fan

takeshi666 wrote:
pizmo wrote:
Once in a while you find a decent deal, but for the most it's full of nothing but opportunistic, price gougers.

You don't say. HMV just released a "VHS retro" line of blu-ray/DVD combo re-releases in a VHS style packaging, but because they're HMV, they only sell to UK customers. I went on ebay and lo and behold, there's someone flipping them for 2x the HMV prices already!

Having the option to go to thrift stores and 2nd hand stores to find what you want would be nice, but considering what a niche something like laserdisc is over here, it's simply not possible so my only choices are the LDDB marketplace and ebay.
I guess I am more fortunate when it comes to having access to stores that still sale laserdiscs. There is a half priced books and a retro video game store that both sale laserdiscs that are a couple of blocks from my house. So I don't really have to bother with eBay except to find the more rare titles.

I'm sorry that you don't have a lot of alternatives, because the price gougers on eBay know that there are people like you out there that do not have many options and that's how they can get away with such inflated prices.

PostPosted: 02 Aug 2018, 01:11 
Honest fan
Honest fan

signofzeta wrote:
God, I hate eBay.

Me too

PostPosted: 02 Aug 2018, 01:25 
Honest fan
Honest fan

rein-o wrote:
signofzeta wrote:

Yes, that's pretty obvious, but when every item listed is receiving a half offer, even 5 dollar items :wtf: its just a joke.

We aren't talking about LDs only, its every item you can imagine.

I'm willing to negotiate but half on everything is just a total joke.

Also in normal business there is no "haggling" or "negotiations" you can't "haggle" for your groceries.

And when you can with lets say a car you can't offer 50% off, you are just an insult and they won't work with you at all.

I guess it depends on what you sale on eBay.

Yea you can't "haggle for your groceries" but your groceries also aren't 2nd hand products (at least I hope they are not). When you are dealing in vintage electronics and whatnot then you have to expect some negotiating and leave yourself some wiggle room in your asking price. Im with takeshi666 on that one; nothing is more annoying then making a reasonable offer and the seller counters by knocking $1 off the price.

PostPosted: 02 Aug 2018, 01:44 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

As far as hating eBay, if it wasn't them it'd just be another online commerce site. In general it's good to have around for a great many things that would be basically impossible to find for many people locally. I bought loads of Japanese video games from 2005 to about 2012 on eBay. Much nicer than having to deal with proxy sites to get stuff out of Japan. Of course now that Japan has been strip mined of games and the prices are sky high I don't buy too many old Japanese games these days.

I would definitely disagree that you can find anything off eBay and for less, sometimes it just isn't possible. I once got a video transcoder for 10 cents on eBay. I actually sent them extra paypal to cover their shipping after the fact, lol.

PostPosted: 02 Aug 2018, 02:03 
Honest fan
Honest fan

gypsy wrote:
As far as hating eBay, if it wasn't them it'd just be another online commerce site. In general it's good to have around for a great many things that would be basically impossible to find for many people locally. I bought loads of Japanese video games from 2005 to about 2012 on eBay. Much nicer than having to deal with proxy sites to get stuff out of Japan. Of course now that Japan has been strip mined of games and the prices are sky high I don't buy too many old Japanese games these days.

I would definitely disagree that you can find anything off eBay and for less, sometimes it just isn't possible. I once got a video transcoder for 10 cents on eBay. I actually sent them extra paypal to cover their shipping after the fact, lol.

I saw an eBay listing the other day for Super Mario World with no box or manual just a loose cartridge and the asking price was $60. That is the kind of stuff I am talking about. There's making a little money and then there is price gouging and $60 for the most common snes game of all time is price gouging

Page 1 of 2 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next